The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #631 of 1,969
I wouldn't be worried guys, even the world's best smartphones aren't completely bug-free.  
Pono is very stable overall.

I don't agree. I bought this device to play music without interruptions. There's an implied contract with the maker that the device will do its job reliably, and "stuttering" incidents destroy the flow of any piece of music in which they occur. To me this isn't acceptable. It's too late for me to get an exchange from Fry's but I'll try Pono support and see about having them replace the player.

Thanks to the other responders here, I know that at least some other Pono players have a problem. It's time to let the Pono people know.

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #632 of 1,969

I rarely ever ran into interruptions on the Pono player.  That would lead me to believe its an issue with the file your playing.  some type of anomaly with the quality of it.  What program did you rip the file with, and what format? 

Also, what firmware version are you on, with the Pono?

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #633 of 1,969
Something similar would happen with my player, but once in a blue moon and it wouldn't happen again for a long time.

I had mine sent for repairs for unrelated defects (slow transfer rate, battery, appearance of screen burn in issues at times).

Can't wait to get it back tomorrow, is been like 2 weeks of a musical void.

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #634 of 1,969
I don't agree. I bought this device to play music without interruptions. There's an implied contract with the maker that the device will do its job reliably, and "stuttering" incidents destroy the flow of any piece of music in which they occur. To me this isn't acceptable. It's too late for me to get an exchange from Fry's but I'll try Pono support and see about having them replace the player.

Thanks to the other responders here, I know that at least some other Pono players have a problem. It's time to let the Pono people know.

Goodluck, please let us know when Pono make the perfect player for you, so we can have one too.

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #635 of 1,969
Every product has its lemons.  If you got one then get it fixed, or be open minded enough to consider that it's just a few players with issues, not the design (and you must consider operator error as a contributing factor.  Are you using PMW and loading the player exactly the way Pono instructs?)  In any case, slamming any product as a whole because you are having issues is really silly.  Should I slam all Ford Motor Company products because I once owned a Lincoln LS that was plagued with problems?  No.  It was my car with problems, not the entire company.  It happens.

And for the record my Pono Player works perfectly, as designed.

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #636 of 1,969
deadhorse.gif

Both of mine work perfectly.  Might be your player, might be your files, might be your tagging.  

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #637 of 1,969
After a couple of weeks without my Pono I finally got it back from repairs today. It still has the same issue I sent it in for, extremely slow transfer rate. It's projecting over 2 days of syncing for 51 gb..

Anyone else have a similar issue in the past or know of a fix for this?

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #638 of 1,969
@TheTrace ,
I would make sure your using a USB 2.0 port or better.  I know the Pono only supports 2.0, and many choose to side load it directly onto a card.  Are you using the PMW software to transfer?  Side loading might be a better choice.  Just copy and past to the Pono itself via a file explorer.  Should show up as a drive letter.

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #639 of 1,969
If you had the Pono in for repairs and it's still slow to load files, I would think it's NOT the Pono.  USB port, USB cable, methodology of transferring, or something with your files.   Plug it into your computer, make sure file transfer is on, and then drag over some files directly from the computer to the Pono.  An album of FLAC 16/44 should take less than 20-30 seconds to transfer. If it tells you minutes, try a different USB port/cable.  Or copy and paste as mentioned above.  

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #640 of 1,969
After a couple of weeks without my Pono I finally got it back from repairs today. It still has the same issue I sent it in for, extremely slow transfer rate. It's projecting over 2 days of syncing for 51 gb..

Anyone else have a similar issue in the past or know of a fix for this?

I thought the Pono I had was a slow load, but that is crazy!!!

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #641 of 1,969
Another way to check is to load files directly to your 64gb card that came with the Pono using a card reader (not while inserted in the Pono).   That should load considerably faster than the internal of the Pono.  If IT also says two days, now you know you've got a non-Pono issue.  You could also try loading with the card IN the Pono and see how that goes.  

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #642 of 1,969
I rarely ever used PMW for managing music on my device, only now that I'm seeking desperate measures, I've resorted to it.

My Pono seemed to gradually decline in transfer speed over time, to the point where I can no longer copy an album without expecting an obscene amount of time. I used to copy to the SD and play my files before it even got to this point, but I'd like to be able to utilize the core storage of the device to fit my whole library.

I have suspected that it could be the computer/usb slot, etc. but I don't have these issues with transferring files between my USB flash, SD cards and synching my phone, so that leaves me unsure again.

The transfer rate averages at a constant 355 Kbps for most of the time. When I'm lucky it will sporadically spoke to around 5 MB/s and then come to a complete halt. From there it will either stop the process or go back to the average transfer rate.

That's just my experience a few weeks prior to sending it off and then receiving it again.

Outside of that I love the device and the way it reproduces music (despite the system defects, still listening via sd card), I just hope I acquire a fully functional one soon.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #643 of 1,969

Being an IT technician, here are my thoughts on your issue. 
First, I would try a different computer, and see if the issue follows the Pono.  That would help diagnose where the issue lies.  I'm wondering if you picked up a malware on your computer that is causing this issue. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #644 of 1,969

Being an IT technician, here are my thoughts on your issue. 
First, I would try a different computer, and see if the issue follows the Pono.  That would help diagnose where the issue lies.  I'm wondering if you picked up a malware on your computer that is causing this issue. 

I had thought of this as well, so a couple of hours ago I actually ended up trying the transfer on another computer. I had taken my USB flash backup of my music library and tried to transfers from that to my Pono. No luck, I got the same average 355 kb/s.

I'm lead to believe maybe a faulty drive in the Pono?

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #645 of 1,969
The transfer speed of the Pono is empirically slow, regardless of whether one uses the software or sideloads...I love my Pono to tears, but there's just no getting around that fact...

That said, it certainly shouldn't be THAT slow, however, I have my doubts that it is the Pono in this case.
I fear that you'll be constantly disappointed should you continue to RMA and replace.

I'd look a bit closer at the PC you are using...Are your drivers up to date?  Have you tried another cable?  Is your PC limiting your ports as some sort of "power-saving" feature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back