The Pono Player Impressions Thread
May 29, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #601 of 1,969
  Pono and Oppo Pm3's = 
basshead.gif

amps need not apply...

Audeze El-8 may sound a bit better for $300 more but a much bulkier headphone.

I will return from The Show Newport most likely with many combinations to suggest
looking into.

beerchug.gif

jhv

You must really bump the volume to fully enjoy the PM-3 SE through Pono....I am on my second tour with the PM-3 because I thought I must have been wrong the first time around and they still are just kinda boring...blah. I am trying, I really want to like them.

May 29, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #602 of 1,969
I was on the tour off the PM-1, was not impressed, MUCH preferred my HE-560!

May 30, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #603 of 1,969
Does anyone have any experience with Grado headphones, un-amped, through the PONO? I have been a long-time IEM user, but was looking toward getting a full-sized headphone that is easily driven, un-amped.

I sometimes run my Grado 325e with Pono. It sounds quite clean, open and detailed. Plenty enough power single ended. The 325e take on a good percentage of Pono's airy, effortless signature. I just don't do it much because 325e have a snake of a cable which stresses Pono's headphone out a little.

But, I also have OCD about this anytime.

May 30, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #604 of 1,969
I've had a Pono player since December and have enjoyed it thoroughly with my HD600s. I want to make the jump getting a balanced cable and seeing how that sounds. Here in the UK, I've seen a cable that is basically an HD650 stock cable that has had the single 3.5 jack replaced with two 3.5 jacks. My questions are: Is that a truly balanced cable? Is it that simple? If it is, would it be easy for me to do that myself? Thanks for any help guys

May 30, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #605 of 1,969
Does anyone have any experience with Grado headphones, un-amped, through the PONO? I have been a long-time IEM user, but was looking toward getting a full-sized headphone that is easily driven, un-amped.

I have the PS500 which (from what I've read) has quite some bass in the picture compared to other Grado's...imo it sounds OK (but not great) single ended from the Pono, the sq is a bit thin when I compare it to the sq out of my X5/C5(+ bassboost) stack...

Maybe the 325e which H20Fidelity described above is easier to drive and therefor a better choice...

May 30, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #606 of 1,969
  I have 25ohm Tralucent 1Plus2 here I can try later, though it misses the mark by a few ohms on the impedance factor.

Just curious, how do you like your 1Plus2 (single ended I guess?) from Pono?

May 30, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #607 of 1,969
  Just curious, how do you like your 1Plus2 (single ended I guess?) from Pono?

I haven't tried them yet, I use 1Plus2 with DX90. I will eventually, I have this looney little concept about pairing one player with one IEM then never separating them. Well, as a pairing. It's just some strange little habit I've picked up along my audio journey. This leaves my Pono player with GR07 atm which is exciting but also leaving an opening for a new IEM purchase for Pono. Step up the game!

May 30, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #608 of 1,969
I haven't tried them yet, I use 1Plus2 with DX90. I will eventually, I have this looney little concept about pairing one player with one IEM then never separating them. Well, as a pairing. It's just some strange little habit I've picked up along my audio journey. This leaves my Pono player with GR07 atm which is exciting but also leaving an opening for a new IEM purchase for Pono. Step up the game!

Ohw, I see. So, your knapsack (on which you posted in the Tralucent thread recently) stays in the corner of your room then...http://www.head-fi.org/t/623514/tralucent-audio-1plus2-iem-impressions-thread/5700#post_11637152
...waiting in vain for another sunset?
wink.gif

May 30, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #609 of 1,969
Ohw, I see. So, your knapsack (on which you posted in the Tralucent thread recently) stays in the corner of your room then...http://www.head-fi.org/t/623514/tralucent-audio-1plus2-iem-impressions-thread/5700#post_11637152
...waiting in vain for another sunset? :wink:  

Haha! Well, it wouldn't be Head-fi otherwise, one needs to ponder. :wink:

No immediate plans though. I really enjoy a nice dynamic driver IEM, GR07 is quite the performer. Sometimes I feel they deserve Pono all for themselves.

But Dita the answer has crossed my mind a few times.

May 30, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #610 of 1,969
Haha! Well, it wouldn't be Head-fi otherwise, one needs to ponder.
wink.gif

No immediate plans though. I really enjoy a nice dynamic driver IEM, GR07 is quite the performer. Sometimes I feel they deserve Pono all for themselves.

But Dita the answer has crossed my mind a few times.

Maybe the XBA-Z5 is also a nice option? It comes with a balanced cable for you Pono and imo it has extremely good synergy with DX90 (which you already have). Lol, I've posted this Z5 information probably too many times in different threads by now...some kinda broken record feeling about it myself
tongue.gif

I've auditioned Dita the Answer once (mainly with X5) from another dutch head-fier and although they sounded pretty good, I wasn't blown away immediately. But later on I've read that you have to give them some time to get used too...Well, within some weeks I'll probably get the chance to try them again with DX90 & Pono...

May 30, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #611 of 1,969

Maybe the XBA-Z5 is also a nice option? It comes with a balanced cable for you Pono and imo it has extremely good synergy with DX90 (which you already have). Lol, I've posted this Z5 information probably too many times in different threads by now...some kinda broken record feeling about it myself
tongue.gif

I've auditioned Dita the Answer once (mainly with X5) from another dutch head-fier and although they sounded pretty good, I wasn't blown away immediately. But later on I've read that you have to give them some time to get used too...Well, within some weeks I'll probably get the chance to try them again with DX90 & Pono... But later on I've read that you have to give them some time to get used too...Well, within some weeks I'll probably get the chance to try them again with DX90 & Pono...

This is where my Head-Fi safety mechanism kicks in. I won't buy anything over $500 without audition.  I guess Z5 is an option, though I really want a full dynamic IEM, I have too many hybrids. this time round its all about finding something organic and natural, need to counterattack the balanced armatures in my stable. Tried EX1000, didn't like them much.  Not too keen on IE800. What I should do is take Pono to our local demo store and try a few IEMs. 

May 30, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #613 of 1,969
  This is where my Head-Fi safety mechanism kicks in. I won't buy anything over $500 without audition.  I guess Z5 is an option, though I really want a full dynamic IEM, I have too many hybrids. this time round its all about finding something organic and natural, need to counterattack the balanced armatures in my stable. Tried EX1000, didn't like them much.  Not too keen on IE800. What I should do is take Pono to our local demo store and try a few IEMs. 

That's a great mechanism you have over there...I bought my Z5 < $500 in the classifieds on hf, but my safety mechanism completely broke down 2 days ago when I saw a good deal on a 2nd hands Chord Hugo...but that's another story for another thread
biggrin.gif

Demoing iems in a store is not possible in this country => when you can do that (lucky you...) it's a great way to find out about synergy with your Pono I guess...

May 30, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #614 of 1,969
  I've had a Pono player since December and have enjoyed it thoroughly with my HD600s. I want to make the jump getting a balanced cable and seeing how that sounds. Here in the UK, I've seen a cable that is basically an HD650 stock cable that has had the single 3.5 jack replaced with two 3.5 jacks. My questions are: Is that a truly balanced cable? Is it that simple? If it is, would it be easy for me to do that myself? Thanks for any help guys

After I went from SE to balanced with my PP and HD650, the difference was night and day. Just a completely different experience, better in every single way. Charlie Hansen voiced the Pono in balanced mode with the HD650, and demoed it that way at a show. A wonderful combination.

May 30, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #615 of 1,969

I don't know exactly how you can make the stock HD600 cable balanced for Pono. But! I know you can buy one ready to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLEARANCE-Balanced-cable-for-HD650-HD600-with-TRS-plugs-for-the-PONO-Player-/131517915579?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9f1421bb

Do things the 'true' Head-fi way. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back