The Pono Player Impressions Thread
May 20, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #586 of 1,969
I didn't care for the PM-3 single-ended or balanced from the AK120 ii or Pono single-ended. Sounded a bit dull and lifeless. Pono balanced was completely different - the PM-3 came to life. It's even good out of the HM-700 via balanced cable.

Thanks for that! How did you cable it?

May 20, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #588 of 1,969

I already had a 3.5mm TRRS to Pono adapter cable (from Moon Audio), so all I needed was a 3.5mm M-M TRRS cable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PLTXJIU

You need to remove the metal cover on one end to fit into the PM-3. This cable works as-is with the MIFIMAN HM700 and HM-901 with balanced amp card. 

I also have a PM-3 to Pono on order from Double Helix Cables.

May 20, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #589 of 1,969
  I already had a 3.5mm TRRS to Pono adapter cable (from Moon Audio), so all I needed was a 3.5mm M-M TRRS cable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PLTXJIU

You need to remove the metal cover on one end to fit into the PM-3. This cable works as-is with the MIFIMAN HM700 and HM-901 with balanced amp card. 

I also have a PM-3 to Pono on order from Double Helix Cables.

I was the one who originally posted about that cable but the one I got had some damage on one end beneath the metal cover that caused a short. Haven't tried another one yet.

How much did the TRRS to Pono adapter cost? It may be a better solution for me than my current plan.

May 20, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #590 of 1,969

I was the one who originally posted about that cable but the one I got had some damage on one end beneath the metal cover that caused a short. Haven't tried another one yet.

How much did the TRRS to Pono adapter cost? It may be a better solution for me than my current plan.

Still waiting (6 weeks) for the DHC cable. The adapter from Moon Audio was $110. I went that route originally since I have lots of cables (headphone and IEM) terminated in the 3.5mm TRRS to uwse with my HIFIMAN DAPs. So far, the cheap cable has been working well for me.

May 28, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #591 of 1,969
Quite impressed how my pair of Vsonic GR07 MK2 sound from Pono. 

While my 100ohm ER4S do sound great I think single ended they test Pono's power output. Using the lower 50ohm GR07 lets the player breath and show its ability a little more. Great sense of detail and coherency coming out of the dynamic driver GR07 during my testing.  Good sense of musicality whilst remaining quite natural.

I may move the ER4S onto another player keeping these GR07 with Pono for a while. 

I have 25ohm Tralucent 1Plus2 here I can try later, though it misses the mark by a few ohms on the impedance factor.

May 28, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #592 of 1,969
Impedance schmempedance.  Try it.  Then let us know.  
smile.gif

May 28, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #593 of 1,969
Too much science....enjoyment factor is not based in numbers and formulas. In the days of vinyl we couldn't wait for the next album from our favorite bands. We enjoyed our music. Only the "intellectual" music such as Rush was to be analyzed in a haze.

May 29, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #598 of 1,969
Does anyone have any experience with Grado headphones, un-amped, through the PONO? I have been a long-time IEM user, but was looking toward getting a full-sized headphone that is easily driven, un-amped.

May 29, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #599 of 1,969
Pono and Oppo Pm3's = 
basshead.gif

amps need not apply...

Audeze El-8 may sound a bit better for $300 more but a much bulkier headphone.

I will return from The Show Newport most likely with many combinations to suggest
looking into.

beerchug.gif

jhv

May 29, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #600 of 1,969
Pono and Oppo Pm3's = :basshead:   

amps need not apply...

Audeze El-8 may sound a bit better for $300 more but a much bulkier headphone.

I will return from The Show Newport most likely with many combinations to suggest
looking into.

:beerchug:

jhv

Thanks, and keep 'Em coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back