The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #661 of 1,969
Heart Of Gold is not the best track to hear differences.  I did Revealer transfers on a couple of 24/192 tracks in my library and, while the differences are subtle they are there.  I found MP3 to be grainy, like sand was mixed with grease on a bearing.  I could "feel" it.  Set my teeth on edge.  The next few levels up sounded pretty much the same, a slight bit of widening of the soundstage, maybe a bit more clarity as you go up.  Smoothness?  A very slight if any difference between iTunes and 16/44.  I couldn't tell much between 16/44 and 24/96.  But going up to 24/192 from 16/44 gave the tracks a bit more "room," they sounded more open.  Like the sound was in a big room.  In a good way.  So the only ones I was really sure of were the MP3 and the 24/192.  Especially the MP3, 

And as always, a well-mixed and recorded 16/44 will sound better than a poorly-mixed and recorded DSD.  And Pono swears that the algorithm they use in the Revealer is correct.  YMMV.  

And please, no sound science here, the mod has already been very clear that only Pono discussion is appropriate on this thread.  My comments are to be taken only as a commentary of my experience with the Pono Revealer and in no way are they anything to do with sound science or the relative merits of one format against another.  

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #663 of 1,969
Do any you guys know if the pono screen display better the fiio X1 or x3ii?

That's a good question...I honestly love my Pono, but, the screen is not what I would consider to be a strong point...Your tolerance may vary.
Pono was not kidding when they said they built a purpose-driven device...The sound quality was not only the top priority, but, the only priority (which I can certainly appreciate).

Its' sound quality is comparable, IMO, to devices costing hundreds more...The battery life and screen, on the other hand...well.... 

I've been wondering the same about the X5ii...Hopefully someone will be kind enough to provide a direct comparison.

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #664 of 1,969
That's a good question...I honestly love my Pono, but, the screen is not what I would consider to be a strong point...Your tolerance may vary.
Pono was not kidding when they said they built a purpose-driven device...The sound quality was not only the top priority, but, the only priority (which I can certainly appreciate).

Its' sound quality is comparable, IMO, to devices costing hundreds more...The battery life and screen, on the other hand...well.... 

I've been wondering the same about the X5ii...Hopefully someone will be kind enough to provide a direct comparison.
what kind of battery life are you getting and what files you have like mp3 or flac?

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #665 of 1,969
To be fair, I am using a balanced connection and hi-res files exclusively, so, my results are obviously going to be on the extreme end of the use case.

I haven't done any analysis of my usage, since I don't listen for the duration of an entire charge, and it basically sits parked on my desk...I simply charge it when I need to, but I'd say 4 hours or so of hi-res balanced listening.

I could try a full charge tonight, run it down, and let you know, but I think my estimates are pretty close.

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #666 of 1,969
To be fair, I am using a balanced connection and hi-res files exclusively, so, my results are obviously going to be on the extreme end of the use case.

I haven't done any analysis of my usage, since I don't listen for the duration of an entire charge, and it basically sits parked on my desk...I simply charge it when I need to, but I'd say 4 hours or so of hi-res balanced listening.

I could try a full charge tonight, run it down, and let you know, but I think my estimates are pretty close.
anything else you can tell me about the player. I'm sitting in between the pono and astell and kern 100 ii

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #667 of 1,969
anything else you can tell me about the player. I'm sitting in between the pono and astell and kern 100 ii

Brother, it depends on the price you can get...If you're talking $799 or $899, I don't know if that screen/UI is double the price (or more) better...If you can get it refurbished or used for $650 or something, the build quality and fantastic UI might be considered a "bargain."

Are you planning on using it as a desktop DAC?
The A&K also allows wireless updates and network streaming via wi-fi, if that is important to you...That's actually a huge plus, IMO.

Also, if you're going to be driving some power-hungry cans, I really like Pono's true balanced operation...Others can chime in, but, it MAY provide you with a bit more grunt power/headroom.

If you have or are plan on getting into DSD, the Pono's DAC plays DSD natively, as opposed to the A+K converting to PCM first(If that matters to you, not engaging in that debate).

Form factor is, of course, a subjective thing...

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #668 of 1,969
Do any you guys know if the pono screen display better the fiio X1 or x3ii?

I own X1 and X3II. The screen on Pono is about the same visually, maybe even a slight nod to the FiiO units. Like mentioned Pono feels quite light, plasticky, and the screen reflects this too.

It does sound great. :)

My Pono player went flying off my bed a few days ago when quickly lifting the sheets, It lives on. Bless it.

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #669 of 1,969
I own X1 and X3II. The screen on Pono is about the same visually, maybe even a slight nod to the FiiO units. Like mentioned Pono feels quite light, plasticky, and the screen reflects this too.

It does sound great.
smily_headphones1.gif

My Pono player went flying off my bed a few days ago when quickly lifting the sheets, It lives on. Bless it.

Yes, Pono feels light in the hand, and the case, especially on the LE units, IMO, feels cheap as all get out.

THAT SAID, it is a tough little person...I have CP and I'm in a motorized chair, so my hands are a bit shaky...I've dropped by Pono from my chair to the floor on a few occasions (OK, maybe more) and that thing is still a champ, so, looks are deceiving, in this "case." haha 

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #670 of 1,969
Yes, Pono feels light in the hand, and the case, especially on the LE units, IMO, feels cheap as all get out.

THAT SAID, it is a tough little person...I have CP and I'm in a motorized chair, so my hands are a bit shaky...I've dropped by Pono from my chair to the floor on a few occasions (OK, maybe more) and that thing is still a champ, so, looks are deceiving, in this "case." haha 

And so it was the 'case', that Pono lived on. :wink:

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #671 of 1,969

It does sound great. :)

but the UI is better than the fiio right? I have mainly mp3's and some glass. Hopefully battery can last to 8 hours

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #673 of 1,969
but the UI is better than the fiio right? I have mainly mp3's and some glass. Hopefully battery can last to 8 hours

Yes, to me the user interface is easier to use than FiiO X1 or X3II especially one handed. I really enjoy the collapsible layout for album browsing, it's unique imo.

I only run 16 bit FLAC myself.

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #674 of 1,969

I'm not a big believer in telling others what to do, and I especially hate when people start sentences with "You should", but, I'm going to suspend my own belief system for a moment here and say that, if you have mainly mp3s, you honestly might want to seriously consider saving some coin and going with a Pono or even an Fiio X1 for $99.

The A&K MIGHT feel like a bit of overkill, IMO, and your mp3s will still sound better than an ipod on either device.

I know the upgrade impulse is strong in this place, but, my advice is to buy for what you use...If you find yourself ripping more of your music into loseless or you get into hi-res later on down the line, then take a bigger leap...

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #675 of 1,969
I'm not a big believer in telling others what to do, and I especially hate when people start sentences with "You should", but, I'm going to suspend my own belief system for a moment here and say that, if you have mainly mp3s, you honestly might want to seriously consider saving some coin and going with a Pono or even an Fiio X1 for $99.

The A&K MIGHT feel like a bit of overkill, IMO, and your mp3s will still sound better than an ipod on either device.

I know the upgrade impulse is strong in this place, but, my advice is to buy for what you use...If you find yourself ripping more of your music into loseless or you get into hi-res later on down the line, then take a bigger leap...
I have a x1 but I also have 9000 songs and that turn wheel is a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back