The Pono Player Impressions Thread
May 30, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #616 of 1,969
Actually yes you can simply chop off the stereo plug on some cables and solder on the required plug for balanced, like 4 pole TRRS or twin 3.5mm plugs for Pono. It solely depends on if the cable is internally 3 wire or 4 wire, only 4 wire cables can be converted to balanced. For example, AKG K701 cable is known to be 4 wire, so can simply chop the plug and solder a new one for balanced. But all the detachable cable models of AKG like K702 only use 3 wire cables, so it only works on the K701.

May 30, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #617 of 1,969
Read the info on the Pono site about making a balanced cable.  Doing it wrong runs a real risk of massive internal damage to the Pono.  There are also posts by me and others scattered through the Pono threads here about this.  

May 31, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #621 of 1,969
After finding a velcro strap to bind Grado's snake cable on the side of Pono player I've been using 325e a good few hours. It sounds brilliant... besides quite a narrow soundstage. Not a deal breaker.

The weird part is 325e have a wider soundstage with DX50. But any other IEM or headphone with Pono exceeds DX50's soundstage. Some bizarre little synergy aspect happening.

May 31, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #622 of 1,969
Last night I was listening to music with the Pono Player, when it became silent for a second. The music came back. The track is known to be good, both on the Pono when listening earlier and in the main library.

This is the third time I've had an anomaly with the player, in a total of about 20 hours of use. The first two times the player was playing as it should, then "stuttered" for about two seconds, and then went back to playing normally. I'm thinking this unit may be defective.

Has anyone else here experienced problems like these? I'm thinking a player shouldn't do this but maybe I'm asking too much.

May 31, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #623 of 1,969
  Last night I was listening to music with the Pono Player, when it became silent for a second. The music came back. The track is known to be good, both on the Pono when listening earlier and in the main library.

This is the third time I've had an anomaly with the player, in a total of about 20 hours of use. The first two times the player was playing as it should, then "stuttered" for about two seconds, and then went back to playing normally. I'm thinking this unit may be defective.

Has anyone else here experienced problems like these? I'm thinking a player shouldn't do this but maybe I'm asking too much.

Mine has shut down once mid song followed by the blue light briefly blinking. I rebooted.

Not long after it stuttered like you said once for about 1-2 seconds.

So its not completely unheard of. If it helps my player is fine weeks later and not done any of the above again.

May 31, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #624 of 1,969

Mine has shut down once mid song followed by the blue light briefly blinking. I rebooted.

Not long after it stuttered like you said once for about 1-2 seconds.

So its not completely unheard of. If it helps my player is fine weeks later and not done any of the above again.

I have had a couple of shut downs...I held the power button for 10 seconds and no issues.

May 31, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #625 of 1,969

I have had a couple of shut downs...I held the power button for 10 seconds and no issues.

It's reminiscent of a minor big somewhere in the firmware the way it happens.

I wouldn't be worried guys, even the world's best smartphones aren't completely bug-free.

Pono is very stable overall.

May 31, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #626 of 1,969

It's reminiscent of a minor big somewhere in the firmware the way it happens.

I wouldn't be worried guys, even the world's best smartphones aren't completely bug-free.

Pono is very stable overall.

I wasn't worried in the least bit worried I was merely letting the other poster know it happens.

May 31, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #627 of 1,969

I wasn't worried in the least bit worried I was merely letting the other poster know it happens.

And all I was doing was telling that member not to worry as well. 

But if you ever freak out (on the off chance) please let me mail you one of my valium. 
wink.gif

May 31, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #628 of 1,969

And all I was doing was telling that member not to worry as well. 

But if you ever freak out (on the off chance) please let me mail you one of my valium. 
wink.gif

Ugh! Xanax moment but your 2000J could help me stop freaking out

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #629 of 1,969
Per your request:

the Astell&Kern AK T5p / Beyerdynamic headphones need to be tried on a Pono - has anyone?

A big suprise at "the show" Newport was listening to the final Mr. Speakers Ether driven by the Pono.  Hi-fi news and record review has a great review of the Oppo Pm-3's which I listen to comfortably at 40-60%.  I still believe these to be one of the most cost effective combinations out there and that the sound should satisfy a wide variety of styles and taste.  The "Ether" e.g. $1400 - ouch! - but they are amazing...

cheers,  
beerchug.gif

jhv

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #630 of 1,969
I had the AKT5P, sold it in a week... So underwhelming for the price, they sound unnatural and tinny. The Kennerton Magister I've recently bought does exactly what the AKT5P failed to do, but was aiming for, which is an exceedingly neutral and detailed sound that does not lack timbre, body or bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back