the Pimeta-V2 thread
Feb 25, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #646 of 651
That refers to Input Ground, which typically would float. I seem to recall isolated jacks were a ting for this reason.

(only responding as I got a notification from the wayback machine. I'm not actually back)
The fact that you posted period brought a grin to my face.

Oct 24, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #647 of 651
Hey Everyone! It took me nearly a decade, but I finally got my PIMETA v2 working. I think the core issue from the past were no-so-great jacks that we're making weird connections. I replaced all the buffers and blew up a few opamps in the process of troubleshooting. Using a TREAD for a nice clean power source. Currently using an OPA227 for ground, and OPA827 for L/R because I had 'em. Just ordered opa1641 and opa1642 that I intend to test and put direct on the SMT side of the board. Cheers everyone!

Oct 25, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #648 of 651
Hey Everyone! It took me nearly a decade, but I finally got my PIMETA v2 working. I think the core issue from the past were no-so-great jacks that we're making weird connections. I replaced all the buffers and blew up a few opamps in the process of troubleshooting. Using a TREAD for a nice clean power source. Currently using an OPA227 for ground, and OPA827 for L/R because I had 'em. Just ordered opa1641 and opa1642 that I intend to test and put direct on the SMT side of the board. Cheers everyone!
Use my Pimeta V2 and PPAv2 everyday. Since 2008/2009.

I look at some current commercial hotties like $$$ MASS-Kobo and chuckle. I doubt a commercial product at 5x the cost of the BOM of Tangent will come close. But labor and effort are on the DIYers tab, of course.

Too bad that Tangent seems completely worn out with these projects, now, and supporting PCB offerings and parts-for sale.
Warren Young is worn old. WhY?
I have DL's all the Tangetnsoft HTML pages and zip files for PCBs.

Oct 25, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #649 of 651
Use my Pimeta V2 and PPAv2 everyday. Since 2008/2009.

I look at some current commercial hotties like $$$ MASS-Kobo and chuckle. I doubt a commercial product at 5x the cost of the BOM of Tangent will come close. But labor and effort are on the DIYers tab, of course.
I have DL's all the Tangetnsoft HTML pages and zip files for PCBs.
I feel like the Pimeta and PPA are really excellent designs. Hats off to Tangent for offering PCB source files! Has anyone tried to organize a group order?

Oct 27, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #650 of 651
I feel like the Pimeta and PPA are really excellent designs. Hats off to Tangent for offering PCB source files! Has anyone tried to organize a group order?
I have managed to create PCBs based on Tangent's ancient az fukk "Design Files". Simply using Tangent's ancient fukkin' Eagle files ain't effin' enouf. I use https://jlcpcb.com/ -- and submitting Warren Young's old files will give error messages. You'll have to tweak. I have manged to create the xfeed and (with much after tweaking) Pimeta v2. JLPCB is very cheap and their automation and customer support are excellent.
But frankly, for something so simple as xfeed, it' best to just Veroboard it.
The TREAD is "okay" at best. It is an old, basic, datasheet design (see LM317 pdf) -- and there are much better options.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #651 of 651
I have managed to create PCBs based on Tangent's ancient az fukk "Design Files". Simply using Tangent's ancient fukkin' Eagle files ain't effin' enouf. I use https://jlcpcb.com/ -- and submitting Warren Young's old files will give error messages. You'll have to tweak. I have manged to create the xfeed and (with much after tweaking) Pimeta v2. JLPCB is very cheap and their automation and customer support are excellent.
But frankly, for something so simple as xfeed, it' best to just Veroboard it.
The TREAD is "okay" at best. It is an old, basic, datasheet design (see LM317 pdf) -- and there are much better options.

Saw this late, but you need to clarify that statement above. What exactly would you consider better and at the price? IMHO, the TREAD hits the sweet-spot between audible power supply noise removal and price. It's true that Jameco offers linear-regulated walwarts that perform at nearly the same level, but the TREAD is still cheaper when you combine it with a used AC supply (Class II 24VAC power supplies can be found used from numerous industries - building controls, security, etc.)

The only disadvantage for the TREAD is its lack of refinement in a packaging design, but this is supposed to be DIY, after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back