The Phiaton MS 300 & MS 400
May 17, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #16 of 24

Quote:
I would like clarification on the cable on the MS300 and the MS400.

From the pics, it looks like the MS400 has cables on both left and right sides, whereas the MS300 has a single-sided cable on the left. Is this correct?

Hey Mochan,

You are correct. One cable on the left side for MS 300 and Dual Cables for the MS 400.

May 21, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #17 of 24
I really want to order the MS300 but I'm torn because I love my low freqs and I feel I'll be longing for the MS400. But I don't want the MS400 because I require a single-sided cable. I wish there were a single-sided version of the MS400. Why exactly do headphone designers still do double sided cables? I mean for full sets or Grados I can understand but for something like this I can't help but think it was a missed opportunity not to have the MS400 single-sided, considering the MS300 already is.

Anyway I'm still a little torn, will probably end up with the MS300.

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #19 of 24
I just purchased the MS400 and love the sound, for the most part. Is the PS500 a worthy upgrade? Does it keep the MS400 sound but refine it a bit?

Also, I'm not sure why the MS400 is called circumaural. Only a newborns ears would fit inside these red pads.

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
I just purchased the MS400 and love the sound, for the most part. Is the PS500 a worthy upgrade? Does it keep the MS400 sound but refine it a bit?

Also, I'm not sure why the MS400 is called circumaural. Only a newborns ears would fit inside these red pads.

Hey There Beagle!

I'm glad you love the sound!!! That's always been priority 1 for us.

I would say the PS 500 is not an upgrade. It has a very different sound signature so you'd have to be the judge. Also, the PS 500 is not considered portable as it does not fold up so it's considered in a different class really.

MS 400 is our flagship portable. I know there is confuston as to the earpad classification but like you said they are not circumaural but rather a larger on-ear. Perhaps some people are able to fit there ears in there tho :)

Cheers!!!

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #21 of 24
I *REALLY* wish you guys made the MS400 a detachable, single-sided model. THat would probalby make it perfect.

The MS300 is good, but not great. I love the form factor, design and portability though. Sound is a little bright for my tastes, but it's nice to have a different sound sig every now and then compared to all my heavy bass cans lying around.

I will be picking up an MS400 soon and hope the sound is really good. My only regret is the damnable two-sided cable! Wish it were single-sided and detachable!!!

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #22 of 24
I echo that sentiment. Double sided cables are annoying, and the cables feel very fragile.

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #23 of 24
Yup. Single-sided fixes issues with double-sided y cables, detachable fixes any concerns with fragility of thin cables since you can always replace if it breaks. Also makes cable rolling a lot easier in case you get your hands on some premium silver wire or whatever. Just solder on a couple of nice neutrik plug and viola! Recabled!

I wish more manufacturers would make single-sided detachable cables standard. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #24 of 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak24

I would say the PS 500 is not an upgrade. It has a very different sound signature so you'd have to be the judge. Also, the PS 500 is not considered portable as it does not fold up so it's considered in a different class really.

Thank you for responding.

I'm actually looking for a full size Phiaton to use with my amps, with a longer cord. I like the sound of the MS400, the total lack of harshness, the musicality. What is different about the sound signature of the PS500?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back