The Perfect Portable [a multiple choice poll]
Oct 25, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #61 of 70
hah.. I'm still very fond of my grados. But, they don't leave my dorm. Not even IEM's.. I have two IEM's, but they don't really get used. Earbuds,

The BeB "blacks" and the Yuin PK3's

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #62 of 70
A portable Ultrasone 900. The drivers are only 40mm.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #63 of 70
I voted for this a month or two back, and I can't quite remember what I selected. If it's the ones that are checked to me now, then closed would be the only thing that i'm not up to. I take my 225s on my daily commute - bus rides I take are only 15mins or so, and I wouldn't mind hanging them on my neck for some background music. Most of the time i'm either on a train (where it can get eerily quiet with people staring at you) or walking (again, people looking at you for that POS with rods protruding out ala 1950s plane coordinator.) On longer plane trips, I bring along my RS1s, and I guess you know where this is going.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #64 of 70
Comfort all the way! and of course sum sex appeal doesnt hurt :wink: (Sennheiser IE8)

Nov 7, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #65 of 70

Quote:
A portable Ultrasone 900. The drivers are only 40mm.

That's not impossible. The audio-technica ES10s are the size of a Grado but they managed to shoehorn their full-size 53mm driver (that's right, same size as ADxxxx series) inside. I don't know how they did it, but they sound great - I loved the pair I auditioned. As for Fanny Wang's 60mm driver, that might be a bit...ambitious.
tongue.gif

Regarding the poll, I voted in the top four categories: Comfort, build quality, efficiency and closed. I used to use a portable amp (NuForce Icon Mobile), but using it without an LOD felt kind of redundant, and they're hard to come by for anything other than an iPod. Now that I have an HM-601 though, I don't mind slightly more power-hungry headphones.

I'm not too picky about size, as long as they're not too cumbersome. Besides, circumaural headphones isolate the best, since my HD25s don't quite fit on a melon head like mine. In retrospect, I think 'isolation' should have also been a criterion.

I'm also surprised more people didn't vote 'detachable cable'. Trust me, once it happens, you'll be thankful for it.
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #66 of 70
a bump to gather more votes.

and a personal update, to my surprise the V-Moda M80 is very close to my perfect headphone, it rates perfect in my top demands, build quality, detachable cable, easy to drive... it could use more isolation. but build quality and comfort are supreme. the HD25 still is king (specially for metal) but gets and less playtime...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back