The PENON official thread
Apr 14, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #13,456 of 13,727
How is SoundRhyme even profiting if they sell DTE900 for $750?
The EST model used in the DTE900 is different and a bit cheaper (summing up to around 400 $) than the model I had in mind. The BA drivers are also different (no Sonions) which makes it hard to compare IEMs pricewise. @gooberbm added another perspective to consider.

But I agree that the DTE900 is not only a good IEM but also nicely priced for what it offers. For the Voltage it is to early to judge since we don't know the price yet and nobody has heard it so far...

Apr 14, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #13,457 of 13,727
Penon are no amateurs so no need to worry about clues.

Somebody on FB spoke of a price tag of 1.200 $ which seems realistic to me given the driver config (the 4 Sonion EST alone add up to >600 $ at least (depending on the exact model used) if I am not wrong).
EST drivers , BA , DD are not that expensive the mark up is exorbitant for what you are getting. Even the OEM manufacturer's are making 100% profit and the there is need l. But there is a market for a $7000 IEM that costs $300 to make because people are still buying them.

Why are so many OEM manufacturer companies coming out with thier own "Brand" because they are mad at the profits the Distributors are making.
Perfect example is the Jupiter Zigat Colab $1600 should be priced at $399
7hz Aurora $399 should be $199
Kinera Imperial Loki $3400 should be $999.

We are seeing two current trends
1) Make a crazy expensive IEM and see who bites approach
2) Manufacturers getting miffed with The likes of Linsoul and others and are starting to bypass them.

2024/2025 going to be some exciting times ahead.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #13,458 of 13,727
Penon are no amateurs so no need to worry about clues.

Somebody on FB spoke of a price tag of 1.200 $ which seems realistic to me given the driver config (the 4 Sonion EST alone add up to >600 $ at least (depending on the exact model used) if I am not wrong).
If so, then I'll have to look somewhere else as there are similar configurations for much less.

I would like to think that Penon, of course has to have profits, but not fall in the absurd pursuit of sheer numbers and be part of the filosophy of value and the art of music.

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #13,459 of 13,727
EST drivers , BA , DD are not that expensive the mark up is exorbitant for what you are getting. Even the OEM manufacturer's are making 100% profit and the there is need l. But there is a market for a $7000 IEM that costs $300 to make because people are still buying them.

Why are so many OEM manufacturer companies coming out with thier own "Brand" because they are mad at the profits the Distributors are making.
Perfect example is the Jupiter Zigat Colab $1600 should be priced at $399
7hz Aurora $399 should be $199
Kinera Imperial Loki $3400 should be $599.

We are seeing two current trends
1) Make a crazy expensive IEM and see who bites approach
2) Manufacturers getting miffed with The likes of Linsoul and others and are starting to bypass them.

2024/2025 going to be some exciting times ahead.
I concur, don't have the exact costs but can see it, as there are several other brands/companies with similar products for much less.

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #13,460 of 13,727
Hello everyone,

While I am very happy with my Penon Serial and H40 I would like to expand my collection. Do you guys think the 10th anniversary is a good choice for punk/postpunk?
I'm looking for a fun, non-analytical iem with good midrange and is forgiving of bad recordings.

Thank you very much!

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #13,461 of 13,727
If so, then I'll have to look somewhere else as there are similar configurations for much less.

I would like to think that Penon, of course has to have profits, but not fall in the absurd pursuit of sheer numbers and be part of the filosophy of value and the art of music.
I think Penon tries to price thier gear better in the last year or so. The Impact was amazing but not $2500 .

Hopefully the Voltage comes in the $599- $699 area

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #13,462 of 13,727
Hello everyone,

While I am very happy with my Penon Serial and H40 I would like to expand my collection. Do you guys think the 10th anniversary is a good choice for punk/postpunk?
I'm looking for a fun, non-analytical iem with good midrange and is forgiving of bad recordings.

Thank you very much!
Yes, you will love the 10th. Read many of my reviews if you need more proof. I compare it to many IEMs and use it with a few cables, being well rounded is one of its strongest features. IMO

The 10th is my favorite Penon.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #13,464 of 13,727
Penon have mostly been about providing unreasonably good audio at reasonable prices and I hope that thinking will prevail.

OG Volt was $799 - a hefty price for me when I blind bought it (at full price I might add) on the strength of the very few reviews of it that existed back in 2021. I had been on hiatus from headfi at the time. Volt was what drew me back and it’s part of what’s kept me in the hobby since.

It’s a different world now and the market has gone both ways since - newer hungrier brands driving the price down, as well as insanely aspirational TOTL pricing that is frankly a turn-off to me.

To me, the most competitive and interesting price bracket right now is the $300-$500 range where you find the likes of Quattro as well as Campfire Cascara, Dita Project M and NiceHCK Himalaya - all current favourites of mine. And then, moving up, there are extremely capable contenders sitting at the cusp of a kilobuck - like Campfire Black Star and Symphonium Titan - and anything beyond that will be judged accordingly. Yes I know none of them have the same driver makeup and ESTs are expensive, but driver wars are frankly a thing of the past, their capabilities are blurring the lines between driver types and what we care about at the end of the day is the sound they produce, right?

So while I’m clearly interested in the Voltage as the follow-up to Volt, I hope good sense will prevail when it comes to pricing. </rant>

Do you guys think the 10th anniversary is a good choice for punk/postpunk?

Sounds like most Penons so you’re spoiled for choice. How treble sensitive are you? 10th’s treble can be lively and a lot of fun but not sure how forgiving they would be of bad recordings.

And its mids are good (as all Penons are) but a bit too grainy to be their best imo. Have you considered the Quattro? They’re a bit harder to drive though. Haven’t heard the Dome but I’m sure someone else could weigh in on that.

Apr 14, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #13,465 of 13,727
Penon Quattro fan here.
Especially delightful for jazz.
Settled on medium gain with Shanling M6U.
Sound seems to definitely open up and solidify after many hours.
I’m probably around 100.
Might be worthwhile to experiment with different cables.
Although I like the look and feel of the stock cable, seems like my PW spc improves stage and separation.
Initially used narrow aperture tips because they increased separation. Using spiral dots now. Sounds great. Bass is potent, wide stage and clear separation. Treble can present as muted but not in context of total signature.

Apr 14, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #13,466 of 13,727
Hello everyone,

Thank you very much!
I feel the same as @-rowan- about the 10AE and prefer the warmth and timber of the Quattro. I don't find the treble harsh or sibilant; it definitely stands out and gives a spacious presentation. Also, I agree it needs a good source and recording, as it won't be forgiving.

I had the Dome and did not like the presentation; to me, it sounded congested.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #13,467 of 13,727
Hello everyone,

Thank you very much!
Ziigaat doscinco!

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #13,469 of 13,727
Yes it will cost more cause Penon is starting thinking to be in the right to raise the price at the level of better value brands. PENON is collecting the fruits of their aggressive marketing campaign which has made it known to many of us, but it also risks becoming an untouchable brand because it is too expensive and will be the prerogative of a few while people with normal economic resources will stop talking about it

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #13,470 of 13,727
I've bought a lot of mid priced iems from penon if she offered me a substantial discount on older models probably I had continuing buying from them but the discount have become increasingly smaller over new oriducts , and older models stay there unsold making cobwebs and collecting powder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back