The PENON official thread
Mar 1, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #13,173 of 14,143
What's the difference in sound signature between Doscinco and Cincotres?
From what I've gleaned, it's mostly that the Doscinco has more bass, which also bleeds further into the mids and so is warmer. Cincotres will still be no slouch in the bass department, but it's not the focal point like it is with the Doscinco, and the Cincotres has a noticeable tuck around 300 Hz so will be less warm with vocals better separated from the bass. Both are getting very positive reviews, particularly because ZiiGaat appears (don't know if this is verified?) to be a sister company of Thieaudio and so you are getting much of the same tech as the Hype 4 (minus one BA) for substantially less money.

I've put in an order for the Doscinco, but if I didn't have the TMSR-X as a cleaner set, the Cincotres would also be very tempting. The Cincotres is probably a safer bet for most people, unless you want really big bass and more warmth. Not that I've put either of them in my ears, I've just scoured a lot of the internet for opinions before purchasing. There's growing interest in them and more people are beginning to get their hands on them, so I think I might make a dedicated thread for them shortly. :)

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #13,174 of 14,143
From what I've gleaned, it's mostly that the Doscinco has more bass, which also bleeds further into the mids and so is warmer. Cincotres will still be no slouch in the bass department, but it's not the focal point like it is with the Doscinco, and the Cincotres has a noticeable tuck around 300 Hz so will be less warm with vocals better separated from the bass. Both are getting very positive reviews, particularly because ZiiGaat appears (don't know if this is verified?) to be a sister company of Thieaudio and so you are getting much of the same tech as the Hype 4 (minus one BA) for substantially less money.

I've put in an order for the Doscinco, but if I didn't have the TMSR-X as a cleaner set, the Cincotres would also be very tempting. The Cincotres is probably a safer bet for most people, unless you want really big bass and more warmth. Not that I've put either of them in my ears, I've just scoured a lot of the internet for opinions before purchasing. There's growing interest in them and more people are beginning to get their hands on them, so I think I might make a dedicated thread for them shortly. :)
Ah interesting thanks. Doscinco catches my eye there, going by your details. Have the afulp8, 660s2 for the neutral balanced detailed spectrums... It's the good quality-quantity bass I lack. But no hurries. Will await your (and others) reviews/ impressions as something else is coming first in the mail.

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #13,175 of 14,143
This is really an impulse post. I've been listening to Fir Audio Xe6 and Rn6 all day as I have a tour kit and also own Xe6. Lots of a/Bing between the two to understand their tunings. Then I took a break.

I decided to pivot straight to the Quattro on Renata to see if that would be an offensive change to all this TOTL goodness. To Quattro's credit, I ended up listening for hours, foregoing those Fir's for awhile because Quattro brought it's own charm.

Not that there is some sort of competition here, there is not! All of these serve their purpose very well.

I guess the point is that I am so impressed by Quattro that I needed to say so here. Chifi can be a mixed bag, so creations like Quattro can get lost or massacred.

Congrats to @Penon for creating a legendary iem, though most don't really know it. It's experimental, so I get it. But what an experiment!

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #13,176 of 14,143
DSC01654.JPG

Something new from Penon. If you guys have been waiting for a good do it all cable. You might have seen these but then again these are not the same. What you're seeing is the newest cable creation from Penon. The Penon ASOS+ So the plus is the addition of permanent purple plugs and purple connectors. A bit of extra palladium in the mix. There is a difference between these and the standard ASOS. I suppose you can just get a set of purple plugs on your original ASOS if you want something similar. The addition of the palladium influence shows on these ASOS+. Slightly more stage presence, better imaging and definition from the stock ASOS. These will be released very soon on the pages of Penon.

Mar 3, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #13,177 of 14,143
This is really an impulse post. I've been listening to Fir Audio Xe6 and Rn6 all day as I have a tour kit and also own Xe6. Lots of a/Bing between the two to understand their tunings. Then I took a break.

I decided to pivot straight to the Quattro on Renata to see if that would be an offensive change to all this TOTL goodness. To Quattro's credit, I ended up listening for hours, foregoing those Fir's for awhile because Quattro brought it's own charm.

Not that there is some sort of competition here, there is not! All of these serve their purpose very well.

I guess the point is that I am so impressed by Quattro that I needed to say so here. Chifi can be a mixed bag, so creations like Quattro can get lost or massacred.

Congrats to @Penon for creating a legendary iem, though most don't really know it. It's experimental, so I get it. But what an experiment!
I don't have TOTL iem to compare Penon's; they're thus far my TOTL.

I also concur that the Quattro, and for that matter, the Brand, is not mainstream.

There's not much info except for this and other forums; there are not many reviews just the familiar Penon followers. It makes me wonder why they're not as popular, as I'm sure they're others

Mar 3, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #13,178 of 14,143
I don't have TOTL iem to compare Penon's; they're thus far my TOTL.

I also concur that the Quattro, and for that matter, the Brand, is not mainstream.

There's not much info except for this and other forums; there are not many reviews just the familiar Penon followers. It makes me wonder why they're not as popular, as I'm sure they're others
I think their business is probably just fine and they don't need to spend more on marketing to gain more.

Mar 3, 2024 at 2:11 AM Post #13,179 of 14,143

+1. I tried Rn6 (didn’t get to A/B as it was some time before Quattro was released), appreciated it but it simply didn’t connect with me. Same with Monachaa. I’d long wanted to try Xe6 as well but somehow never got the opportunity to and honestly don’t feel the need to any longer.

Not saying that Quattro is objectively or qualitatively better than any of these, but it offers a distinct character and coherent tuning vision of its own, built on solid fundamentals.

And I find that, even coming from TOTLs that I do love, like Trifecta and Ragnar, the Quattro has something different to offer, and before I know it, several hours have passed.

I also have to say that the $300-$500 price point these days is a real sweet spot for my preferences, with Quattro, Cascara and Project M all being very high quality releases that come within this bracket, considerably taking off the itch to wander in kilobuck and multi-kilobuck realms.

I am loving the black Penon liqueur tips with Quattro giving it just a bit more punch! And the new Renata cable is a perfect match for it!

I may have missed it but what changes does the Renata bring to the Quattro’s sound (and what plug are you using)?

Something new from Penon. If you guys have been waiting for a good do it all cable. You might have seen these but then again these are not the same. What you're seeing is the newest cable creation from Penon. The Penon ASOS+ So the plus is the addition of permanent purple plugs and purple connectors. A bit of extra palladium in the mix. There is a difference between these and the standard ASOS. I suppose you can just get a set of purple plugs on your original ASOS if you want something similar. The addition of the palladium influence shows on these ASOS+. Slightly more stage presence, better imaging and definition from the stock ASOS. These will be released very soon on the pages of Penon.

Dang, Penon. Purple is my favourite plug with the Asos and purple connectors would’ve been real sweet as well.

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #13,180 of 14,143
@Dsnuts

WOW.........So here it is!

Penon ASOS+ Audiophile IEM Cable
Model: ASOS+
Materials: 8 strands, 25 cores alloy copper silver-plated + 99 cores single crystal copper silver-plated wire mixed
High transparent imported PVC wire sheath
Purple Copper 2pin connector
Carbon fiber shell accessories
Purple Copper plug

429658272_803169701829190_8080610669799305227_n.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #13,182 of 14,143
Renata vs. Asos+... I assume Asos is the better all-rounder, but what are the strengths and weaknesses of each for someone contemplating a new cable purchase? And Totem is a few years old now... Is it still king?
Only Dsnuts can answer that.

Mar 3, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #13,183 of 14,143
Renata vs. Asos+... I assume Asos is the better all-rounder, but what are the strengths and weaknesses of each for someone contemplating a new cable purchase? And Totem is a few years old now... Is it still king?
This is the exact question I have as well. :ksc75smile:

Mar 3, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #13,184 of 14,143

Yes. Renata and the ASOS+ is not exactly Totem. Both of these cables bought together do not equate to the price of the Totem and that is a good indicator where these cables stand vs the Totem. Totem to this day is a unicorn and its one of those cables that when it enhances a sound, it brings a sound to a completely different level and its not subtle. If a non cable believer asked me which one of the Penon cables they can listen to actually hear a legit difference. That would be the Totem. No other cable brings the large stage, added note weight, added tonal character and added technical elements quite like the Totem.

Both the Renata and ASOS+ are versatile but they are different in how they present your IEM sound. First of all the new ASOS+ has one of the bigger sound presentations for IEMs. Guys that own the current ASOS know what I am talking about. The addition of the purple plug means it now adds a bit of a technical aspect the stock ASOS did not exactly have. The original ASOS is a great value as its one of those cables you can pretty much put on anything and it will not only jive with it but will bring greater note weight with a bigger stage. Tell me an IEM that don't sound better with those two aspects to enhance a sound.

Adding the purple plugs now gives greater imaging and definition. The Renata on the other hand is what its specialization is. Greater imaging, sound separation and definition. You can even further these aspects by adding a purple or my favorite the Rhodium plug on the Renata to enhance those aspects to a further extent as well.

Renata don't have the same stage element of the ASOS+ its good in that department and it also brings better note weight but is not to the level of the ASOS or the ASOS+ and ASOS+ don't have the same type of sound separation and imaging like the Renata. Both will clearly enhance a sound but you gotta go with which one you feel will mesh better for the end sound for your particular IEM your going for.

IF you have a more technical sounding IEM then I would go for the ASOS+, if you have a more musical full-bodied IEM that could use some better technicalities the Renata is called the Renata/ renewal for a reason.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #13,185 of 14,143
I have put my Penon Quattro up for sale in the classifieds here, if anyone’s interested (UK only).

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back