The PENON official thread
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #13,156 of 13,917
DD arsenal of Penon aiming at BAs :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

1709152660836.png

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #13,157 of 13,917
Look what just showed up, and it's time to see what all the fuss is about. :ksc75smile:

1000004676.jpg

They definitely look and feel different compared to all the other tips I have tried. . .

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #13,158 of 13,917
I use iFi Hip DAC 3 and Dethonray Pegasus SG1. Both are quite comfortable bringing out the best of Quattro.

I have massive respect for Quattro but I adore 10th AE. It's so coherent yet has a wider stage and I've mentioned in my review that it has the best EST implementation in that price range.
I like the 10th so much that I have 2 sets one on iFi Go Pods and another on the EA Cadmus 8W.

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #13,159 of 13,917
Look what just showed up, and it's time to see what all the fuss is about. :ksc75smile:

1000004676.jpg

They definitely look and feel different compared to all the other tips I have tried. . .
Looking forward to your thoughts on how well they pair with the 10th AE and the X.

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #13,160 of 13,917
Thanks for the extra info! I think I'm hearing what you're hearing, which makes me feel more satisfied with the shift my little AP10 is putting in. It's definitely all about the lower mids with the Quattro, which will always be a bit controversial in the audiophile community, but I also love it. It does mean that they're a bit less versatile in terms of what genres they excel at, and it can be a bit more jarring going to them from a more "audiophile" set, but it never takes me long to adjust.

Also, I confess I haven't been doing them justice up until now. Had some very exciting packages yesterday arrive in the form of the Tansio Mirai X as well as some Divinus Velvet tips. Foams have beaten stock tips and my Dunu S&S tips for 90% of the sets I've tried, and the Quattro seemed no exception at first, but a combination of the quality of the Velvets as well as the TSMR-X burning my brain in to a brighter, clearer sound has meant the foams are off and Velvets now on the Quattro, and it's definitely improved them overall. A little less thickness in the lower mids and better treble has improved the perception of bass quality, and also meant their performance is less dependent on the song being played. I loved them before, but now I love them for even more of my library. I also got the orange Penon Liqueurs yesterday, but so far the Velvets have triumphed over them for the few IEMs I've tip-rolled. As Wes S said above, it's all about the tips. Interesting to hear the Spinfits could bring more bass to the table over the Velvets!

As Dsnuts suggested over in the Tansio thread, the TSMR-X makes an excellent companion to the Quattros. Complement each other so well. Need to give it some more time do some more comparisons, but currently not seeing a place for my beloved Canon II's between them!
I am loving the black Penon liqueur tips with Quattro giving it just a bit more punch! And the new Renata cable is a perfect match for it!

Feb 28, 2024 at 11:39 PM Post #13,161 of 13,917
I am loving the black Penon liqueur tips with Quattro giving it just a bit more punch! And the new Renata cable is a perfect match for it!
Now you have freed code 24 from Quattro?

Feb 29, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #13,162 of 13,917
Feb 29, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #13,163 of 13,917
I have the TSMR-X due to arrive in the next few days but just wondering if one of the PENON IEM’s might be better suited for me.

I’d say my library is … maybe 70% hip-hop and R&B. EDM is in the other 30%, along with classic and modern rock, folk, country and some metal. So that’s to say that the majority of my music has a lot of bass.

I’ve seen that the TSMR-X can maybe be a little much on the treble side (though suggestions rolling can help), whereas the 10th and Quattro are warmer sets, I believe? I think the Penon sets are maybe more mid-focused and musical but I think the TSMR maybe has the slam of the bass that I’d like?

Has anyone tried all three and can do a quick summary of how they compare?

Feb 29, 2024 at 5:53 AM Post #13,164 of 13,917

Well, those didn't work at all for me. I couldn't get a seal with any of them, and they made the Quattro sound anemic and holo. I have super shallow ears, and it is always hard for me to find a proper fit with iems. It seems the softer tips work better for me, and the Spinfit CP100 are really the best for my ears and preferences, and thank gosh we have options. Oh well, it was worth a shot with the Penon tips, but it's back to the Spinfit CP100 and pure bliss.

I find it interesting that with iems I am usually in the minority with my preferences, and with full-sized headphones it's the other way around. . .

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 5:55 AM Post #13,165 of 13,917
I have the TSMR-X due to arrive in the next few days but just wondering if one of the PENON IEM’s might be better suited for me.

I’d say my library is … maybe 70% hip-hop and R&B. EDM is in the other 30%, along with classic and modern rock, folk, country and some metal. So that’s to say that the majority of my music has a lot of bass.

I’ve seen that the TSMR-X can maybe be a little much on the treble side (though suggestions rolling can help), whereas the 10th and Quattro are warmer sets, I believe? I think the Penon sets are maybe more mid-focused and musical but I think the TSMR maybe has the slam of the bass that I’d like?

You're going to love the bass of the X with hip hop

Feb 29, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #13,166 of 13,917

I haven't found a genre these TSMR X bad boys cant handle. True they need cable rolling...just a fact, but they can be as warm and as musical as my Penon 10th Anniversary. I have a lot, a lot, of IEMs and the TSMR X are one of the two that go in my ears. They suit your whole library of rock, folk, country, hip hop, and definitely EDM. Unless you are about 20 years old I doubt the treble will be problem....it is smooth and detailed. They are definitely on a par with the Penon 10th Anniversary which I ❤️ 😍. The Quattro I don't know.

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #13,167 of 13,917

I haven't tried the Penon 10th, but I have the TSMR-X and the Quattro. For the music you listen to I think you're better off with the TSMR-X. The TSMR-X gets down deeper in that bass and will give a more satisying rumble for the EDM, not to mention you can boost the bass to crazy proportions with the dip switches if you have the inclination. It'll also give a much cleaner and more lively presentation of the metal. The two types of music I never reach for the Quattros for are those which need speed (like metal) or those which have minimal or no vocal presence (like EDM).

Rock, folk and country (genres with older production styles with less depth in the bass) could go either way, depending entirely on if you want sound that's warmer, more mid-focused and more analog (Quattro) or one that's crisper and better separated (TSMR-X). I don't listen to much R&B or hip-hop, but they could also go either way, depending on if you want to focus on bass and details (TSMR-X) or warmth and vocals (Quattro). I think these genres would sound great with either, and I'd be surprised if you put the TSMR-X in your ears and end up being disappointed.

The only reservation you could have with the TMSR-X are the slightly recessed mids. I don't know if you use EQ, but if you do, you can easily push the midrange forwards a bit and that problem is solved (if indeed you find it a problem at all), whereas it'll be harder to EQ the Quattro to make it give the details and the speed that the TSMR-X does. As dharmasteve says, the TSMR-X is an amazing all-rounder. If I could only have one, it would be the TSMR-X, much as I love the Quattro for what it does.

The Penon 10th sounds like it would be a good middle ground between the two, but the TSMR-X has a lot going for it in comparison - $100 cheaper (currently), easier to drive, probably more comfortable in the ears, and the versatility of tuning switches - so I wouldn't start looking elsewhere until you've tried it. :)

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #13,168 of 13,917
Yes, it's on Indigo now. Renata is awesome.
Good, just ordered the Renata along with black liqueur tip (I ordered two L, one LX, not sure which is better).

Feb 29, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #13,169 of 13,917

You should have gone with one of the new Ziigaat releases: Doscinco or Cincotres.

The Doscinco sets a new reference in terms of bass performance for its price.

Feb 29, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #13,170 of 13,917
Well, those didn't work at all for me. I couldn't get a seal with any of them, and they made the Quattro sound anemic and holo. I have super shallow ears, and it is always hard for me to find a proper fit with iems. It seems the softer tips work better for me, and the Spinfit CP100 are really the best for my ears and preferences, and thank gosh we have options. Oh well, it was worth a shot with the Penon tips, but it's back to the Spinfit CP100 and pure bliss.

I find it interesting that with iems I am usually in the minority with my preferences, and with full-sized headphones it's the other way around. . .
Out of curiosity, did you order different sizes of the liquor tips? Probably wouldn’t help in your case but just curious. I found, as others have, that the liquors seem to suit a size smaller than other tips.

Edit: never mind, looking closely at the photo you did get one pair of each in a smaller size.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back