The PENON official thread
Feb 17, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #12,976 of 13,917
The Quattro and EA1000 are very different, with almost opposite tunings.

The EA1000 is articulate and a bit bright, with a hint of reverb/space from the passive radiator. It is also relatively easy to drive.

In contrast the Quattro has a big, thick rich sound. It focuses less on precise, crisp details and more on a huge and very musical sound. Some people find the tuning to be bloated, others find it very engaging. It also needs notably more power than the EA1000. And it needs burn-in for the drivers to sound coherent. Even just leaving it playing overnight makes a real difference.

Personally I really like both these IEMs.

I own both EA1000 and the Quattro and can second this statement.

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #12,979 of 13,917
Alright, I promise this will be one of the last times I go all fanboy on the Quattro in this thread, as I am sure you all have heard it all before by now. So here it goes, last night I had one of the best listening experiences I have ever had since getting into the hobby. For reference, I was using my RU7 powered by my iMac 27" using the DDHIFI TC07S cable, of which sounds like a really good full-sized amp, and my Quattro were most definitely singing close to their full potential. The sound is super powerful and immersive, with details and nuances coming through in full effect, timbre to die for, and super holographic and layered staging. The imaging is incredible and songs I have listened to thousands of times before, sounded better than ever. The Quattro truly sound like a full sized pair of headphones, and are an absolutely incredible pair of iems, regardless of price. There is some serious magic going on with the tuning, in that you can literally feel the music, and I just can't get enough. Playback with this iem is so unique and capable, with very lifelike timbre, and texture, and is highly engaging and addictive. I listened for 5 hours straight late into the night yesterday, and finally had to stop around 2am and sleep.

Interesting thing with the RU7 pairing, is that when I power it with my phone (S22+), the Quattro sound amazing but lack just a tad bit of weight, grip and power, and when I power the RU7 with my iMac, I get all the weight, power, and immersiveness of a full sized headphone.

I can only imagine how incredible the Quattro must sound with the RU7 and a more powerful amp, and that's definitely my next move, so I can take this incredible sound with me on the go.

Of note, I haven't tried the Quattro with my HA300MK2 just yet, as I am waiting on Western Electric to replace a noisy 300B. However, once I do get my 300B replaced, I can't wait to hear the Quattro on a TOTL 300B amp. . .

Long live the Quattro!

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #12,981 of 13,917
I don't agree that the Quattro feels like headphones, unless we are talking really diffused headphones with little imaging.

Like an HD650 but with warmpoo sources that don't maximize on its dynamics and imaging seperation capabilities. A chain pushing it to being more diffused sounding. Maybe an old Texas Instrument setup like an iFi setup.

Quattro's diffused gimmick is nice though, you don't get an uncanny feeling of being aware the end of the L/R stage around you; due to its bloomy sound.

But this comes at the cost of it being more in your face overall, and less distinct imaging seperation between notes. Less engaging....for more vibing.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #12,984 of 13,917
To the Quattro users, have you had any experience with the Softears Twilight? It seems like the more Quattro impressions I read, the more they remind me of the Twilight.

Feb 17, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #12,985 of 13,917
Some new stuff on Penon site.
DSC01555.JPG

Penon OFC plug. Rhodium plug, Purple plug, OFC plug

All parts of a sound chain matters. I know a lot of you guys don't take much credence to different plugs to use with your cables but there is a reason why boutique cable vendors online charge extra for a palladium plated or rhodium plated copper plug for your cables. This is the newest specialized plug from Penon to use with their modular cables. OFC copper plug is the newest creation from Penon.

So what is the difference between these vs the other plugs?

Rhodium plated plug leans a bit more toward clarity, details and trebles.

Palladium plated plug leans more toward sound separation, imaging and bass.

OFC copper? - Warmth, stage with a slight increase of mids and bass emphasis adds a bit of note weight the other plugs don’t do. These are the best for vocal lovers out of the 3. This is just based off of testing it with the Penon ASOS but I can imagine these would match up well with a pure silver type cable and or analytical type cables in general to add some body to the base cables presentations.

My tester is with the well balanced Penon ASOS cable. Each of the plugs tested here shows a slight variance on the sound profile of the ASOS to the point where going from one plug to the other yields slight variations of what I am hearing. The OFC plug is yet another option to tweak the sound even further beyond the cables and tips.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #12,986 of 13,917
Penon OC133 Type-C to 3.5mm/4.4mm audio dac/amp for Android or iOS.
DSC01559.JPG

These little dac/amp dongles are a little nuggets of the audio chain that serve several purposes.
A simple plug n play device that adds better audio with added power to your phones USB-C functionality. Many a phones now a days, Apple or Android, no long are using the old 3.5mm out so something like this makes a lot of sense if you're using your wired IEMs on the go.

The new Penon OC133 is utilizing a CX31993 dac + MAX97220 pro amplification chip then connected to a smaller 3 inches of a dual OC133 cable material or better known as SPACE cable material in between the USB-C and the 3.5mm or 4.4mm housing which has the chips imbedded inside the housings. The OS133 silver plated OFC material was definitely chosen to add to the sonic qualities of this small efficient dac/amp. What looks like a seamless wired earphone extension has its own sound dac and amp chip to get you greater sonics. A quick google search yields PCM 32bit/384khz sampling rate for the CX31992 Dac.Specs as follows..

PENON OS133 Type-C to 3.5mm Audio/4.4mm Balanced 384KHz/32bit USB DAC AMP Cable Adapter for iOS/Android
Description
CX31993+ MAX97220 Type-C 384 KHz/32bit digital audio USB Amplifier
It‘’s a Type-C digital audio headphone USB adapter PCBA solution.
The built-in CX31993 digital audio codec chip and MAX97220 power amplifier chip support up to 384KHz/32bit sampling rate.
Excellent mobile compatibility for iOS and Android .
The product size is small and the appearance is beautiful.
Specification
Interface: Type-C
Analog Earphone impedance: 32ohm
Decoding rate: up to support DAC 384KHz/32bit; ADC 96KHz/24bit
SNR @1kHz: 100dB
THD+ N@1 KHz: -93dB
Crosstalk suppression @1 KHz: -55dB
Cable material: 4 shares,single share is 133 cores.Black nylon sheath,OFC silver-plated cable with carbon fiber plug accessories
Cable length: 8-9cm (without plug)
Cable total length with plugs : 3.5mm is about 14-15cm , 4.4mm is about 15-16cm
Available type :
Type-C to 3.5mm Audio
Type-C to 4.4mm Balanced
DSC01557.JPG

Extension dongles that are using the same CX31993 chip. What separates this particular variant is that it is using a equally tiny amp chip in the MAX97220pro which seems to be a newer variant of the MAX97220.

Performance.
This dac/amp is about as easy as it gets for function and use. If you find that bigger dongles to be a bit cumbersome to use but want a bit more power and better sonics connected to your phones and tablets. These smaller form dac/amps might be what you're looking for. Trying out the Penon OS133 dac/ amp dongle. I can recognize what the cable material is adding to the more powerful output of the device when compared to your headphone out directly from your phones.

This was tuned with Penon house sound. Musical yet surprisingly detailed. It's got a full spacious rich sound. Which should ring a bell with anyone that owns Penon IEMs. Full bass, forward mids, fairly big stage, which I feel could be the use of the cable material in combination of the MAX97220pro amp chip a smoother listening treble presentation to boot. I would say the sonics leans a bit toward warmth than neutral bright. Vocals and instruments has surprising body, timbre and stage beyond the small sum asked to get one of these @$35 on Penon site. You can’t expect Penon Tail level of detail or power but from this little dongle the power output I would equate to easily double that of my Samsung phones volume output. Easily putting out enough volume for the Quattros at around 50% volume on my phone.

Due to the obvious coloration for its sonics. These are going to be a great match for more neutral and detailed monitors. It is a clear upgrade on the onboard sonics from my phone. No question. A quick plug n play with added amplification with the Penon sound? Ya that is what these are. If you're in need of something simple and easy on the go that will get you better sound and power. These are damn good for the money asked. Not to mention look and feel premium/ weighty. Excellent little device.
DSC01556.JPG

Feb 17, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #12,987 of 13,917
All parts of a sound chain matters. I know a lot of you guys don't take much credence to different plugs to use with your cables but there is a reason why boutique cable vendors online charge extra for a palladium plated or rhodium plated copper plug for your cables
Yeah, to make extra money :wink:

Feb 18, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #12,988 of 13,917
There is actually an objective reason that rhodium plating was created. It is more resistant to water damage in places that live in high humidity. For example all those people living in Southeast Asia.

Feb 18, 2024 at 6:42 AM Post #12,989 of 13,917
I don’t have it but am interested in the Sound Tiger amps, especially the Sinfonia. Any owners who can speak to how they perform with Quattro or other Penon IEMs?
The Sound Tiger Sinfonia takes the Quattro up a notch imo as it opens it up, bettering soundstage and imaging. The only downsides of the Sinfonia are the need to open up the case and change batteries from time to time (each ~10 hours) as it can not be charged directly and that it sometimes seems a bit prone to RFI (in my experience especially when the power has declined below ~30%).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back