The PENON official thread
Feb 1, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #12,781 of 14,143
How stiff is the Penon Space cable? Looking for a modular plug for my Sza, they are pretty lightweight and i don't want something too unwieldy.

It's a little stiff, but to me the bigger problem is the microphonics. It isn't bad at all, but it's still a bit noisy. Overall, it's a nice cable though.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #12,782 of 14,143
Hey folks,

I am itching to get back into iems and I was wondering if the Cayin RU7 can drive the Quattro properly? I already have the RU7, and if there is another Penon iem that pairs with it better I would love to know? Does the 10th Anniversary pair better?

I love DD's, and a warm and natural timbre is my top priority . . .

Thanks,

Wes
I agree with Click, I didn't bother with low gain but in high gain 45-50 is approaching uncomfortably loud and I dont notice any real loss of dynamics compared to my desktop setup.

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:44 AM Post #12,783 of 14,143
Quattro is thankfully quite non - Harman tuning!

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #12,785 of 14,143
Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #12,786 of 14,143
So I decided to take a gamble on the Quattro after all the polarising opinions and despite my preference being clean lower mids. Its different to what I typically have, but thats why I purchased it. Yeah, liking it. It has decent treble extension too. The graph shows this but I was worried after some people stated they felt it didn't. I'd say it sounds how it graphs.

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #12,787 of 14,143
Could anyone give me a brief comparison of the 10th Anniversary vs. the Quatrro?

I value a warm full bodied sound, with forward mids, and natural timbre. I am thinking the Quattro will be right up my alley, but I am very curious how the 10th compares. . .

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #12,788 of 14,143
As per sound. The black Penon tips are more similar to the S&S tips in how they perform as they both have similar nozzle openings. Both tips project sound to be more forward. I want to say with a good seal the S&S tips brings just a hair more bass presence vs both the orange and black Penon tips. Which can be a posititive and or negative pending on how much clarity or bass you like for your IEM presentations. I feel the new Penon tips give better overall balancing to the sound profile vs the S&S tips. Of course you have to take ear shape and and individual fitment into account but when all these tips are sealed well in your ears. They all do the job. S&S tips are the bassiest out of the 3. Black ones gives just a smidge more treble presence over the S&S.
I compared those tips and yes S&S really bring more bass presence. Black ones are more towards clarity and Harman neutrality (SoundRhyme SR8). They still got more bass than H570 tips, which I would only use for basshead IEMs.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #12,789 of 14,143
How good is the Penon iem bass cable on the 10th anniversary iem? 😀 Vs stock maybe or other sub 100$ upgrades? 🙏
Remember those two 1) Bass Cable and 2) 10th came out at almost the same time. I go over the combo in my 10th Anniversary review. The Bass Cable in really good for the 10th in that it expands the stage and somehow itemizes the imaging. The Bass Cable adds some warmth down low and adds thicker displacement from the standard included cable. Part of that soundstage is also the wonderful EST treble spatial properties. So yes, a great Bass Cable price and a super good add for the 10th. IMO

Besides my review of the 10th, read the review by @alexandros a he asked me about the Bass Cable, then purchased one and used it in his review.
Could anyone give me a brief comparison of the 10th Anniversary vs. the Quatrro?

I value a warm full bodied sound, with forward mids, and natural timbre. I am thinking the Quattro will be right up my alley, but I am very curious how the 10th compares. . .
This is easy, though I’m simply going by memory so forgive me. Basically the 10th shows more contrasts and offers spatial imaging through the use of ESTs and 2X BA. As such it will have slight metallic timbre yet that is why we buy Hybrids for such vivid examples. Yet the Quattro has more note weight and smoother coherent and cohesive mids and treble. Where the Quattro really is about a smoother over-all tone. As such where everything seems to be ever so slightly darker with the Quattro but at the same time there are treble smoothies and imaging which may tickle your eardrums? If anything the Quattro comes across more natural. Where the 10th has almost a recessed midrange, the Quattro moves forward to enhance those (darker) mids. Where there is Quattro bass, but a slight mid-bass push as well as a sub-bass push. Both have two DDs for bass but they do not sound exactly the same in the bass department. Where it is tough to judge as really I like both. But the 10th will be way easier to find correct playback and will even go to thicken up an entry level DAP like the HyBy R3 II and it will sound separated and 3D. Where the HyBy R3 II and Quattro sounds not so good, and I’m totally not sure why? So the Quattro may be even more transparent than the 10th, where the 10th is a party boat and is easy going in a way and goes with every source, where the Quattro has certain needs which need to be met in order for the stage to become 3D, though once you meet the Quattro’s needs you’re fine. You may get success right away or need to look for a special source. The Quattro blended with my Sony WM1Z and TA desktop the best, I found the Penon Leo Plus to be a grand addition too. But the included Graphene cable with the Quattro is nice too, like a mini OSG cable from Penon!

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #12,790 of 14,143
The Wolfram is the cable I usually keep in my Vortex. Trying it now in the Quattro, you are absolutely right, and at that price it is a no-brainer purchase.

Bought this cable out of curiosity from you two discussing it. Cable is really flexible for simply being a twist rather than a braid; I like the feel alot.

20240202_103816.jpg

Wow this cable has such a large effect it is not subtle.

That said it was not my expectations. I was expecting a cable that was going to give reverb emphasis to higher treble involving stuff.

But this cable seems to make notes have a more rounded feeling. Heck it's almost "dark" sounding compared to my expectations.

This is really interesting. I should check it's impedance later to see if that is anything significant or is negligible.

Spacing and imaging reminds me of being closer to a pure copper-cable rather than a silver-plated copper. But ultimately between those; and not the expectations of a thin gauge pure silver cable. It is a nice intermediate because you don't get that "glitch noise" reverb to treble stuff that plated-copper has.

Overall, this cable is the opposite of "aggressive" of which I was expecting. But this is still a nice discovery. It is still nice, though still no where at the level of aggressiveness my Nightjar Mira does. Not the best pairing I'd say for the Quattro but probably has a good use elsewhere...like I imagine a Symphonium Helios maybe?

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #12,791 of 14,143
Bought this cable out of curiosity from you two discussing it. Cable is really flexible for simply being a twist rather than a braid; I like the feel alot.

20240202_103816.jpg

Wow this cable has such a large effect it is not subtle.

That said it was not my expectations. I was expecting a cable that was going to give reverb emphasis to higher treble involving stuff.

But this cable seems to make notes have a more rounded feeling. Heck it's almost "dark" sounding compared to my expectations.

This is really interesting. I should check it's impedance later to see if that is anything significant or is negligible.

Spacing and imaging reminds me of being closer to a pure copper-cable rather than a silver-plated copper. But ultimately between those; and not the expectations of a thin gauge pure silver cable. It is a nice intermediate because you don't get that "glitch noise" reverb to treble stuff that plated-copper has.

Overall, this cable is the opposite of "aggressive" of which I was expecting. But this is still a nice discovery. It is still nice for the Penon Quattro, though still not at the level of aggressiveness my Nightjar Mira does.
hmmm been looking at this cable, may have pushed my decision further to purchase, thanks for the feedback

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #12,792 of 14,143
Remember those two 1) Bass Cable and 2) 10th came out at almost the same time. I go over the combo in my 10th Anniversary review. The Bass Cable in really good for the 10th in that it expands the stage and somehow itemizes the imaging. The Bass Cable adds some warmth down low and adds thicker displacement from the standard included cable. Part of that soundstage is also the wonderful EST treble spatial properties. So yes, a great Bass Cable price and a super good add for the 10th. IMO

Besides my review of the 10th, read the review by @alexandros a he asked me about the Bass Cable, then purchased one and used it in his review.

This is easy, though I’m simply going by memory so forgive me. Basically the 10th shows more contrasts and offers spatial imaging through the use of ESTs and 2X BA. As such it will have slight metallic timbre yet that is why we buy Hybrids for such vivid examples. Yet the Quattro has more note weight and smoother coherent and cohesive mids and treble. Where the Quattro really is about a smoother over-all tone. As such where everything seems to be ever so slightly darker with the Quattro but at the same time there are treble smoothies and imaging which may tickle your eardrums? If anything the Quattro comes across more natural. Where the 10th has almost a recessed midrange, the Quattro moves forward to enhance those (darker) mids. Where there is Quattro bass, but a slight mid-bass push as well as a sub-bass push. Both have two DDs for bass but they do not sound exactly the same in the bass department. Where it is tough to judge as really I like both. But the 10th will be way easier to find correct playback and will even go to thicken up an entry level DAP like the HyBy R3 II and it will sound separated and 3D. Where the HyBy R3 II and Quattro sounds not so good, and I’m totally not sure why? So the Quattro may be even more transparent than the 10th, where the 10th is a party boat and is easy going in a way and goes with every source, where the Quattro has certain needs which need to be met in order for the stage to become 3D, though once you meet the Quattro’s needs you’re fine. You may get success right away or need to look for a special source. The Quattro blended with my Sony WM1Z and TA desktop the best, I found the Penon Leo Plus to be a grand addition too. But the included Graphene cable with the Quattro is nice too, like a mini OSG cable from Penon!
Wow! Thanks for such a detailed response.

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #12,793 of 14,143
Spent the last few days listening to the Neo 3 and it is surprising me the more I listen to it. What a wonderful IEM. I agree with whomever said that it's a good example of high level ISN tuning. Reminds me of a "younger" version of the EST50. Less dark, less bombastic, smaller stage, but extremely capable technically and with a similar tonality and presentation. The Neo 3 has a much more "polite" bass by comparison, more of a "pop" than a punch or thump. It's still effective, though, and it gives the IEM a different personality than the others. I have really come to enjoy it and it's definitely a keeper. It's a great all-rounder and would be suitable to every genre that I can think of.

Unfortunately, the only issue I have is that these IEMs (both the Neo 3 and EST50) are "under-cabled" in stock form, which is a shame. And the included tips don't do them any favors either. Adding the Cadmus 8w to the EST50 and adding the Ares x Cadmus 8w to the Neo 3 transformed them into super performers. I cable rolled with a number of $50-150 cables and they sounded decent, but not nearly as good as with the EA cables. The IEMs themselves have very high ceilings.

IMO, for ~$500 for my Neo 3 setup and ~$750 for the EST50 setup, I think their final performance can support those prices, which is saying an awful lot for their capabilities.

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #12,794 of 14,143
Hi everyone, what is your preferred method of burning in? I usually just listen them to see the transformation in sound but I don't have THAT much time. I've read of people burning it in over night but also people recommending not leaving it for x amount of hours. I also don't have a dac. I was thinking of having it run through my computer.

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #12,795 of 14,143
. But the included Graphene cable with the Quattro is nice too,

There may be some misunderstanding by redcarmoose there.

The Quattro default cable, it comes with is a plated-copper cable, not graphene.

The graphene in the Quattro description is about the dynamic driver handling the mids frequencies.

As for burn-in, that is just a ridiculousness to make sure you are giving yourself time to get used to the sound of the iem. Overall so you aren't returning them right away (or can't return them because by the time you finished this there is no return window left!).
I personally found no changes over time with this iem (but I am an n# of 1).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back