The PENON official thread
Jan 31, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #12,751 of 14,143
Quattro is just so darn good for instruments. The timbre is amazing.

One of my favorite all-arounder IEMs especially at its price point.
It really is totally natural and bypasses that synthetic tone so many IEMs parlay constantly. Just the fact that I can listen to my brightest recording or the darkest recording and they both come out correct sounding, yet better than correct, emotionally involving!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #12,752 of 14,143
Oh my....the Serial is a beautiful IEM. A work of art to look at. Probably I have Quattro envy, so I'm giving my Serial a run out. It eats juice like a Rolls Royce guzzles gas/petrol. On my HiBy R6III high gain, volume 40...bass given a boost by the HiBy dynamics plug in.... rumble in the jungle. The bass is big, bold and singing with authority. The Penon Serial given some juice and energy is something else. PAC 480 cable and XL Penon Liqueur orange tips. The big dome of the XL tips incubates bass and expands it.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #12,753 of 14,143
Tried the Ares x Cadmus cable to add a bit more body to the Neo 3 and it worked fairly well. The Totem seemed a bit too transparent. Even at these early stages I can hear that it just doesn't match well with the Neo 3. If I had a full Ares S cable, I think that would have been an even better match than the x Cadmus.

Vocals (mids) are clearly the star of the show of this IEM, followed by treble, with bass taking third place. If you like this type of tuning, rest assured, there is zero bass bleed into the mids. Clarity reigns supreme, but soundstage depth and fullness takes a hit as a result. Upper mids can sound a bit brash in some tracks, but not horrible. Again, these are early impressions. I'll give it adequate burn-in time and keep listening. Also need time to do some tip rolling. I wouldn't be surprised if some smaller-bore tips were better suited to this IEM.

This is a very comfortable IEM. Small size, good nozzle orientation. Nice!

I will say that at roughly 2x the price, the EST50 exceeds 2x the performance of the Neo 3. If you can afford the upgrade, the EST50 is a beast of an IEM. But I think the Neo 3 is a good value for its performance.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #12,754 of 14,143
I think since you own some of the higher end stuff. You of all people will appreciate the TSMR-X. Now you can take that level of sound on the go without worrying so much about how expensive it is. But then again you will like the sound so much you will probably baby it anyway. Lol.

I would switch out cables. I don't think its the best for the TSMR-X. I get it. Its what they had on hand. Its the same cable used for a few of their IEMs the Akiba, RGB, Sands.
Because of the tuning switches you can really tweak the sound to your liking. And since it is a nicely detailed fairly sensitive IEM @ 10 ohms they take to cable rolling like a champ.

So far I like hybrid cables the best. ISN H2, GS849, Cadmus X ErosS. I know you will be cable rolling anyways. All in due time my friend. Looking forward to see what you have to say about them.
IvipQ Jin Yu cable too?

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #12,755 of 14,143
So far I like hybrid cables the best. ISN H2, GS849, Cadmus X ErosS. I know you will be cable rolling anyways. All in due time my friend. Looking forward to see what you have to say about them.
Im thinking of getting the GS849 based on your recommendation to prepare for the TSMR-X. Curious, why is the G4 not recommended. From what i've read the G4 is more versatile and I might lean into that instead.

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #12,757 of 14,143
Im thinking of getting the GS849 based on your recommendation to prepare for the TSMR-X. Curious, why is the G4 not recommended. From what i've read the G4 is more versatile and I might lean into that instead.
Just tried the G4. It is definitely a good match. The GS849 brings a bit richer tonal character to the TSMR-X is a touch more copper influenced vs the silver aspect of its make up. It also has a bit of gold plating which adds a subtle darker hue to notes. In comparison to the G4 it does seem to color the airy tonal character a bit in comparison.

I think I actually prefer the G4 over the GS849 on the TSMR-X. It is a well balanced cable meaning it is a touch more transparent on the TSMR-X and keeps its airy sound profile intact. Has a bit of an edge over the GS849 for treble detail and imaging due to its graphene material. Good observation on the G4. Nice synergy with the TSMR-X.

Ya go with the G4 instead for the TSMR-X. It does match extremely well with it. Initially I thought the GS849 was a good match and it sounds good on it but the G4 just enhances the reason why the TSMR-X is so good.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #12,759 of 14,143
Screen Shot 2024-02-01 at 2.32.16 PM.png

https://penonaudio.com/PENON-OS133-type-C-DAC-for-iOS-Android .html

PENON OS133 TYPE-C DAC FOR IOS & ANDROID

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #12,760 of 14,143
Any recommendations for cable for ej07m? I'm using the stock one from 10th anniversary iem but think that since the original ej07m cable was copper, so maybe some solid copper good work... Wondering also about buying the bass cable... 😀

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #12,761 of 14,143
Any recommendations for cable for ej07m? I'm using the stock one from 10th anniversary iem but think that since the original ej07m cable was copper, so maybe some solid copper good work... Wondering also about buying the bass cable... 😀
I’m using mine with the Penon ASOS and it is a great pairing. Wider sound stage, more midbass which nicely balances the tone and most importantly thicker note weight which helps some of the thinness of the EJ07M. Before this I was using the ISN S4 on it which gave it a cleaner sound, more space in between notes but thinner overall texture (which could just be the harman tuning). ISN S4 was not a bad pairing imo but the ASOS was really worth the extra cash in my opinion. But it really depends on what you’re trying to enhance here…

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #12,762 of 14,143
I’m using mine with the Penon ASOS and it is a great pairing. Wider sound stage, more midbass which nicely balances the tone and most importantly thicker note weight which helps some of the thinness of the EJ07M. Before this I was using the ISN S4 on it which gave it a cleaner sound, more space in between notes but thinner overall texture (which could just be the harman tuning). ISN S4 was not a bad pairing imo but the ASOS was really worth the extra cash in my opinion. But it really depends on what you’re trying to enhance here…
Thanks for your answer

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #12,764 of 14,143

I've always been a cable sceptic, but I do concede that you can hear improvements in a good cable vs a poor one. However whilst I do agree you can hear improvements in clarify, bass tightness and black background, I still can't get my head around people who say the sound stage increases.

My only conclusion is, either; 1) some people perceive the difference in clarity and cleaner sound as sounding wider/further away, which is logical as we all must hear things ever so slightly different and our brains will interpret what we hear. 2) When some people say soundstage has improved/become larger, wider etc, they just mean the details seem better separated.

I've bought cables for as cheap as $10 and up to $300 and personally I've never heard a stage sound larger, wider or bigger. This isn't scrutiny as my first point suggest, perhaps other peoples ears/brain interpret a clarity improvement/ darker background as sounding further away? I just find it interesting.

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #12,765 of 14,143
I've always been a cable sceptic, but I do concede that you can hear improvements in a good cable vs a poor one. However whilst I do agree you can hear improvements in clarify, bass tightness and black background, I still can't get my head around people who say the sound stage increases.

My only conclusion is, either; 1) some people perceive the difference in clarity and cleaner sound as sounding wider/further away, which is logical as we all must hear things ever so slightly different and our brains will interpret what we hear. 2) When some people say soundstage has improved/become larger, wider etc, they just mean the details seem better separated.

I've bought cables for as cheap as $10 and up to $300 and personally I've never heard a stage sound larger, wider or bigger. This isn't scrutiny as my first point suggest, perhaps other peoples ears/brain interpret a clarity improvement/ darker background as sounding further away? I just find it interesting.
Do you hear different soundstage displays from different amplifiers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back