The PENON official thread
Dec 26, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #12,076 of 13,712
My two cents when comparing the Penon 10th anniversary and SoundRhyme DTE900. Both with stock cables and tips.

Without doing an A/B comparison, I would thought they sounded very similar. But doing a back to back comparison, the DTE900 is just an upgrade of the 10th in all aspects. Only thing that I think 10th does better is the stage height.

I thought about keeping the 10th and pocketing the extra money from selling the DTE900, but deep down I know the 10th is a slightly inferior sound. I’m not talking about night and day difference, but it’s an improvement that I can instantly tell, the DTE900 is better across the board. DTE900 has less boomy and a tighter bass; higher resolution on the midrange with clearer and more forward vocal. I feel like the 10th has higher and sharper treble but it annoys me when the treble compare across louder than the midrange. Also, the DTE900 has switches to fine tune the sound. I leave both switches up for wider sound stage.

If anyone is looking to upgrade their Penon 10th, then I suggest getting a hold of the DTE900 and give it a try.
I would totally agree , I typically reach for the DTE900 over the 10th.

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #12,077 of 13,712

Happy holidays everyone! My review of the Penon DOMEs has just landed - you're invited to learn all about them here. :smile:

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #12,078 of 13,712
Aurora doesn’t lack mid bass to my ears; it’s fairly easy to follow bass guitars and other instruments in that register, and notes sound a good size to me.

To my ears, Quattro and Aurora have more sub bass quantity than Serial. It’s possible that Serial hits harder than Aurora but not by that great a margin. I hear Aurora as having more mid bass and bloom as well as longer decay.

We all hear differently of course but I do think that source synergy may also have something to do with how they come across differently.

For example, Quattro and Aurora shine on the N7 with its textured and deep-reaching sub bass, whereas the Serial comes up a bit short in this area comparatively. On the other hand, this glorious sub bass is easy to get used to, and it can be noticeable moving to a source like R6P2 that has less extensive sub bass even if it has no lack of power or technical ability. But the R6P2’s sub bass is more evenly weighted with mid bass and I find that I enjoy the Serial more with the R6P2 warming up its mid bass nicely.
Aurora's mid bass is definitely not lacking in anyway and I totally agree. It's more of my preference. lol

Totally agree that we hear differently and synergy plays a big role in terms of boosting the sound signature and quality. I'm using the Shanling M8 for the Serial and the synergy is off the charts with what I have heard so far.

To be fair for the comparison, I do use custom made cables both for Aurora and Serial which shaped the sound a bit differently from the original tuning and I can vaguely remember its default sound. Too lazy to find my lost stash of bundled default cables from my different IEMS to re-confirm it. lol But I'm at least 100% sure that Serial's sub bass do hit harder than Aurora by default.

Anyway, I'll still probably buy the Quattro in the future and it's a good thing it's not a limited edition so I can wait for future impressions and reviews in comparison to Ascension (big price gap lol). My bank account is crying.

Dec 27, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #12,079 of 13,712
Received the Quattro today! I had also purchased the Effect Audio Ares S x Cadmus 8 wire Christmas edition cable in the past few days and considered putting the cable on the Quattro, but the Quattro’s blue cable is gorgeous and so I will find another of my IEMs to use with the Christmas cable :)

Dec 27, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #12,080 of 13,712
Received the Quattro today! I had also purchased the Effect Audio Ares S x Cadmus 8 wire Christmas edition cable in the past few days and considered putting the cable on the Quattro, but the Quattro’s blue cable is gorgeous and so I will find another of my IEMs to use with the Christmas cable :)
I am excitedly anticipating the Quatrro, based on all the promising information I have gathered. I have high hopes that it will not be a disappointment like the DOME was to my ears.

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #12,081 of 13,712
Oh tips!
20231227_171911.jpg

Dec 28, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #12,083 of 13,712
At last the PENON LIQUEUR 14mm and 15.5mm Silicone ear tips are available
1703757141371.jpeg

The outer coating is very high friction, and malleable material that due to the high friction stays very well inserted, without slipping out even during most activity. I've got quite a large ear canal and find the black 14mm a stay put fit, although the 15.5mm orange stay in quite well too. These do stay in more securely than my go to 14mm JVC Spiral Dots. I'm quite familiar already with the Orange tips, but first time using the black 14mm. At $9.90 with the very useful box/holder for 3 pairs of one's choice of sizes they are a sonic and fitment blessing. They were awkward to get on to my 10th Anniversary, but once on stay very put. The blacks do gather dust and detritus so will need to be cleaned quite regularly. Really excellent tips. They took about a week to get to the UK over the Christmas period. A genuine affordable winner..... ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #12,085 of 13,712
quattro.jpg

Just came back from a Tokyo trip, and Quattro has been waiting at home for 2 weeks.
Now, I wish I had this to compare with when I was demoing some multi kilobuck IEMs at E-earphone.
Nice to see you still buying new Penon sets :))) Yeah the treb extension looks nice

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #12,086 of 13,712
The PENON QUATTRO is the latest release from PENON, a 4 Dynamic driver IEM that follows the footsteps of the beloved Serial.

Internally we find a:
>6mm custom dynamic driver for High frequencies
>8mm graphene diaphragm driver for Medium frequencies
>Dual 10mm composite diaphragm drivers mounted in a clamshell configuration for the Low frequencies.

It's not the most sensitive of IEMs and truth be told the Quattro offered it's best performance when the volume was placed North of 50% .

The shell is almost identical to the Serials shell althought the faceplate is ofcourse designed different with this absolutely exquisite blue theme.

Accesories , are as we have come to expect from PENON, flawless, excellent cable , plenty of tips and nice carrying case.

But on to sound and although this is just a first impressions, what I can say is on every listening sessions I am greeted with a new suprise, a new wow , a new ahhh!

I'll explain.....first time I listened to the Quattro I was greated with this visceral bass , it's menacing power was unexpected, but then as is the case with other PENON IEMs, it begun to settle down ...drivers seemed to loosen up ....the famous burn in or brain burn or whatever you want to call it, came into effect and the Quattro opened up and showed it's magic.

It's has some of the best bass I have heard on any IEM , the presence is simply incredible, giving the note weight i like , backed with the clarity and texture that seperate it from just a basshead IEM.
On this note let me add that even if big bass is not your preferred style , I am confident that you will appreciate the Quattros unique performance in this department.

Mids are simply put ... PENON house sound mids....aka.....clean, effortless, organic, vocals and instruments come across with that old school goodness ...5 out 5 in my books.

Finally treble is silky smooth ,never leaving the door open to any sort of harshness or sibilance and if there is a nitpick it's that just a little extra would have sometimes brought that last twinkle and sparkle to some vocal playback.

The Quattro has much of the Serials magic , but improved it in crucial areas.....bass quality and speed are improved, mids remain equally as seductive and highs more polished.

As for technical performance I will be honest, the musical engagement I have been getting from the Quattro has been such that I see myself smiling , rather than worried if I get all the last detail or if the Soundstage is expansive.
One thing is for sure, if it was doing something wrong i would have picked up on it.

Anyway, I will get into more detail when my full review comes out.
I'll be waiting for your review, and to hear the Quattros (that are on their way!) once I get back home.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #12,087 of 13,712
How have so many people purchased the Quattro when it’s not available to purchase from their website?

Did penon send out limited invites for early purchase or something?

Dec 28, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #12,090 of 13,712
How have so many people purchased the Quattro when it’s not available to purchase from their website?

Did penon send out limited invites for early purchase or something?
I think many of us have been impatient to have it at Christmas. I feel guilty. I don't know if because of all the pre-sale requests via email, we are delaying the launch date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back