The PENON official thread
Dec 19, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #11,927 of 13,729
The PENON QUATTRO is the latest release from PENON, a 4 Dynamic driver IEM that follows the footsteps of the beloved Serial.

inbound226913949408119220.jpg

Internally we find a:
>6mm custom dynamic driver for High frequencies
>8mm graphene diaphragm driver for Medium frequencies
>Dual 10mm composite diaphragm drivers mounted in a clamshell configuration for the Low frequencies.

It's not the most sensitive of IEMs and truth be told the Quattro offered it's best performance when the volume was placed North of 50% .

The shell is almost identical to the Serials shell althought the faceplate is ofcourse designed different with this absolutely exquisite blue theme.

Accesories , are as we have come to expect from PENON, flawless, excellent cable , plenty of tips and nice carrying case.

inbound8798143064544818692.jpg

But on to sound and although this is just a first impressions, what I can say is on every listening sessions I am greeted with a new suprise, a new wow , a new ahhh!

inbound7757729182948675763.jpg

I'll explain.....first time I listened to the Quattro I was greated with this visceral bass , it's menacing power was unexpected, but then as is the case with other PENON IEMs, it begun to settle down ...drivers seemed to loosen up ....the famous burn in or brain burn or whatever you want to call it, came into effect and the Quattro opened up and showed it's magic.

It's has some of the best bass I have heard on any IEM , the presence is simply incredible, giving the note weight i like , backed with the clarity and texture that seperate it from just a basshead IEM.
On this note let me add that even if big bass is not your preferred style , I am confident that you will appreciate the Quattros unique performance in this department.

Mids are simply put ... PENON house sound mids....aka.....clean, effortless, organic, vocals and instruments come across with that old school goodness ...5 out 5 in my books.

Finally treble is silky smooth ,never leaving the door open to any sort of harshness or sibilance and if there is a nitpick it's that just a little extra would have sometimes brought that last twinkle and sparkle to some vocal playback.

The Quattro has much of the Serials magic , but improved it in crucial areas.....bass quality and speed are improved, mids remain equally as seductive and highs more polished.

As for technical performance I will be honest, the musical engagement I have been getting from the Quattro has been such that I see myself smiling , rather than worried if I get all the last detail or if the Soundstage is expansive.
One thing is for sure, if it was doing something wrong i would have picked up on it.

Anyway I will be get into more detail when my full review comes out.
I’ve been reading all the impressions of the Quattro posted on here so far and man, all I can say is that I’m really excited to get my hands on one! At first I was a bit on the fence by how it could improve upon the Serial and how “different” it would be (good or bad) from other PENON tunings. But I am so glad I bit the bullet and ordered one.
as far as comparisons go, I’ve seen a lot of impressions coming from Serial to Quattro but nothing on how Quattro compares to the Vortex. I feel like the Vortex has better bass quality over the Serial with a sub bass focus, but Serial with more thickness. And overall I feel the Vortex has a more pleasing sound signature.
How does the Quattro compare to the Vortex in terms of bass, mids and treble and overall sound sig? Any impressions would greatly be appreciated! :)

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #11,929 of 13,729
I can't remember who recommended the Blue and Red Penon bass cable for the 10th AE but thank you it's a superb match really brings them alive along with the Divinus Velvets

Dec 19, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #11,930 of 13,729
@pevinkarker so I was asked to try out the Penon tail with the quattro. No surprise here the tail drives the Quattro with plenty of head room and power. I am using it on high gain but it works great and sounds fantastic with the Quattro. Surprising how powerful the tail is.

DSC01499.JPG
Damn... I only find temptations in this hobby eheheh

I just bought tempotec v3 and fiio btr7 (on may way right now and should arrive before my quattro), but i will put that in my shopping cart on penon and when i made a new order there i will buy it (probably lol)

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #11,938 of 13,729
Listening to this on my recently received Quattro, just 20 minutes ago. Like this... crazy... without burning!

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #11,939 of 13,729
I’ve been reading all the impressions of the Quattro posted on here so far and man, all I can say is that I’m really excited to get my hands on one! At first I was a bit on the fence by how it could improve upon the Serial and how “different” it would be (good or bad) from other PENON tunings. But I am so glad I bit the bullet and ordered one.
as far as comparisons go, I’ve seen a lot of impressions coming from Serial to Quattro but nothing on how Quattro compares to the Vortex. I feel like the Vortex has better bass quality over the Serial with a sub bass focus, but Serial with more thickness. And overall I feel the Vortex has a more pleasing sound signature.
How does the Quattro compare to the Vortex in terms of bass, mids and treble and overall sound sig? Any impressions would greatly be appreciated! :)
The Vortex is a great IEM. In my collection it is the single DD that I have kept. I have forgotten it a little compared to others, and my listening is limited. In the end, I tend to pick up the newests. I had been ignoring the Vortex, Serial or Volt for a long time, compared to the Impact or DTE900. If time allows, I'll rescue it to check the differences with the Quattro.

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #11,940 of 13,729

Users who are viewing this thread

Back