The PENON official thread
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #11,866 of 14,154
I appreciate the honest response! Honestly that's exactly what I did, except for buying eartips. I've come to the same conclusion you did since it was a pretty penny however I couldn't help but be curious so I had to ask! Do you recommend any eartips or cables I should buy? I went to japan and tested out some cables and I concluded in buying Orb - Clear Force Nova 2nd Gen because it added clarity and more separation.

Thanks for your input! Honestly i'm just really enthusiastic on how good it sounded from Penon and I am willing (in the future when there are good sales) to try some other ones out. Like I said before, this is my first expensive IEM but I loved the timbre and the soundstage. The fact that I can get a nice rumble from the bass with all of that added together made me really fall in love with it. I'm a sucker for separation of the instrumentals because when you listen to that same song again and focus somewhere else you start to appreciate the song way more despite listening to the same song hundreds of times. I think I'm also especially hooked on the timbre because I haven't experienced anything like that before.
I use this cable with the 10th.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0wZ88g

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #11,867 of 14,154
Hey guys and gals. Penon Fan 2 is on sale at Ali and with store coupon it’s $166 shipped. I listen to a lot of EDM and country and love a good mid bass slam and kick drum (drums in general). Also, love a good sparkle up top to keep things somewhat neutral. I’m assuming these are gonna have fantastic mids considering they are Penon. Would y’all rec these for that?

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #11,868 of 14,154
Hey guys and gals. Penon Fan 2 is on sale at Ali and with store coupon it’s $166 shipped. I listen to a lot of EDM and country and love a good mid bass slam and kick drum (drums in general). Also, love a good sparkle up top to keep things somewhat neutral. I’m assuming these are gonna have fantastic mids considering they are Penon. Would y’all rec these for that?
I really enjoyed the Fan 2 for EDM. Trance and Progressive House sound great on them. No idea regarding country music.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #11,869 of 14,154
Country music is not much different than something like pop music nowadays. Older country music needs very good mids and is more vocal centric but Fan2 will be a good IEM for your needs Its not Penons best when it comes to EDM but certainly not bad there. Sounds like what your looking for is something like the 10th and or Turbo but Fan2 at the sales price is a great deal. I would buy with confidence. Make sure you have your best tips around and I would try different cables with them as well.

Fan2 has a funny longer nozzle. If you have average sized ears you should do just fine with fitment on them.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #11,870 of 14,154
Country music is not much different than something like pop music nowadays. Older country music needs very good mids and is more vocal centric but Fan2 will be a good IEM for your needs Its not Penons best when it comes to EDM but certainly not bad there. Sounds like what your looking for is something like the 10th and or Turbo but Fan2 at the sales price is a great deal. I would buy with confidence. Make sure you have your best tips around and I would try different cables with them as well.

Fan2 has a funny longer nozzle. If you have average sized ears you should do just fine with fitment on them.
Thank you for this!

If you don’t mind, what am I getting with the 10th and not the Fan 2. Two ESTs but sonically what is the difference particularly with bass and treble? Seems like both use two 6mm DDs

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #11,871 of 14,154
They still have to burn, but I already think I can say
that these QUATTRO are the worthy successors of the SERIAL

IMG_7139.jpeg

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #11,872 of 14,154
Dec 15, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #11,873 of 14,154
For anyone who’s wondering why the Quattro is taking so long - Mr Hui (aka Mr Penon) gave me permission to share his comments:

It's just that 4DD is harder. Each pair of DD should be paired sound on both left and right side, left high frequency to right high frequency, left medium frequency to right medium frequency, and left low frequency 2DD to right low frequency 2DD.
Batch ordered 100pcs DD with at least 20pcs DD can't be used. And some of them don't match. It takes time and effort to match a total of 8 drivers each. 4DD is much more difficult than other IEMs.
There are some cheap 2DD, 3DD IEMs on the market, and they use cheap drivers that are basically not tunable, and those are much easier.

There’s some serious QC and channel matching that went in here.

Gratuitous Quattro admiration pic before I put them in my ears:

IMG_1256.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #11,874 of 14,154
The Fan2 are fantastic with country/Americana blues and Rock

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #11,875 of 14,154
For anyone who’s wondering why the Quattro is taking so long - Mr Hui (aka Mr Penon) gave me permission to share his comments:

It's just that 4DD is harder. Each pair of DD should be paired sound on both left and right side, left high frequency to right high frequency, left medium frequency to right medium frequency, and left low frequency 2DD to right low frequency 2DD.
Batch ordered 100pcs DD with at least 20pcs DD can't be used. And some of them don't match. It takes time and effort to match a total of 8 drivers each. 4DD is much more difficult than other IEMs.
There are some cheap 2DD, 3DD IEMs on the market, and they use cheap drivers that are basically not tunable, and those are much easier.

IMG_1256.jpeg
Appreciate the extra attention to quality control.

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #11,876 of 14,154

I brought them to work with me today. Been listening to them for the past hour. The quality of the drivers are what separates these from just about anything in the market. The drivers were very carefully selected for their inherent qualities. Penon did more than just nail the tonal qualities, these are the exact reasons why folks come back to get dynamic IEMs in the first place.

By the way the bass quality on these are superb. The bass end seems to get better and better as they age. Bass just morphs into any type of bass you need for your tracks fluidly. The more I have been using these the more and more I am appreciating that bass. There is something to using two dynamics instead of a single dynamic. It has to be the control of the bass.

Dec 15, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #11,877 of 14,154

IMG_1256.jpeg

I love the work of competent craftsmen.
I consider them real artists.

Dec 15, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #11,878 of 14,154
To the users that already have quattro in their hands, is easy to drive?
Do you think that truthear shio (dongle) or hiby m300 are enough?

Dec 15, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #11,879 of 14,154

IMG_1256.jpeg
QC is much fundamental but QC is hard to keep going it. I admire the effort of Penon. Appreciate share his comment to the community.

Dec 15, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #11,880 of 14,154
To the users that already have quattro in their hands, is easy to drive?
Do you think that truthear shio (dongle) or hiby m300 are enough?
A comment from @Dsnuts , from a few pages ago.

One thing I forget to tell everyone about the new Quattro.
Due to a lower sensitivity.
These are not going to do well from something like a cell phone. You need a dedicated DAP or at least a portable amplifier to use with them. They are definitely more harder to drive than the Serials. They are not going to sound all that dynamic with them connected to a weak source. I find myself using medium gain on my K9 Pro ESS at home. Both my Fiio M15 and M15S does just fine but these love some power behind the sound. Once you feed them some current. They will respond accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back