The PENON official thread
Jul 6, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #10,292 of 13,907
I think this is how I originally imagined Volt's bass and sub bass supposedly. Somehow I'm having a clear understanding how the Aurora sounds.
Based on the description though, I assume that Aurora is closer sounding to EST50? Especially on the sub bass area?

EST50 is way smoother. Aurora has more texture and detail, right down to the sub bass.

I don’t really have test tracks. I like Carlos Henriquez, henri texier, and then trios like tingvall, tord gustavsen etc. I really prefer to have double bass out front and then everything else on top of it.

Along with the 10th, I’d suggest taking a look at Aür Aurora. I posted a comparison a few pages back. Both are great for tracking double bass.

Jul 7, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #10,293 of 13,907
received my pair of 10th yesterday, have them burning in now, but i couldnt resist having a listen and boy do they sound great, cant wait to see how they improve after burn in. I put the Dunu Blanche silver cable on them and its a great pairing. rolled a bunch of tips and ended up settling on the AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC MS for now. Comply TS600 Small didnt sound quite right, and I also tried the new Penon Blue silicone foamy hybrid, and they weren't quite my preference. the nozzles are huge and seem quite elongated to me, definitely had to go down a size on the tips compared to other iems, even with smaller tips they stick out quite a bit, but still were comfortable wearing in the hot garage while I was sweating. I had them on for 2 hours and only felt slight discomfort.

the free cable was the Penon Neo! very surprised to see a cable that expensive included for free! will pair the neo with my Modded Penon Vortex, as i had the Dunu Blanche on the vortex before so I know they respond well to silver.

All in all, well done penon! you definitely have winner with the 10th.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #10,294 of 13,907
received my pair of 10th yesterday, have them burning in now, but i couldnt resist having a listen and boy do they sound great, cant wait to see how they improve after burn in. I put the Dunu Blanche silver cable on them and its a great pairing. rolled a bunch of tips and ended up settling on the AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC MS for now. Comply TS600 Small didnt sound quite right, and I also tried the new Penon Blue silicone foamy hybrid, and they weren't quite my preference. the nozzles are huge and seem quite elongated to me, definitely had to go down a size on the tips compared to other iems, even with smaller tips they stick out quite a bit, but still were comfortable wearing in the hot garage while I was sweating. I had them on for 2 hours and only felt slight discomfort.

the free cable was the Penon Neo! very surprised to see a cable that expensive included for free! will pair the neo with my Modded Penon Vortex, as i had the Dunu Blanche on the vortex before so I know they respond well to silver.

They included a $129.00 high-end cable as your free gift, it can’t get any better! Cheers! :)

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #10,295 of 13,907

Nice! Its big brother Leo is still one of my softest and most supple cables after something like 6 years, and I imagine the Neo is even lighter and easier to handle with half the cores.

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #10,296 of 13,907
That’s one attribute I like most about OS133, the added clarity. I haven’t heard this combo for a while now and by going back from memory it’d too tighten up the whole range which is what the Globe needed most. Glad the OS133 works out for you! That’s all it matters!

Where did this part went? Anyways…

Flow
is a strange beast really, it doesn’t act like a regular silver cable but mimic copper or some other precious metal/alloy/exotics instead. It’s strengths lies with its musicality and I feel this is one cable you’ll like as it doesn’t attenuate treble energy.

Looks like there are tuning switches too!

1481BC70-2F5C-406D-B0B3-6DB4E52E36AF.jpeg

PENON TURBO audiophile In-Ear Monitor

6 Balanced Armature, 4 tuning switches, 15 tuning modes.
Natural pearl shells panels, transparent green resin cavity.
Handmade, solid and more durable.
3-way crossover, 3 tubes
2 Sonion for high frequency
2 Knowles for middle frequency
2 Sonion double opening hole for low frequency

The 3-switch system modes

100 is low frequency enhanced
020 standard mode, vocal is the best.
003 is high frequency enhanced.
The other modes are mixed mode.

1-switch system
Independent 1-switch is super bass boost switch, can be used with 3-switch at the same time, can also be used independently.

When used independently, it is low-frequency super boost mode, and with 3-switch, the low-frequency performance can be further enhanced in the corresponding mode of 3-switch.

Make sure that at least one of the 3-switch or 1-switch is turned on which is in normal mode.
Be nice to know if there is a pressure relief vent or it's a no go for me.

Jul 7, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #10,297 of 13,907

After burn-in, the bass becomes even tighter, more controlled, more layered.

10th AE sounds amazing from day 1, without any burn-in. It's simply an incredible IEM, especially at its price, on top of the generous free gifts Penon has been including with 10th AE orders.

My overall favorite IEM right now is no doubt the 10th AE. It checks every box of mine and matches my preference in tuning.

Nozzle size is my only complaint but I can deal with a little discomfort, and it only starts bothering me after 1-2 hours.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #10,298 of 13,907
Be nice to know if there is a pressure relief vent or it's a no go for me.
Penon going to kill the all BA market!? What's the price, does anyone know yet? Be interesting to compare it to the Impact!

Jul 7, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #10,299 of 13,907
Just by sheer number of driver count its not going to be at the level of the Impacts. But a good clue is if you look at other comparable 6BAs in the market and what they are priced at. Penon is using some premium BAs on this set as well.

I am gonna tell you guys there is a reason why its called turbo. The bass boost on these things are for real.

Jul 7, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #10,300 of 13,907
Just by sheer number of driver count its not going to be at the level of the Impacts. But a good clue is if you look at other comparable 6BAs in the market and what they are priced at. Penon is using some premium BAs on this set as well.

I am gonna tell you guys there is a reason why its called turbo. The bass boost on these things are for real.
Yeah, this is sort of what I'm anticipating - they got ahold of a NP and said, "how do we beat it in performance and price"? Can't wait to hear impressions on this...but I must resist!!! I sometimes wish they'd slow the roll a bit!!!

Jul 7, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #10,301 of 13,907
Well, after a sweet deal from Penon, I went for the Fan2 at everyone's recco. And after giving it about 100 hours of burn-in time (Penon DD really needs more actually) it sounds...so, so Penon! I hear from where the 10th came! This is just more evidence of Penon's capabilities of delivering a top quality iem with amazing sound at an excellent price, even with no discount! If you want the 10th sound, but not the price, this gets pretty darn close!

Jul 7, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #10,302 of 13,907

6BA with bass boost sounds to me very much like the Elysian Diva. And I would very much like to see Penon take on the Diva.

The Diva also has excellent mids, although they take a small step back when the bass dial is cranked up. I take it that mids are not an area that Penon are going to compromise on.

The Diva’s bass while copious also has these softer edges that give away their BA origins. The Impact has already shown that Penon can do better than that and I hope it will trickle down to their 6BA.

Jul 7, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #10,304 of 13,907
Thoughts on 10th

21567D88-C44C-4703-A966-6F1D4F1A0E7D.jpeg

The 10th is a very capable performer with a middle ground six driver count. Couple with Penon fantastic tuning, the 10th is simply a joy to listen with no matter what’s on my playlist. I’ve had it paired with Bass cable for a fortnight and frankly I see no reason to swap to another. It is that good.

As a whole, this pairing renders great clarity, transparency, resolution and air. It also layers, separates and images splendidly with a good dose of space in between giving it a large soundstage, not as large as Volt but close enough.

The 10th has a comforting and relaxing warmth to its tonality, note weight and timbre that’s realistic and importantly fluid coherency between its different band of drivers. With all that said, it is by no means mellow but sporting a rather dynamic, detailed and quite often an energetic profile.

Size can be deceiving, but those two tiny dynamic drivers does have the ability to deliver some heft and can/will slam relatively hard when requested and do so with commendable agility and definition. With this pairing it’s mid bass stands a little proud which lends some welcome fullness to the mid section. It’s sub bass on the other hand also has the ability to reach a very low octave.

Mids has been Penon’s mainstay for a long while now, although the 10th’s mids performance are more than adequate, I can’t help but to feel that it’s been left behind by a margin compared to its bass and treble counterparts. It’s insufficiency of resolving fine details is quite obvious, a limitation of just utilizing a single Sonion BA for mids. Bass cable luckily is quite resolving and with it it’s able to extract all details on offer. No IEM is perfect and this is the department where I felt the 10th falls a little short.

The hybrid BA + EST tweeters, the 10th second act. Knowles BA up to this point has been Penon’s choice for many of their monitors for treble duty. It’s characteristics are familiar to many, the same can be said for their Sonion ESTs. In this hybrid form, together with Bass we’d get plenty of twinkly details, airy ambiance - all rendered with high finesse.

In closing, Penon, I feel had to work with certain constraints namely costs, driver limitations or maybe it’s just an intentional tuning put in place?

Either way… outside the critical lens, the sum of its parts are what make the 10th a great IEM as a whole.

It’s one fine fine balancing act!

Thanks for reading

A great track for your listening pleasure:-

Pour Juliette - Philippe Chrétien

https://tidal.com/browse/track/6244544

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #10,305 of 13,907

Do you know if the shells are vented on the turbo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back