The PENON official thread
May 23, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #9,316 of 13,727
Left to right: Globe, Volt, 10th, Serial, Fan 2.

IMG_6138.jpg

If you’re good with the Volt’s shell, you’ll probably be fine with this. Serial as well. Fan 2 is there for comparison but something tells me we won’t be seeing that shell again in a hurry.

Trying to refrain from sound impressions and comparisons just yet as it’s becoming clear to me that the 10th needs burn in, or at least some of its drivers do.

Didn’t get as much time with them as I would have liked (these toys don’t pay for themselves). But I already really like the treble. Cymbals and instrument overtones sound complete. We saw this coming with the likes of Vortex and Impact.

Of course the Penon mids are there as well straight out of the box. Unmistakable.

And this thing has solid foundations. The bass along with the upper treble are the parts that will probably take a while to shape up but no question that the bass is very much present. Currently using it with stock tips and OSG to tighten up and extend the bass and for cleaner background.

May 23, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #9,317 of 13,727
From what I understand about the orange tips is that the ones out in the wild are prototypes. So I bet they are finalizing them reason why you dont see them for sale yet.

Grippy material. Wish they made them with a wider 4-5mm bore though for some variation.

They’re narrower than that? I’d be down for a wider variation.

Reason why they focus on mids and bass is they are fairly narrower roughly at about 3mm ish. Love the grippy material they are using. Reminds me of one of my all time favorite tips the Sony MH1 tips. Same grippy stuff.
Lets let them know @Penon they should release a wide bore version of their Orange tips down the road.

I throughly enjoy the material that its made of. Its grippy without attracting dust & dirt.

20230320_204553.jpg

Top L>R: Penon Orange / SpinFit W1 / Canal Works / Marunana

Bottom L>R: TRI Clarion / JVC Spiral Dots++ / Softears UC / Dunu S&S

20230320_204156.jpg

May 23, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #9,318 of 13,727

IMG_6138.jpg

If you’re good with the Volt’s shell, you’ll probably be fine with this. Serial as well. Fan 2 is there for comparison but something tells me we won’t be seeing that shell again in a hurry.

Trying to refrain from sound impressions and comparisons just yet as it’s becoming clear to me that the 10th needs burn in, or at least some of its drivers do.

Didn’t get as much time with them as I would have liked (these toys don’t pay for themselves). But I already really like the treble. Cymbals and instrument overtones sound complete. We saw this coming with the likes of Vortex and Impact.

Of course the Penon mids are there as well straight out of the box. Unmistakable.

And this thing has solid foundations. The bass along with the upper treble are the parts that will probably take a while to shape up but no question that the bass is very much present. Currently using it with stock tips and OSG to tighten up and extend the bass and for cleaner background.

That's a really cool lineup.

Thanks for providing the pics so we can see how all of these Penons look like from multiple angles. :thumbsup:

May 23, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #9,319 of 13,727
Lets let them know @Penon they should release a wide bore version of their Orange tips down the road.

I throughly enjoy the material that its made of. Its grippy without attracting dust & dirt.

20230320_204553.jpg
Top L>R: Penon Orange / SpinFit W1 / Canal Works / Marunana

Bottom L>R: TRI Clarion / JVC Spiral Dots++ / Softears UC / Dunu S&S

20230320_204156.jpg
i like the orange tip, its grippy but unlike the Azla xelastic that collects dust and dirt. i deem it as normal size bore, tames some of sibilance while adding a bit of body to the bass and mid. the stock clear tip with black bore that came with Impact is seem stiffer, with more note weight to mid bass but i have ear ache with it. Spinfit W1 has the longer stem and softer material, giving a deeper insert. it also has an airier high and slightly more sub.

May 23, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #9,320 of 13,727
My question got lost. How would you compare Fan 2 and Serial in terms of tuning and technical capabilities? I have Fan 2 and love them, but the fit is just not right for me.
Poor guy. Not many have both of that set, i dont have it either. But from what i've gather, Serial is very analogue sounding, very musical, warm+dark overall tonality, realistic timbre, good bass amount but relatively on a slow side, very 3D and technical capable, good at macro details but not so much for micro. Reacts wildly with burn-in. Fan 2 on the other hand is more neutral, less amount of bass but with faster bass, more treble but slightly off sounding timbre, piano (and for my friend, cymbal strikes) are not as natural; depend heavily on deeper fit.
Others can chime in too. If you want to read more, visit nymphonomania here on headfi's review

May 23, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #9,321 of 13,727

The OSG is an amazing cable, which I can never get enough time with, cheers and congratulations!

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #9,322 of 13,727
Anyone got a favourite tip they use on Impact that they’d care to share?

I’ve mainly been using the ones that came pre-installed (clear with black stem) as they seem to give a relatively balanced sound without losing the magic up top. But I’m wondering whether a different set could sway some more emphasis towards lower mids/bass to offer more note weight. I’ve tried lots of different tips like Type E and Sedna Crystals with mixed results.

I could experiment with cables in the near future too… I’ve currently got an Ares S burning in on the Serials which I might try on Impact (currently using a graphene coated SPC cable btw, not stock cable)
Spinfit W1s.

These are now the only eartips I use. Just acquired my third set & will order another pair from Linsoul (who now stock them) when putting in my next order - annoying swapping them around on different IEMs when A/Bing for reviews, and no other tips I've used match their combination of unbelievably strong seal & superb comfort.

Man Penon has a winner with the 10th. Getting some hours on it now, and it sounds really complete all around. Nice extended lows, not muddy in the least, and the house Penon sound with the midrange. Full, lifelike vocals, with nice physical presence and dimension. Details out the wazoo... great treble extension, yet all done with a smooth easy-going character. There's no harshness at all to my ears. The whole experience is 100% comfortable, from the fit of the shells which I can forget I'm wearing for a couple hour listening session, to the ease of sound so that you can feed it some volume and not be fatigued. I think this set is a natural upgrade for those who like the sound of the modded Vortex. The bass is not as massive of course, but the sense of soundstage scale, and immersion, are all there with added refinement and resolution.
I too purchased a set of Penon 10th Anniversary IEMs recently and will review them against a pair of EST50s and a few other recently released IEMs from other brands.

They are terrific, especially when paired with Penon's Vocal cable which has also greatly impressed me. The 10th Anniversaries are VERY easy to recommend.

May 23, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #9,323 of 13,727
While I expect a prolonged burn in period, I look to roll the 10th from space to G4 to vocal to Leo Plus...something should work! Should be here this week!

May 23, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #9,324 of 13,727
Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #9,325 of 13,727
Anyone know how the 10th Anniversary stacks up against the Sound Rhyme DTE500? On the fence and trying decide between the 2. Trying not to sell some stuff and buy both... lol. Thanks!

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #9,326 of 13,727
Hello everyone,
Because the mold the factory made for our orange eartips was not good for the first time, we repeatedly tested the sample and failed to reach the ideal effect. Later, we found that the mold factory omitted a process, which caused the issue. So the orange eartips will be delayed by 1 month.
As for the 10th anniversary IEM case and accessories case, customers who purchased previously will be arranged resend:relaxed:
Thanks for your attention.

Last edited:
PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
May 23, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #9,327 of 13,727
Anyone know how the 10th Anniversary stacks up against the Sound Rhyme DTE500? On the fence and trying decide between the 2. Trying not to sell some stuff and buy both... lol. Thanks!
Below is @cn11 take. My take is simple since my DTE500 is on tour, I cannot really do an A/B comparision but from what I remember

10th has it in lows and mids. DTE500 & 10th are almost equals in highs with DTE500 have more resolving highs due to using Empire Ears EST tech. The only issue i have with the DTE500 is the driver flex on the 10mm DD, there isn't a vent anywhere on the shell. That said DTE500 is more QDC style tuned while 10th AE is their highlight signature Penon house sound. You cannot go wrong with either one. I'm still burning mines to 200+ hours, hopefully by next week I can have better impressions.
It's early so far, and it's not burned in much at all... maybe 4 hours or so today. Therefore no comparisons at this point would be set in stone. Initially I think the DTE500 and 10th are pretty similar. I kind of thought they may be before I received the 10th, since they have similar driver configurations. The 10th is very close on details, really close, but I think the DTE is the slightest bit more clear and resolving. It's truly splitting hairs though, and takes very attentive listening and quick switching back and forth on the same music passage to really pick up on the nuances. The bass on both are again very, very similar. I think the 10th has a touch more mid-bass, and the DTE, with its 10mm single DD, is a hair more sub-bass focused. Probably the biggest differences I hear early on are regarding soundstage characteristics, and smoothness vs. harshness. The 10th's stage seems a little wider, but lacks the height and depth of the DTE. This gives the DTE little more immersive and enveloping sensation. For smoothness / harshness, the 10th is smoother in how it presents details. It's kind of more 'analog' sounding. The DTE500 can have some bite in upper mids / lower treble which is a little fatiguing periodically, depending on music material being played.

Overall, at this early point, I am digging the 10th about the same amount as I do the DTE500. And to me, the DTE is a fantastic value at its price. I have been immensely impressed with it for several months now. The 10th will hopefully just get better as it opens up. Who knows, it may overtake the DTE for preference.

May 24, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #9,328 of 13,727
OMG thanks for sharing the lack of vent on the DTE500 that's a no go for me. I get driver flex and pressure build up.

May 24, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #9,329 of 13,727

Sounds really promising please let me know what cable you end up with because that’s exactly what i want trip &.cable rolling, a
from a cable & tip roll to achieve, Bass,Clarity & details details

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #9,330 of 13,727
@RumbleWeed
No you get a resend, giving you essentially two cases.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back