The PENON official thread
May 4, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #8,761 of 14,000
Couple of things someone can help me with?
Where can i buy Penon’s new Large Orange Eartip’s? I see some people are using them but for the life of me cannot find them on the Penon website!
Also, do Penon except return’s i.e if i don’t like a set of IEM’s can i return the for a refund?

May 4, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #8,762 of 14,000
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy the Fan 2 to supplement my current champs Letshouer S12. The plan is to leave all the electronic music to the S12, and to delegate the vocal/live bands to the Fan2. From what I read this should be a great pick up for that, and I should not be missing on the resolution/stage/snappiness compared to the S12, would you agree?

I have the S12 and Fan 2.

You might find that the Fan 2 lacks sparkle in the treble if the S12 is to your taste in that respect.

The Fan 2 bass is somewhat similar to the S12, maybe just a little lighter if I am recalling correctly but it is still nice and fast and punchy, very mid bass oriented but does OK in the sub bass.

That might suit your musical intent for each set.

The treble was the first thing I noticed with the Fan 2 and it took some time to get past that and appreciate the more neutral and definitely more natural tonality and timbre of the Fan 2 versus my other sets, S12 included.

I believe for me the idea of S12 for electronic and the Fan 2 for vocal and mid centric music would work. That said there is nothing wrong with the Fan 2 on electronic either.

May 4, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #8,763 of 14,000
I have the S12 and Fan 2.

You might find that the Fan 2 lacks sparkle in the treble if the S12 is to your taste in that respect.

The Fan 2 bass is somewhat similar to the S12, maybe just a little lighter if I am recalling correctly but it is still nice and fast and punchy, very mid bass oriented but does OK in the sub bass.

That might suit your musical intent for each set.

The treble was the first thing I noticed with the Fan 2 and it took some time to get past that and appreciate the more neutral and definitely more natural tonality and timbre of the Fan 2 versus my other sets, S12 included.

I believe for me the idea of S12 for electronic and the Fan 2 for vocal and mid centric music would work. That said there is nothing wrong with the Fan 2 on electronic either.
This was really helpful, thank you!
I still enjoy my old Tin T2 specifically for mid centric/ vocal music. But I don't like it on the go because of fit issues.
So you're happy with having both S12 and Fan 2 in rotation, you don't fancy one over the other, them both competent?

May 4, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #8,764 of 14,000
I still enjoy my old Tin T2 specifically for mid centric/ vocal music. But I don't like it on the go because of fit issues.
So you're happy with having both S12 and Fan 2 in rotation, you don't fancy one over the other, them both competent?

Yes I am happy having both the Fan 2 and S12 in my small collection, if anything my preference is the Fan 2 in general.

For me the S12 is for when I go out for a walk, the more aggressive nature of the sound seems more at home in that environment and aligns with the music I prefer in that situation as well.

The Fan 2 is more in keeping for me at my desk where I work from home and is a nicer listen to less aggressive music.

The fit is quite different, the S12 nozzles are somewhat short and the Fan 2 are somewhat long and the insertion is deep. That necessitates different tips almost for sure and the Fan 2 will probably be one size smaller than the S12. I had to mess with tips a little to get ones that fitted right, sealed well and were a little shorter so that the overall length and thus the total insertion depth wasn't overly long, KBear 07 are my preference.

I didn't like the stock cable aesthetics at all, it was visually hideous to me, so much so that I genuinely didn't even listen with it, no ear hooks either was not for me. I am not a fan of the Penon cable visuals at all based on what I see on this thread but that is OK, others like them and it is just a matter of taste.

On recommendation from Leonard on these forums I bought a XINHS 4 core silver covered copper cable from AliExpress for the Fan 2. I liked it so much I bought two more for other IEM. Speaking of cables, you might find the 2 pin plugs in the Fan 2 to be a bit loose. I tightened the fit by squeezing the pins in pliers with a nice clean and smooth flat face, a little at a time until they were the right tightness to insert. They don't need a lot, just enough to fatten them up a few thousandths of an inch in one direction.

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #8,765 of 14,000

I just did a quick test for you, hope it helps.

Line up Massive Attack - "Be Thankful for What You've Got". It has a low droning bass rumble and natural steely, sibilant female vocals, I think it highlights the difference between the S12 and Fan 2.

On the S12 the bass is a bit more of a drone and the steely sibilant vocal is very pronounced and edgy.

On the Fan 2 the bass drone is a little less, more appropriate to my ear, and the sibilant vocals are toned down a bit, the nature of the vocal is there and her voice is a shade more natural but the harshness is smoothed off to a point that I would imagine is more how it was recorded.

The S12 at a 5 second listen is immediately more impressive because both ends are pushed up but after 30 seconds I find that the Fan 2 sounds more "proper" which is logical in that it is a more neutrally tuned IEM while the S12 is unashamedly V tuned.

I just popped on "South of The Line" from Pitch Black, the Fan 2 can get a decent sub bass rumble, they are not bass shy like some other even more neutral sets can be, my Dethonray Tender 1 for example. Mid bass is great, the certainly can be punchy and slammy if that is what the track calls for.

May 4, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #8,766 of 14,000
Btw there are some pretty easy mods to bring the S12 to a totally different level. The planar in there is crazy good and capable and shuoer to save cost has basically barely tuned it and dropped it straight into that shell haha.
I find the mod squashes the highs and lows of the V basically making the treble less harsh and the bass not as overwhelming you can hear a very nice extension that was there but muddied down by the bass and totally not harsh anymore.

May 4, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #8,767 of 14,000
Couple of things someone can help me with?
Where can i buy Penon’s new Large Orange Eartip’s? I see some people are using them but for the life of me cannot find them on the Penon website!
Also, do Penon except return’s i.e if i don’t like a set of IEM’s can i return the for a refund?
You'll have to check with them but they'll probably do a store credit. As for the orange tips, they come out this month so keep an eye out. Maybe the 10th? Thought I read that on here somewhere...

May 4, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #8,768 of 14,000
I was asking here a couple of weeks ago how the Leo Plus stacks up against Totem, do you have both? It’s just I’m considering Volt and everyone says Volt & Totem is TOP TOLT! I can’t afford Totem and Leo Plus. uses the same metals so wondered how the compare?
Thanks in advance for the help 👍
I wish I had a totem to compare!!! That's one of my next bigger purchases because the Leo Plus is so incredible, so I need its big brother!

May 4, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #8,769 of 14,000
Penon/ISN cables are some of the best around.
20230503_220532.jpg

May 4, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #8,770 of 14,000
May 5, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #8,771 of 14,000
Thank you really appreciate your help👍
This is the only issue keeping me from pulling the trigger on Volt the bass! It doesn’t have to be basshead but needs to be well above neutral! The thing that interests me with Volt is the FR Chart which shows a boost in both mid & sub bass because all my IEM’s are sub-bass bias. Also, I’m not one of those who turn there nose up at EQ as long as it’s a quality processor which i have in UAPP the Tonebooster’s EQ so a few db’s around 40-60hz should bring Volt more to my liking?
BUT, you bring up a really good point? What will the Penon 10th bring to the table? I really do have high hopes because from what i see & read Penon has yet to produce a bad monitor.
We will have to wait and see and i keep my fingers tightly crossed the 10th will be of my cup of tea?
I’ve owned both Volt and Est50. Volt bass is quality, textured, and goes deep but more controlled and definitely not “well above neutral.” I’ve seen those Volt FR graphs that make it look much more boosted than it sounds in reality. Est50 is much more boosted and I think more what you are looking for. Just make sure you burn it in well as the bass improves quite a bit after burn in. I wasn’t sure about burn in myself until I heard how much the Est50 changed over the first 50 hours or so. Like others have said it’s like having a subwoofer in your ears.

May 5, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #8,772 of 14,000
For now...

Whilst this is true of the F2, The Volts are reference class, Neutral, very slightly warm. Album and source dependent in that order. With sources such as Shanling, there's better Bass, Ibasso, super neutral reference, Cayin should be treble head category, this is a general consensus. Whilst the Volts will play anything from a to z, to expect added reasonable amount of bottom end can be futile. If it's in the album, it will show.

1683180342754.jpeg

You should be after the Serial, big sub and mid bass, no bleed or the Globe, big mid bass also no bleed.
The Volts have the larger, full size headphone scale of imaging, though...

Thanx ehjie for the advice I’m slowly but surely erasing Volt from the list it just doesn’t seem to fit my personal signature!
Yes I’ve been meaning to pick up Serial for months now so will buy it along side which ever Tri-brid i decide on and after reading what you said about Space cable & Serial i will most likely add that to the cart as well lol As i keep saying this hobby is gonna be the death of my bank account🤣
Regarding those orange tips you mention, are they the New Penon large tips? I really want to pick some up but for the life of me cannot find them on the Penon website?

May 5, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #8,773 of 14,000
You'll have to check with them but they'll probably do a store credit. As for the orange tips, they come out this month so keep an eye out. Maybe the 10th? Thought I read that on here somewhere...
Fantastic a store credit would be fine because I’d only be returning a Tri-brid for a different model anyway! And thank you i thought i was going mad seeing people using the Orange Tips but couldn’t find the anywhere lol
It’s one of my biggest issues Tip’s with IEM’s, i have strange ears which are pretty small but seem to have a large inner size! Nearly every tip’s I’ve tried excluding Xelastec end up working there way out after 15-20 minutes! The only reason the Xelastec stay in is due to the sticky coating which fades over time and they are not cheap to replace every few weeks! So my hopes for the new Penon Orange’s and large Spiral dots are pretty high and hopefully will end my search for the right tip’s at long last?

May 5, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #8,774 of 14,000
I wish I had a totem to compare!!! That's one of my next bigger purchases because the Leo Plus is so incredible, so I need its big brother!
That confirms my thoughts that Leo Plus is a great cable and would love to hear a comparison to Totem so i keep my fingers crossed you manage to pick one up in the not so distant future👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back