The PENON official thread
Apr 27, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #8,611 of 13,729
I took a bit of time tonight to try out a few cables with the Impacts.
DSC01014.JPG
After trying out some of the other cables I came to the conclusion that the white Obsidian cable adds a unique forward textured sound to the Impacts but at the cost of stage and space the Impacts are capable of. Obsidian adds a richer tonal character and pushes the mids forward adding more body to the stock sound of the Impacts, which already has plenty of mids emphasis in the balancing in the first place. This causes the mids to be more focused for the impacts than the rest of the sound. Once you add some silver in a different cable the stage opens up.

Tried both the Mix and OS849. Both clearly gave a wider more technical leaning sound. I was surprised with how good the OS849 cables sounded on the Impacts. Clearly throws out a greater sound expansion from the Obsidian cable while still retaining most of the characteristics of the Obsidian cable. OS849 has a lot of material for its make up and has nice thicker plating of silver over its copper cores. Folks that are worried about loosing any bass, it does not lose any of the bass at all with the OS849 cable. But adds a more substantial spacial element of sound over the Impacts signature. Its not just the mids and bass that are the focus anymore. The Impacts are better balanced with this cable and it gives better Stange expansion and a greater sense of depth as well. This cable is not as warm sounding as the Obsidian but that might be a good thing. Actually, makes the Impact tonal qualities sound a bit more neutral vs the slightly warm leaning Obsidian influence. So in the OS849 your giving up a touch of mid focus but you get a better balanced spacial element with a wider stage with a more neutral tonal character which clearly makes up for a slight loss of richness from the Obsidian cable. There is absolutely zero loss of dynamics at all if anything it brings the treble slightly forward and ends up sounding better balanced. Very good match up. Not to mention costs less than the Obsidian.

Mix on the other hand. While the mids are not as forward as either the Obsidian or the OS849 cable. It highlights the treble focus to be a touch more forward even over the OS849 adding some extra sizzle and air to the treble notes. Also seeing an expansion of stage vs the Obsidian cable. Stage expansion is very similar to the OS849 but now we have a slightly sharper imaging for the sound vs both of the other cables due to the pure silver cores in the Mix. But the surprising aspect of the Mix on the Impact is that it also does not lose much of the bass end here as well. The OS849 gives a bit meatier spacious sound the Mix gives a slightly more technical sound with better imaging out of the 3 cables. Better sound separation and air vs the other two, almost makes the Impacts sound like a mild V shaped tuning vs the other two.

Listening to the 0S849 cable again. Very surprised just how good this cable makes the Impacts sound. You figure it would take a much more expensive cable but sometimes a simple SPC cable does the job. I think what I like about the OS849 and how it effects the Impacts is that it gives a grander balanced sound experience over the stock cable. As much as I like the Obsidian which brings a unique mid forward sound to the Impacts. I would have personally chosen the OS849 with a few gold plated cores in it. Call it the OS849 special and threw that on the Impacts instead. This is the cable to get folks and considering just how expensive a nicer set of SPC cables are.

I have always had a soft spot for the OS849. And what you know, it don't cost an arm and a leg. I know this hobby can be expensive and the Impacts are not a cheap IEM. but just know you don't have to spend much to upgrade the sound of the Impacts. It exists in the OS849, so my initial thoughts of an SPC cable pairing extremely well with the Impacts seemed to be correct. Even if you guys don't own the Impacts and you want a cable that will work well with everything you have the easy upgrade would be the OS849. I rate the OS849 cables one of the all-time greats for Penon. Everyone needs a set of OS849 in your collection. Stunning on the Impacts.

That’s a resounding vote of confidence for the OS849!

1B13646F-EDFA-4AAF-A9F3-5E20622823F6.jpeg

The OS849 is a Penon classic. I’ve had it for something like 6 going on 7 years now, which practically makes it a dinosaur in headfi years, and it’s one of only two cables from the time that I still use (the other being the OG Leo). Meaty yet spacious is exactly right. It is more forward, brighter and more energetic in the midrange (both compared to stock as well as ARS100, the cable I’m currently using). It won’t be the most resolving or refined cable for the Impact, but as a baseline it does so much right. I’ve used it with so many of my IEMs over the years.

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #8,612 of 13,729
I swore I’d go custom with my next high-end Penon, but caved and went for universal again with the Impact. (Or rather, the CIEM option was not yet available when I purchased it but when the option appeared soon after, I decided against having it changed because I didn’t want to wait any longer than I had to. No regrets anyway; it is easily one of my most comfortable IEMs and the one I regularly end up falling asleep with.
I have fit issues with many IEMs so that is the additional temptation with going the custom route. I have been reading though that the Impact is very comfortable so that is something to consider as well, in addition to the shorter wait time.

Apr 27, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #8,613 of 13,729
That’s a resounding vote of confidence for the OS849!

1B13646F-EDFA-4AAF-A9F3-5E20622823F6.jpeg

The OS849 is a Penon classic. I’ve had it for something like 6 going on 7 years now, which practically makes it a dinosaur in headfi years, and it’s one of only two cables from the time that I still use (the other being the OG Leo). Meaty yet spacious is exactly right. It is more forward, brighter and more energetic in the midrange (both compared to stock as well as ARS100, the cable I’m currently using). It won’t be the most resolving or refined cable for the Impact, but as a baseline it does so much right. I’ve used it with so many of my IEMs over the years.

Your right its not the most resolving of cable pairings but you can't deny that stage expansion. Makes the Impact sound more grand more diffused. I think it brings a better tonal balance vs the Obsidian as well. I will try out out a few more SPC type cables on the Impacts when I get a chance. One I am curious to try is the GS849 with a bit of gold plating on it.
GS849U-700x700.jpg

I have fit issues with many IEMs so that is the additional temptation with going the custom route. I have been reading though that the Impact is very comfortable so that is something to consider as well, in addition to the shorter wait time.

Impacts shells are actually medium in size and not large like UM or Moondrop IEMs. Pretty astouding since it is stuffed with 14 drivers.

Apr 28, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #8,614 of 13,729
EST50 coming soon :ksc75smile:

Apr 28, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #8,616 of 13,729
H50 Just arrived! Smaller than fan2 and no pain with the fit oh yeah. Out of the box, I insert the tips I'm using with vortex and the cable used with vortex (space with 0,78 to mmcx adapters). Out of the box they have the energy and materiality and textures I was looking for in the highs that fan2 completely missed but the sound is a little dry vs the warm mellow sound of fan2. But even if it's a little fatiguing, out of the box, i feel that I'm in the right (or better) direction with this kind of tuning, and I hope in the effects of burn in. Listening to the acoustic piano on fan2 for me was impossible it was completely wrong in timbre (mellow and plasticous), and also all the metallic instruments. With h50 now I can better feel the metal in brass acoustic guitar and also piano, I'm getting closer to reality even if for the moment, not burned in, is only a little fatiguing and unforgiving with bright music. The bass out of the box is too dry and shy and monochord, I miss the impact and speed of fan2 double dd bass. Stage is wide and natural and instruments stay a little far from me than in fan2. Hey these are the first 5 minute listening experience, just to share, I'm happy and this is the maximum amount of highs I can desire, glad to not have taken tansio land or sands and now I'm also in trouble in the decision about dongle... Fc6 or dc04pro ? Maybe the fc6 could smooth some edges in the highs? Maybe I should try the PAC 480 cable or G4... Calm it's too early, let them burn in. Vortex have increased a lot their performances (also quantity of basses) with a long burn in so let's wait, i will update you.. thank for having adviced me h50!
I been listening fan 2 for a week and yes, unfortunately, i don't think that is suitable for classical music.

I found it confortable using jvc spiral dots and a great iem to listen bands like how to dress well, jai paul, james blake.. for bands like radiohead and nick cave it is also plessant too..

Anyway, if some european user from here want it at cost pm me :L3000:

i will continuing my search or journey..

Apr 28, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #8,617 of 13,729
I been listening fan 2 for a week and yes, unfortunately, i don't think that is suitable for classical music.

I found it confortable using jvc spiral dots and a great iem to listen bands like how to dress well, jai paul, james blake.. for bands like radiohead and nick cave it is also plessant too..

Anyway, if some european user from here want it at cost pm me :L3000:

i will continuing my search or journey..
Yes unfortunately fan2 is not for classic music. H50 it is more and after 24 hour of intensive burn in with this special burn in track, the sound have already changed and not a little: the mids are thicker and highs less glassy. H50 is very musical ( not intended as warm in medium and bass ,but intended in making your feets tapping For the energy and the rhythm that they manage to transmit) separation and delocalization is better than fan2, micro details wonderful and better than fan2. Only the bass and medium bass is too neutral at the moment, for the moment for what concern bass quantity fan2>vortex>h50. But I have the impression than in real deep bass Vortex>fan2 where fan2 has a lot of gummy medium basses.Vortex is a real good choice for classic ( after an extensive burn in the bass is so expansive and expressive, but they need a better cable like space), but in technicalities ( stage wideness, separation, micro and macro dynamics) h50>fan2>vortex, said that you can live forever happy with vortex than I will never sell for the effortless ( same therm used from someone speaking about serial) way in giving details and convey musicality. In effortlessness vortex>fan2>h50.
So at the moment I was asking myself :should I have tried the est50 directly skipping h50? For what concern bass experience in think yes but everybody said me that est50 is a little slower in convey energy in the highs and in this h50 are a Ferrari. Al the impulsive sound like triangle, stick, percussions attacks, vibraphone, banjo, and mandolin and arps are so fast and precise that you'll appreciate a lot (impossible with fan2), at the expense of some little fatigue here and there ( nitpicking), and you know what: no sense of plastic Ba sound! Ok Let's update when more running hours have passed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230428-151858.png
    Screenshot_20230428-151858.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 28, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #8,619 of 13,729
12047164.jpeg

@dharmasteve Curtesy of

Tried the vocal cable and the Serial for a good friend @drbluenewmexico . My initial go to for the serial was the Mix but something about the vocal cables that just resonates with the Serial. Fantastic pairing. Mix gives a broder sound with better technicalities due to the silver cores but the Vocals here brings out better note weight and sounds denser in the long run. Very nice match up. Vocal cable seems to be camelion like and is turning out to be very versatile.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #8,620 of 13,729
12047164.jpeg

@dharmasteve Curtesy of

Tried the vocal cable and the Serial for a good friend @drbluenewmexico . My initial go to for the serial was the Mix but something about the vocal cables that just resonates with the Serail. Fantastic pairing. Mix gives a broder sound with better technicalities due to the silver cores but the Vocals here brings out better note weight and sounds denser in the long run. Very nice match up. Vocal cable seems to be camelion like and is turning out to be very versatile.
Thanks for the research DS! I ordered my Vocal cable!!

Apr 28, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #8,623 of 13,729
Anyway... I changed my mind I've just listed on classified my 35hours old/burned in h50 if anyone is interested, original cable and tips never used/ touched/opened.
Wait, you want to sell it already??

Apr 28, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #8,625 of 13,729
As some know I had a small weekend poll last week in the discovery chat. Where people chose the top 3 IEMs that they own.
What I really liked to see is how many who appreciated the Penon Serial, I were one of the votes.
New models/discoveries are what is talked the most about in that thread, still the Serial keeps on strong with new entries coming.
Even though I own IEMs costing more, the Serial is a favourite of mine. Its unique and analogue sound never disappoints.

Penon also got the most votes, beating the very popular Sound Rhyme and AüR Audio.

2 entries or more.png

Brand.png

DSCF1878.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back