The PENON official thread
Oct 20, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #5,971 of 13,702
A propos Serial, I am 50 hours in and they actually sound way better than ootb… 🔥-in works big time here

Oct 20, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #5,972 of 13,702
Well, I just posted that here as spreading the Fan2 propaganda. Truthfully I only look at graphs later, as they can mess up how I hear something. I would rather actually not even look at graphs till long after I heard an IEM. I totally like when I see reviews with-out them.

Maybe the mid-bass is truly like that? Maybe not! Truly it’s funny to me as often in Western Culture graphs mean reality, where here (at Head-Fi) they are an assistant to reality, yet miss understood as fact by some, especially the people who judge an IEM by them fully.
Yeah easy, just sayin’ you know. I have had some « midbass » focused IEMs in the past and it never works for me. That’s about it. Nothing against your post Greg.

Oct 20, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #5,973 of 13,702
A propos Serial, I am 50 hours in and they actually sound way better than ootb… 🔥-in works big time here
That ship your describing doesn’t reach the post until 7 days. The difference between 5 and 7 days is startling! Enjoy! :)

You’ll see! It is very wild how they change!

Oct 20, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #5,974 of 13,702
Yeah easy, just sayin’ you know. I have had some midbass IEMs in the past and it never works for me. Nothing against your post Greg.
Cheers!

Oct 20, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #5,975 of 13,702
That ship your describing doesn’t reach the post until 7 days. The difference between 5 and 7 days is startling! Enjoy! :)

You’ll see! It is very wild how they change!
Hopefully not too much! ☺️ I love them how they are, just a bit more « fantastic » will do

Oct 20, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #5,976 of 13,702
No it’s funny because I was actually going to start my reviewing at 5 days or so. Then I got a PM.......and it said hold-out, and I did. Then what happened was the bass became more real, and everything was just slightly smoother and more cohesive, inside a bigger stage! I know I sound like a nut, but around here they call it an enthusiast. :)

Oct 20, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #5,977 of 13,702
The Serial are Killer

Oct 20, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #5,978 of 13,702
Well, I just posted that here as spreading the Fan2 propaganda. Truthfully I only look at graphs later, as they can mess up how I hear something. I would rather actually not even look at graphs till long after I heard an IEM. I totally like when I see reviews with-out them.

Maybe the mid-bass is truly like that?
I just got mine in. I'm in a 30 minute listening session and Fan 2 are definitely mid-bass emphasized over sub-bass IEMs. It's not even close

Oct 20, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #5,979 of 13,702
Fan2 has some mid bass but it is only like 6dbs. Without it, it will sound anemic neutral bright. Which is not what penon does. I do wish there was a bit better coverage considering they are using two dynamics for bass for the sub bass. Overall it is balanced well but has some of the least coloration for sound for any of the Penon IEMs. If that mid bass was soemthing like 8dbs plus then I would worry but it sounds very cohesive with the rest of the drivers.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #5,980 of 13,702
Fan2 has some mid bass but it is only like 6dbs. Without it, it will sound anemic neutral bright. Which is not what penon does. I do wish there was a bit better coverage considering they are using two dynamics for bass for the sub bass. Overall it is balanced well but has some of the least coloration for sound for any of the Penon IEMs. If that mid bass was soemthing like 8dbs plus then I would worry but it sounds very cohesive with the rest of the drivers.

Ultimately there’s nothing wrong with a neutral set. After all, it’s the recording one wants to hear, not the speakers reproducing it. Of course coloration makes for nice variety and allows people to pick a sound signature they particularly like, but the ideal is faithful reproduction of the source.

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #5,981 of 13,702
I personally like mid-bass over sub-bass (as long as the sub-bass is present), so I'm not complaining or anything. But if you got this expecting the sub-bass to be dominant, you're not going to like this set. That was clear in one song of listening

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #5,982 of 13,702
Fan 2 sounds good for something like EDM and 90s hip hop and such but yes the bass end is not focussed for sub bass. Which is ok, I got other sets that can rumble my ears off when I need it to. The Fan 2 is probably the most neutral set Penon has made thus far.

That minor mid bass emphasis allows the mids to have clear precedence over the tracks. Acoustic and vocals both sound great. I am a huge fan of the Sonion BAs Penon uses. I think they use Sonion on every set they produce that has a BA in them.

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #5,983 of 13,702
Fan 2 sounds good for something like EDM and 90s hip hop and such but yes the bass end is not focussed for sub bass. Which is ok, I got other sets that can rumble my ears off when I need it to. The Fan 2 is probably the most neutral set Penon has made thus far.

That minor mid bass emphasis allows the mids to have clear precedence over the tracks. Acoustic and vocals both sound great. I am a huge fan of the Sonion BAs Penon uses. I think they use Sonion on every set they produce that has a BA in them.
Sounds like ISN and Penon are in the same car together and driving, reaching the same destination in the end? Fascinating!

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #5,984 of 13,702
Apparently, I have become a Penon fan, having purchased the Vortex first, which I really enjoy, and then the Serial, which I also really enjoy. So when the Penon Fan 2 was announced, despite thinking the last thing I need is another IEM, I purchased that one, too. It arrived surprisingly quickly from HK, and I have really enjoyed listening to them over the last couple of days. As the nozzles are wider than the other two Penons, the smallest ePro tips I use for those weren't as comfortable on the Fan 2, but I had some of the smallest Sedna Xelastec tips (I bought a few of all the smaller tips I could find before settling on the ePro tips), and those work better for my dinky ear canals for some reason. Now, I really do think I will hold off on future IEM purchases (or so I tell myself).

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #5,985 of 13,702
Apparently, I have become a Penon fan, having purchased the Vortex first, which I really enjoy, and then the Serial, which I also really enjoy. So when the Penon Fan 2 was announced, despite thinking the last thing I need is another IEM, I purchased that one, too. It arrived surprisingly quickly from HK, and I have really enjoyed listening to them over the last couple of days. As the nozzles are wider than the other two Penons, the smallest ePro tips I use for those weren't as comfortable on the Fan 2, but I had some of the smallest Sedna Xelastec tips (I bought a few of all the smaller tips I could find before settling on the ePro tips), and those work better for my dinky ear canals for some reason. Now, I really do think I will hold off on future IEM purchases (or so I tell myself).
I found tiny Final E tips, with a super deep insertion that matches the aardvark-snout design, gave the best sound and fit so far for me.

I also got an interesting assortment of tips from Penon, stashed with the complimentary 9th anniversary 2-pin cable (if you're not picking a free gift at checkout, you're missing out!) It's almost an experimental group of tips... there's a foam tip with a vented side hole, there's one wide bore that extends beyond the stem, effectively coating all the way up the IEM not just the nozzle. That one gave a great seal and sound with the Fan 2, but didn't stick in my ear at all with the Serial.

I've yet to have an experience that confirms cable rolling, each to their own ears, but tip-rolling for certain transforms what reaches the ear in sometimes very dramatic ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back