The PENON official thread
Jun 21, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #4,981 of 13,741
Jun 21, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #4,982 of 13,741
The fact that you're an owner of Aroma Thunder makes your praise of Vortex all the more impressive!

How does it compare with the Timeless, Serial, and H50 by the way?
I envy a lot who believes in giant killer 😅

Jun 21, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #4,983 of 13,741
From Hong Kong to Alaska to Tennessee was very impressive, but tracking has frozen there. I’m sure it’s still moving even if tracking doesn’t reflect that, but it’s taken a lot of excitement out of being able to see it get closer, or know when to expect it. Destination is in the UK.

B79FB18C-BBE0-4263-96B0-EE5B3FC49960.png
I’ll have some major major probably endgaming treats waiting for me in the US when I finally get back, this is my only UK deliver to look forward to listening to here.
I purchased on Friday, shipped on Saturday and had it early afternoon on Monday. That’s insane. No one but Penon does this that I know of.

Jun 21, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #4,984 of 13,741
From Hong Kong to Alaska to Tennessee was very impressive, but tracking has frozen there. I’m sure it’s still moving even if tracking doesn’t reflect that, but it’s taken a lot of excitement out of being able to see it get closer, or know when to expect it. Destination is in the UK.

I’ll have some major major probably endgaming treats waiting for me in the US when I finally get back, this is my only UK deliver to look forward to listening to here.

I'm in the same shipment as you to the UK and stuck in Memphis since Sunday. I've never been an optimist so I'll assume it's not travelling at the moment...

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #4,985 of 13,741
I purchased on Friday, shipped on Saturday and had it early afternoon on Monday. That’s insane. No one but Penon does this that I know of.
Certainly not a slight on Penon. They pick the fastest courier they can, whether the courier delivers on that every time is too hard for them or us or anyone to foretell.

Jun 22, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #4,988 of 13,741
Wow. That’s awesome. I purchased the day it was announced - I think it was Wednesday and… it’s just about Wednesday again. Not a slight on Penon, of course. The tracking showed it was stuck in Hong Kong for a while but it’s on the move again and should be arriving any day. Sometimes I think I need to stop checking in on this thread until then. No, seriously. I’m digging all the early impressions. Keep them coming.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #4,989 of 13,741
Hi. While I'm waiting for my Vortex...this combination is excellent for the price. Too bad the OS133 isn't eligible for free PACs, but it's worth buying at the promotional price, along with another cable that allows you to get PACs.
photo_2022-06-22_12-51-08.jpg

It so happened that I had my library in random mode and this song came in. It was the first one I heard with the PACs... the holographic feel and width of the soundstage are fantastic!

Of course, they have the limitations of earbuds, but I think Penon has come up with a very good product for bud lovers.

EDIT: I have adapted (filed) my Etys ER2SE, to take any MMCX cable and the OS133 is great for them too.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #4,990 of 13,741
You’re gonna dig them with edm so much.
Thank you for the encouragement DannyBai! July 5th will be the night!
Until Then Kinda Lava is traveling with me with W2 and M8v2 and are very very good. Miss my Moonlight however, which I left at home connected to my tube MicrozotlZ
And Tradutto, my current reference set up on my bedroom desk! Vortex ahead!!

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #4,991 of 13,741
I've serious FOMO with Vortex, I'll have to get it next month hopefully!

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #4,993 of 13,741
Did a little back and forth listening with the Serial and the 7Hz Timeless last night, even though the Vortex isn't broken in yet (and a bit with the Thunder just for fun)...The main thing I find is that it's faster and snappier than both the Serial & Timeless. It really shows this speed in the midrange when switching from the other two. I'm kind of surprised at the resolution, detail and texture in the mid band. I know I said it's a tad recessed, and while this may be ever so slightly true in comparison to the Thunder (as it should with the price differential), and the EST50, the detailing is excellent. The Serial feels soft and kind of smeared in the mids by comparison, and the Timeless is just very recessed there, with a timbre that is sort of congested.

In the low end the Vortex is faster than both too. The Serial has the deepest overall reach, with more mid-bass. Timeless is definitely more mid-bassy too, with nowhere near the snap and physical punch that the Vortex has. Its planar gives the impression of "moar bass", but the speed of the Vortex has better realism I think. Overall I think the Vortex is just better with details and sense of openness, all while having fantastic clean timbre.

The Aroma Thunder is still king of the heap though, and I certainly wouldn't expect a $219 IEM to come remotely close to its level of refinement. But it does speak volumes to its quality that I lose no overall enjoyment listening to my favorite music during the work day with the Vortex in the loop!

I'll update thoughts further if things change noticeably as the set burns in, but so far it's a keeper, especially when you factor in the low asking price.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #4,995 of 13,741
The Vortex should be here in a day or two... looking forward to it, and given that I have the Moonlight in my ears that's saying something!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back