The PENON official thread
Apr 18, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #4,576 of 13,661
Does anyone happen to know the nozzle diameter for the Serial? I want to try out SpinFits with it.
The nozzle diameter of PENON Serial is 5.18mm and the filter grill size is 4.5mm:relaxed:

PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Apr 18, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #4,577 of 13,661
Does anyone happen to know the nozzle diameter for the Serial? I want to try out SpinFits with it.
I have been doing some tip rolling, and have landed on some SpinFits (one size smaller than I usually do for deeper insertion), and I am loving the sound so far. So, the SpinFits do fit, and help give the Serial some added weight and punch down low, while filling in the lower mids just a bit more as well. I plan to do more tip rolling, but for now I am quite happy with the SpinFits.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #4,578 of 13,661
I have been doing some tip rolling, and have landed on some SpinFits (one size smaller than I usually do for deeper insertion), and I am loving the sound so far. So, the SpinFits do fit, and help give the Serial some added weight and punch down low, while filling in the lower mids just a bit more as well. I plan to do more tip rolling, but for now I am quite happy with the SpinFits.
I will quote myself. In case you want to try more tip rolling.
I use Xelastec on both Serial and Volt. They have a wide bore.

What I realized, after reading a post that I cannot locate, is that the tips do not really improve one range or another, what they do is cut frequencies compared to if I had the earphone without a tip. Cutting the highs and mids, for example, can seem to increase the bass. In the end, what I decided, and it works well for me, is to try to make the sound output as clean as possible, that the tip affects as little as possible, and if I want to touch up any range, I do it through EQ. That is why the Xelastec suit me very well, and contrary to what some people say, they are very comfortable for me. In addition, the silicone is moldable with the heat of the inner ear, and once put on, they remain adhered, and do not move.
I've bought some Azla SednaEarfit Crystal also, that seems to be an evolution of the Xelastec, but I don't have them yet to compare.

Apr 18, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #4,579 of 13,661
I will quote myself. In case you want to try more tip rolling.

I've bought some Azla SednaEarfit Crystal also, that seems to be an evolution of the Xelastec, but I don't have them yet to compare.
I tried some Xelastec and did not care for them at all. There is just something about those tips that don't do it for me no matter the iem. I have been looking at the Crystal and have some Symbio W on the way. Thanks for the info!

Apr 18, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #4,580 of 13,661
I tried some Xelastec and did not care for them at all. There is just something about those tips that don't do it for me no matter the iem. I have been looking at the Crystal and have some Symbio W on the way. Thanks for the info!
I'm sorry they didn't serve you. Until the Xelastec, I used to use Spinfit CP100 or 145 depending on the IEM, or the Final type E, when I wanted to boost the bass. In all cases they sometimes moved, or came out a little, enough to increase the resonance peaks of the inner ear, or decrease the insulation. I also liked that they have intermediate sizes. That's why the Xelastecs worked well for me, because they don't move around, and they give me fantastic insulation. As I say, now I also prefer wide mouth tips, and affect the sound coming out of the IEM as little as possible. When I want to boost the bass, I do it with a low-self EQ and I also have better control of other frequencies or peaks. I read many times in these forums that tips are the cheapest way to change the sound of an IEM, and I have always thought that the cheapest way, and that gives you more control, is to equalize what you don't like.

Apr 18, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #4,581 of 13,661

Yeah, sizing down is key to optimizing fit and sound on the Serial, I’ve found.

The tips that work best for me on the Serial are Spiral Dots and black Sednas with long grey stems. My impressions:

For the first time in my life I bought S sized tips - because my usual Azla Sednaearfits were promising but felt too big for the Serial to sit properly in my ear. They arrived today and they were perfect for the job. Great for treble, stage and clarity with no appreciable loss of bass.

(I usually use ML in Spirals, M in Sedna and L in most other tips so sizing down this far is quite new to me.)

Shoutout to @ehjie who iirc recommended the long stemmed black Sednas for the Serial :)
Spirals are great for the Serial as well - makes me realise its treble is more capable than I think. Going to try sizing down on those next so that they can sit deeper in my ears.

I use Xelastec on both Serial and Volt. They have a wide bore.

Xelastecs didn’t do it for me on Serial but I like them on Volt! They complement vocals real well though they’re a pain to keep clean.

Apr 18, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #4,582 of 13,661
I'm sorry they didn't serve you. Until the Xelastec, I used to use Spinfit CP100 or 145 depending on the IEM, or the Final type E, when I wanted to boost the bass. In all cases they sometimes moved, or came out a little, enough to increase the resonance peaks of the inner ear, or decrease the insulation. I also liked that they have intermediate sizes. That's why the Xelastecs worked well for me, because they don't move around, and they give me fantastic insulation. As I say, now I also prefer wide mouth tips, and affect the sound coming out of the IEM as little as possible. When I want to boost the bass, I do it with a low-self EQ and I also have better control of other frequencies or peaks. I read many times in these forums that tips are the cheapest way to change the sound of an IEM, and I have always thought that the cheapest way, and that gives you more control, is to equalize what you don't like.
No worries, we all have different ears and preferences. I tend to like my sound warmer/bassier than most, and don't use EQ ever, so the SpinFits or Final Type E are usually what I end up with. As a matter of fact, I have SpinFits on all 3 of my iems at the moment, as they really do fit my ears and preferences quit well. Thanks again for the info!

Apr 18, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #4,583 of 13,661
Yeah, sizing down is key to optimizing fit and sound on the Serial, I’ve found.

The tips that work best for me on the Serial are Spiral Dots and black Sednas with long grey stems. My impressions:

Xelastecs didn’t do it for me on Serial but I like them on Volt! They complement vocals real well though they’re a pain to keep clean.
Thanks for the info! I have some of the black Sednas with long grey stems on hand, and plan to give those a try later today.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #4,584 of 13,661
Azla Crystal have just arrived and are a clear improvement over the Xelastec. They're not as sticky, but they stay put, so they do their job. Maybe it's my mind, I've only listened for a few minutes, but I notice that they open the soundstage compared to the Xelastec. The behavior in the frequency range is very similar. The cylindrical body is a bit narrower, so they fit like a glove on the Serials, but they won't fit the Volts. They also come with an adapter for narrower bores.

Apr 18, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #4,585 of 13,661
Finally, I thought it appropriate to write a review of the Totem adapter cable.

Here is my humble opinion:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-totem-adapter-cable.25805/reviews#review-28359

Penon Totem Adapter Cable 07_r.jpg

P.S.: photos added, I forgot about them!!!!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #4,586 of 13,661
Finally, I thought it appropriate to write a review of the Totem adapter cable.

Here is my humble opinion:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-totem-adapter-cable.25805/reviews#review-28359

Penon Totem Adapter Cable 07_r.jpg
“It is as if the elements go from 2D to 3D, from black/white to colour, from low resolution to high resolution”

This. I tried to describe this dimensionality elsewhere in this thread as well, so it’s interesting to see your impressions square with my experience using the Totem adapter. Nicely done review!

Apr 18, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #4,587 of 13,661
I had a thought. I am wondering if Penon can make an IEM with the insides of the shell lined with the Totem material. Hence giving the sound a much more robust dimensionalism. Just an idea. Lol

Speaking of Totem. You guys know about this?

1650309068973.png

Its actually got a little dac chip inside this thing. Converting USB-C to 3.5 or 2.5mm out. Dont think it is a true balanced out though but I bet this sounds good none the less.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #4,588 of 13,661
I assume you're using the CP145, correct?

Apr 18, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #4,589 of 13,661
Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #4,590 of 13,661
I just received the PAC earbuds which are currently free with most Penon or ISN cable purchases, they are really quite good especially being free! The sound is full (especially with foams), relatively balanced, good stage and timbre, very good imaging, slightly mellow but not overly smoothing the details to achieve it.

If you’ve been thinking about buying a cable this is a great time to take advantage of the site wide sale and get a good pair of buds for free.

Attachments

• C5668819-7BFB-460B-BCBF-05A36E99DC6A.jpeg
    C5668819-7BFB-460B-BCBF-05A36E99DC6A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back