The PENON official thread
Feb 4, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #2,011 of 13,712
Damn... H40 was gorgeous. Orb is gorgeous. Fan is gorgeous. Everything from Penon is so nice looking! X_X

Fan(green tips) - Much lighter sound than Orb. Brighter, much clearer. There is rumble deep down. The detail on these is actually very good, but it rides that fine line of being too bright/sharp(0 hours burn-in). Bass is good, nothing lackluster or amazing. Probably a bit soft and lacking definition.

Fan(blue tips) - Softer treble, more bass(?). More balanced and full sounding. Yeah, this is very nice... Very crisp, clear detail, not too bright! Love the clarity! These are kicking the Orb's ass :\ Why, Orb, whyyyyyyyyyy... Bass maybe seems distant sometimes, and the treble balance is certainly boosted somewhere. I totally recommend these! They are basically the opposite tuning of Orb lol.

For me, Penon Fan does itself zero favors with its tips. I usually need large tips and the only Fan ones that fit me are the large blue. Those just ridiculously pump up the bass until it swallows a lot of what's above it.

I saw another head-fi'er somewhere complain that they were bass cannons and muffled up above, and I'll bet it was the same tips. I usually use foams because I like some bass heft, and I've never had silicones that did this kind of fat-bottomed effect.

For instance, David Bowie's "Tis a Pity She Was a Whore" from "Blackstar"--an album with a lot of moving parts to test separation, natural timbre, top-to-bottom response--has some free-jazz saxophone squalling in the second half, and with the blue tips it was like the saxophones were somewhere down the street.

I swapped in Comply Comfort tips and lo and behold--there is midrange and treble alongside that rich bass, and it all sounds good and clear. Too bad Complys are so short-lived. For some reason, on the Fan my affordable knockoff foams don't provide the same seal they usually do.

Also, the Fan could use a better cable. The included one looks flimsy, and the way it's bent at the ends, apparently with some kind of memory, does not help with seating the shells in my ears.

Penon, why undermine a good IEM (at $139 list) with lame accessories? I don't need a pretty embroidered case with a tassel. I do need good tips and cable.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #2,012 of 13,712
For me, Penon Fan does itself zero favors with its tips. I usually need large tips and the only Fan ones that fit me are the large blue. Those just ridiculously pump up the bass until it swallows a lot of what's above it.

I saw another head-fi'er somewhere complain that they were bass cannons and muffled up above, and I'll bet it was the same tips. I usually use foams because I like some bass heft, and I've never had silicones that did this kind of fat-bottomed effect.

For instance, David Bowie's "Tis Pity She's a Whore" from "Blackstar"--an album with a lot of moving parts to test separation, natural timbre, top-to-bottom response--has some free-jazz saxophone squalling in the second half, and with the blue tips it was like the saxophones were somewhere down the street.

I swapped in Comply Comfort tips and lo and behold--there is midrange and treble alongside that rich bass, and it all sounds good and clear. Too bad Complys are so short-lived. For some reason, on the Fan my affordable knockoff foams don't provide the same seal they usually do.

Also, the Fan could use a better cable. The included one looks flimsy, and the way it's bent at the ends, apparently with some kind of memory, does not help with seating the shells in my ears.

Penon, why undermine a good IEM (at over $150 list) with lame accessories? I don't need a pretty case; I do need good tips and cable.
I agree, these are very ear tip dependent. I find the Fan to be bass cannons, in the mid bass, so really quite muddy, with the stock blue tips and with SpiralDots, surprisingly. These are still too mid bassy with most other ear tips I’ve tried, but finally I found a decent balance with ePro horn tips. They seem to focus and sharpen the mid bass, so it doesn‘t bleed as badly. It still provides a thick and heavy sound, but at least it isn’t mud. The resolution and detail is really quite good, as are the other technicalities in general. I’m a bass head, but more specifically a sub bass head, and am actually really sensitive to overdone mid bass. If you like thick and warm sound signatures, these IEMs are for you.

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #2,013 of 13,712
Wow. If the Volt sounds this amazing with the OS849..... WHATS IT GONNA BE LIKE WITH THE TOTEM?!?!
The answer is AWESOME! The only other cable that comes close on the Volts is PW 1950s, in my opinion. And that’s really saying something about how incredible the Totem is, let alone what amazing value it is relatively.

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #2,014 of 13,712
Sry for this but I feel it's necessary so ppl don't judge penon off My prior posts. The full shipment is coming in 2 separate packages because of the weight.

The Totem, Orb and last os849 just left China and are expected to be here on Tuesday. What a relief, just wish he emailed one of us telling us that it was coming in 2 packages so we didn't freak out upon receiving only half the order.

Great person, great service, great store. 11/10 would recommend penonaudio
Penon’s customer service is truly exceptional in my experience.

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #2,015 of 13,712
If someone says they can hear a difference between different cables, I will give them the benefit of the doubt. I'll have to draw the line, though, at entertaining the thought of "burning in" a cable. What do you think is happening? Are the atomic electron-nucleus attachments becoming more elastic? <Last statement is sarcasm. Sarcasm often does not transmit online and sometimes needs to be explicitly stated>

You can hear the differences between some of the cables like copper and silver. I don't know if you have the equipment to test this, but you can experience it yourself. For example; I've Oriolus Reborn with stock PW No:5 cable and when I switch to Leo+, the bass is audible changing and the stage becomes more open. While the difference between some cables is relatively similar or slightly, some cables may sound noticeably different from each other. In fact, the burn-in process accepted by some people or not believed by many people and I am partly on the side of believing it, but again it doesn't make any drastic changes to the sound, but it definitely helps the sound settle over time. You can find many articles written on this topic on the Internet or people who share their experiences, but my advice would be to trust your own ears and do your own test. Cheers.

Feb 4, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #2,016 of 13,712
With FD5 + Topping D50s + JDS ATOM, I heard a slight reduction/muting of treble switching to a copper cable from stock silver. It was noticeable enough that I didn't enjoy the change, and preferred the full, unmasked detail.

Feb 5, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #2,017 of 13,712
OS849 2020
Yes, if you like Fantastic Bass texture, from sub bass to lower mids
Penon Mids signature kept in check.
I use the original Sedna earfit grey stem, for better trebles...
IMG_20210204_140046.jpg

I ended up getting a Penon Orbit, but more for the looks. Can't resist the shiny silver SPC look, and I think the Orb's signature will be dark enough for most SPC cables.

Who knows, the Orbit might end up going with my Fibae Black instead.

Feb 5, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #2,018 of 13,712
You can hear the differences between some of the cables like copper and silver. I don't know if you have the equipment to test this, but you can experience it yourself. For example; I've Oriolus Reborn with stock PW No:5 cable and when I switch to Leo+, the bass is audible changing and the stage becomes more open. While the difference between some cables is relatively similar or slightly, some cables may sound noticeably different from each other. In fact, the burn-in process accepted by some people or not believed by many people and I am partly on the side of believing it, but again it doesn't make any drastic changes to the sound, but it definitely helps the sound settle over time. You can find many articles written on this topic on the Internet or people who share their experiences, but my advice would be to trust your own ears and do your own test. Cheers.
Sorry but no. There are no physical proofs that cables change the characteristics of sound. If you hear difference that is pure placebo - which means the changes are real, but they exist in your head only.
As for burnin - it is same controversial where it comes to drivers. The burnin might take place there as the driver consist of moving membrane, but cables? C'mon.

Feb 5, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #2,019 of 13,712
Sorry but no. There are no physical proofs that cables change the characteristics of sound. If you hear difference that is pure placebo - which means the changes are real, but they exist in your head only.
As for burnin - it is same controversial where it comes to drivers. The burnin might take place there as the driver consist of moving membrane, but cables? C'mon.
Firstly I have no idea on the science, but I am interested. This guy just changed the cables silver vs copper.

http://sw1xad.co.uk/sound-of-copper...d are clearly audible in the video clip below

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #2,020 of 13,712
By scientific proof I meant something like FR or waterfall graph. Don't get me wrong, I know that in certain circuimstances cables can change sound same way as passive elements in x-overs. Question is - are these changes audible - I believe not.

And also I (not going to use word believe here) know that if cables would share same electric characteristics (impedance, capacitance) they should sound same

Another thing that one needs to consider when buying multi hundreds (or thousands) cable is the fact that internal cabling wont match it.
1612521483720.png

As for the clip - I don't hear difference with any of my sets, if there is audible difference then I am either deaf or anti-placebo effect came into play :wink:

You see, I ususaly scroll over any discussions of cable sounds, I stopped there just because of the "cable burnin" bit. Same kind of hoax as digital cable sound.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #2,021 of 13,712
By scientific proof I meant something like FR or waterfall graph. Don't get me wrong, I know that in certain circuimstances cables can change sound same way as passive elements in x-overs. Question is - are these changes audible - I believe not.

And also I (not going to use word believe here) know that if cables would share same electric characteristics (impedance, capacitance) they should sound same

Another thing that one needs to consider when buying multi hundreds (or thousands) cable is the fact that internal cabling wont match it.
1612521483720.png

As for the clip - I don't hear difference with any of my sets, if there is audible difference then I am either deaf or anti-placebo effect came into play :wink:

You see, I ususaly scroll over any discussions of cable sounds, I stopped there just because of the "cable burnin" bit. Same kind of hoax as digital cable sound.
Your reply is good. We are able to discuss it. Some on this site 'shoot the messenger' so no discussion is possible. My camp is I haven't any idea yes or no. If I hear any difference imagined or not then my 'I like/don't like' gland is stimulated. Belief has caused many problems for our small world we are trying to kindly share/live together on.

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #2,022 of 13,712
Your reply is good. We are able to discuss it. Some on this site 'shoot the messenger' so no discussion is possible. My camp is I haven't any idea yes or no. If I hear any difference imagined or not then my 'I like/don't like' gland is stimulated. Belief has caused many problems for our small world we are trying to kindly share/live together on.
Thanks mate, I'm trying as much to be civilised these days :)

Let's just leave this discussion on cables, I mean world have seen hundred of thousands of them going straight into flamewars.
Let's just enjoy our music (or hardware or hardware&music) :)

Feb 6, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #2,023 of 13,712
comparison between the Fan and FH3?
This is gonna be real tricky... Penon Fan VS FiiO FH3

The vocal tone of FH3 seems a slightly hollow/nasal. Vocals on both seem clear, but somewhat thin. It can sound like there is vocal sibilance on Fan(with s, f, p's) in songs with up-front/intimate vocals and moderate reverb, but I think it's Fan's higher-tuned treble intensifying reverb & treble more than FH3.

I think Fan(Spiral Dot) has a more natural tone, at least for vocals and treble. FH3 sounds more balanced, breathable, lighter. The treble harshness/intensity seems worse on FH3, without a doubt. I do find both to be too intense, though. The peaks of FH3 seem concentrated around the lower-to-mid treble, while the peaks of Fan are smaller and more spread around the frequencies.

Mids sound more recessed on Fan(Spiral Dot).

Fit of FH3 is fairly loose, and weighty. Fan much better, no issues.

Fan(blue tips) sounds the most exciting. NewBee foams seem to tone down the intensity only slightly, and mutes and flattens the bass a little. CP100 tips seem to boost/brighten the mids a bit - still not what I'm looking for. Spiral Dots seem to calm/darken & balance the overall sound best, from these tips. (The other stock tips were really terrible, from what I recall)

FH3 seems to have less treble extension and clarity/resolution.

I like the treble and tone of Fan more(mild-to-moderately).
I like the bass generally equally, but FH3 takes the cake in the sub-bass in some songs.
I like the mids and balance of FH3 more(mild-to-moderately).
I like the fit of Fan more(moderately).

TL;DR Verdict - Tie.

Uncensored Verdict - On the grand scale, I find both of these equally flawed, as to not recommend either(or to recommend either) equally. Fan for more pizzazz, FH3 for more balance. If you are truly stuck choosing an IEM at this price(it's not a great place to be, IMO), I would simply try to find something less flawed. Starfield? YUME? Legacy 4? Or, buy one and put your EQ wizardry skills to the test. If you're looking for an FPS gaming IEM at this price, you need the Tape Pro or Starfield, not these. If you are choosing solely on bass quality, I can say FH3, by a small margin. They do sound quite good if you've never heard this level before, but I think these are probably not the best choices around this price. Spend less, or save up for more and skip the $110-198 bracket, IMO. (Also skip KBear Believe at $199, and Orb at $259 :\)
photo_2021-02-06_22-17-09x.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #2,024 of 13,712
I've put a lot of thought into this as I expect it will ruffle some feathers, but here goes. A little ways back in this thread people were asking why so few reviews exist for Penon's IEMs. I've been wondering, just based on my own experience, whether it's possible that enough people just don't like them. I'd say out of around 5 times I've mentioned Orbs in PMs to people, 4 of them were also disappointed and passed them along. (That's not a reduced ratio from 10, 20, or 100 PMs, it really is just a small sample of 5)

Here's why that could lead to there being very few, but very favorable, reviews:

- If you are not fond of something, and you've spent enough hours to realize that, you don't want to spend even more hours just to write a sufficiently detailed review about what you don't like about it. You want to spend your precious listening time each day on something you already love, or something new that you might love.
- A positive review, or even hyped review gets this kind of comment: "Hm sounds like this will be my next IEM... how do they compare to x?" A negative review will challenge the reviewer for emphasizing their own taste above objectivity, the reviewer being inexperienced, the reviewer not having tried the perfect combination of sources/tips that turns the IEM around, etc. A high investment hobby is a highly defensive hobby.
- At least personally, if I think something's incredible I'll want others to try it so I'll write about it. If I don't enjoy an IEM, I realize it could just be personal and don't want to stop others trying/potentially harm sales when often I have no issues with the companies creating the IEMs.

I have tried the Orbs, and recently the Fans by Penon, and for the record, I havea negative take on each. But I'll start with context so you can take my obviously subjective findings (regarding sound at least) and work out whether or not you align, or whether you consider my opinion worth caring for:
- I've only been in the hobby about 1-1.5 years at this point.
- IEMs I've tried (roughly chronological, and excluding TWS... and bold for favorites): Tin T2, Orivetti New Primacy, NuForce Primo 8, PSB M4U 4, Final E4000, CA Nova, Shuoer Tape, TRN V90, KZ KS10 Pro, NuForce HEM2, Moondrop Starfield, BLON 03, Etymotic ER2XR, Moondrop SSR, ISN D02, ISN H40, ThieAudio L3, ThieAudio L4, NF Audio NM2+, JVC FDX1, Moondrop Blessing 2, AudioSense T800, BGVP DM8, Final A4000.
A clear preference for bright neutral with forward mids, but I'm starting to like that a little less, for example by Moondrop B2's now feel like I wouldn't want the upper mids any higher, and might, just might, like the Dusk. Some bassier IEMs in the list like BL03, Starfield to some extent, D02. If I had to liquidate everything (I only own one IEM at a time anyway, besides brief overlap periods of comparison) I would actually probably try to get away with still owning a BL-03 as my go-to all-rounder, with compromises that I'm fine with. I have a pair of Final E5000 arriving on Monday, so I'm not adverse to bass that's done right for my tastes.
- It's not partisan, I think Penon Audio is a fantastic company, not really a fan of ThieAudio's tunings either for the L3 and L4, though I still prefer them especially based on price. Maybe such high expectations of Penon, plus rave reviews, are part of this
- My sources are not complex. Right now it's an iPhone with the Apple dongle, soon it will be a Hiby R3 Pro. Many of the IEMs on my list I've had the chance to hear amplified through a portable DAC (Fiio A5, Topping NX1S), but in many cases that didn't really make any difference. Plus I consider it part of the R&D of making an IEM to have them perform well without being reliant on clunky additions to the source chain, a huge part of why IEMs exist is because of portability.

With that aside, here are my two micro-reviews. Largely subjective, I'm not one to get into details of "transients", or exactly what Hz emphasis I like/dislike.

Penon Orb
When I was able to obtain a pair within my low budget, I was over the moon based on reviews I had seen, and knowing the quality of service and audio expertise Penon have. Beautiful IEMs, excellent build quality, perfectly good accessories.

Bass: I knew this was meant to be an emphasis of this model. It is certainly emphasized. It does have plenty of texture. Overall my response was that it was... clownish is all I can say. It reminded me of when I had a CA Nova and my impression of the bass was that it was made by thumping on a tea-chest. I'm not sure if it fits the audiophile term "boxy" for when talking about bass. Bass guitar heavy music like tracks from Cory Wong's albums had great texture like I mentioned, but the overall sound of the bass just didn't sound like a real life bass guitar. Had a weird "spring" to it? Grasping for vocabulary here. To be fair, it certainly was not a bass that bled, it was at least controlled.

Mids: I'd read so much about heavenly vocals, beautiful mids, etc. All I can say is the mids didn't do anything wrong, but were far from interesting, and didn't do enough to do justice to mid-centric or vocal pieces.

Treble: What treble? To be fair, if people critiqued anything, it was this, so that seems to be well known.

So I found it dark and bassy, and even then didn't think the bass was done masterfully or that well compared to IEMs I owned that didn't even make bass their priority. I foudn they emphasized bass where it was barely present and not meant to me emphasized, and pushed it to 11 to the depriment of the music's realism where it was present. Until this point everything I'd seen suggested these were all-rounders, comparing them to true all-rounders like the Blessing 2; but to me they had pretty limited uses, and didn't emphasize bass in a way I liked when I did want big bass emphasis.

Penon Fan
I had high expectations for the Orbs and was a little disappointed. I had very reasonable expectations for the fan, and compared to what's on the market, was very disappointed. Something to bear in mind: it only cost $70 (or $80 with express shipping, this is the first time I tried that and it helped a little due to stock running out) after an exclusive discount. So this is supposed to go neck and neck with $140 offerings. I will mostly compare it with the ISN D02 because that is $80 without any discounts.

I'm usually one to skip past "construction" and "accessories" when reading reviews but I feel it's relevant in this case:
- The cable was a little spindly, and has far too much springy memory. The ISN D02 came with an equally slender cable, but one that is much more supple. It's also the only case where instead of thinking "people will complain about it being skinny, but it does the job just fine" I can actually point to genuine an objective quality issues, like there being crispy flakes of glue where the cable joins into the MMCX heads.
- It's a lovely embroidered box. The box/case are the part of accessories I interact with least and have the least impact on overall experience for me though.
- The tips are not good tips, I appreciate a decently wide selection, but will not end up using any of them. Chonky silicone.

Abbreviated to what's of note: First time I'd received a cable that the naked eye can quickly detect to be a rush job.

As far as build quality of the IEMs themselves, they are very very light weight which shouldn't be an issue itself, even if psychologically we often associate heft with quality. But again going to the D02, light as they are I do not have any reserves about the durability of their resin. The Fans on the other hand feel (I understand it's just feeling and could be wrong) both light and brittle. Impression-wise, these are the cheapest feeling IEM shells I've felt, to the touch. I loved the "starry night" stabilized wood faceplates in other photos I'd seen, just bad luck but I ended up with a fairly low constrast portion of wood, so they're a fairly flat drab purple.

I did try them with their stock cable, but spent more time with an 8 core copper cable made by a brand I think is banned here, suffice to say they make affordable cables, feature the penultimate letter of the alphabet twice, and wouldn't rhyme too badly with "Yoohoo".

I'm running out of time here for the actual sound response, but all I can say is that I did not think they performed well for $70, yet alone the $140 asked. The ISN D02 has great bass, drums sound incredible on them, soundstage is huge, mids are clear with great bite higher up for guitars and sometimes vocals, treble is well extended and provides decent air. It is new for $80. I'd say the Fan does worse in every category besides perhaps having better sub-bass. I want to turn them up all the time because the entire mid-range sounds veiled to me, perhaps more than any of the others in the list I provided earlier. Treble didn't stick out to me, but I'll allow the cliche of "good sparkle".

I'll grant that it's inoffensive, but you could deep insert a marshmallow into your ear, followed by an IEM of your choice, if your criteria of choice is "no harsh sounds". Good subbass and smooth sound are all I can think of in their favor. They do also have good stage, and they do have clean (if veiled) sound, they're not muddy.

I'm not doing that great of a job of being detailed about the shortfallings in sound, and that's one reason I held off saying anything. But what is very clear to me is that there are many other cheaper or equal priced IEMs that even if I don't quite like the FR, can acknowledge great strengths in. With these the only thing they do better than average is the sub-bass, meanwhile the industry is producing sets for $50 or less that have more than on strength, or could even be considered all rounders. This sounds more like the $40 level Chi-Fi, but that would be an insult to Blon's BL03 or Moondrop's SSR, which have many strengths, and depending on taste could be all-rounders. Each of those could be an $80 IEM and hold their own. Compared to peers like the D02, the Fan is hugely wanting. For reference, the ThieAudio Legacy 3 sells for less than the $140 suggest price. Even though it's FR isn't my favorite, it is a wildly more interesting IEM. A main reason for writing this is someone new to the hobby with not much to spend could do so much better in my opnion.

Out of all the IEMs I've tried, it's the only one that excludes itself from most genres for me, there is not a single track or genre I would want to listen to these on more than others in or below its price range.

Frankly, based on clear poor quality that went it the cable, yet alone lackluster sound profile, I would want to just send them back. But you know how it is about sending something back to China (incredibly expensive).

I can't honestly believe that Penon didn't design and produce this IEM expecting they would always be selling it at the $70 mark, never the full MSRP. I feel even more sorry for anyone who paid full price. A lot of feedback so far in my opinion makes these sound better than they are, when I would immediately direct anyone to other IEMs for the same or less. So even if I can't articulate all of my poor impressions all that well, I felt I had a duty to throw them into the mix.

In ending this ramble where I spent longer qualifying my opinion than giving it, I do want to emphasize that I have no ill-will for Penon. If I could try the Sphere for a low price, I'd still be interested. I will never be able to afford the Volt, but I would not assume from the 2 IEMs I've tried that it's not excellent. I know that their customer service is excellent and that they show great respect and appreciation for the community. Perhaps my high regard from them makes my disappointments worse, but this is not meant to be an attack on them, just an honest take on 2 of their IEMs that didn't seem aligned with others I was reading.

I'm perfectly open to counters too, people who find this will need to read them to balance it out. Maybe a mid-recessed, smooth, sub-bass emphasized IEM is a niche of its own? Let me know.

Feb 7, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #2,025 of 13,712
I've put a lot of thought into this as I expect it will ruffle some feathers, but here goes. A little ways back in this thread people were asking why so few reviews exist for Penon's IEMs. I've been wondering, just based on my own experience, whether it's possible that enough people just don't like them. I'd say out of around 5 times I've mentioned Orbs in PMs to people, 4 of them were also disappointed and passed them along. (That's not a reduced ratio from 10, 20, or 100 PMs, it really is just a small sample of 5)

Here's why that could lead to there being very few, but very favorable, reviews:

- If you are not fond of something, and you've spent enough hours to realize that, you don't want to spend even more hours just to write a sufficiently detailed review about what you don't like about it. You want to spend your precious listening time each day on something you already love, or something new that you might love.
- A positive review, or even hyped review gets this kind of comment: "Hm sounds like this will be my next IEM... how do they compare to x?" A negative review will challenge the reviewer for emphasizing their own taste above objectivity, the reviewer being inexperienced, the reviewer not having tried the perfect combination of sources/tips that turns the IEM around, etc. A high investment hobby is a highly defensive hobby.
- At least personally, if I think something's incredible I'll want others to try it so I'll write about it. If I don't enjoy an IEM, I realize it could just be personal and don't want to stop others trying/potentially harm sales when often I have no issues with the companies creating the IEMs.

I have tried the Orbs, and recently the Fans by Penon, and for the record, I havea negative take on each. But I'll start with context so you can take my obviously subjective findings (regarding sound at least) and work out whether or not you align, or whether you consider my opinion worth caring for:
- I've only been in the hobby about 1-1.5 years at this point.
- IEMs I've tried (roughly chronological, and excluding TWS... and bold for favorites): Tin T2, Orivetti New Primacy, NuForce Primo 8, PSB M4U 4, Final E4000, CA Nova, Shuoer Tape, TRN V90, KZ KS10 Pro, NuForce HEM2, Moondrop Starfield, BLON 03, Etymotic ER2XR, Moondrop SSR, ISN D02, ISN H40, ThieAudio L3, ThieAudio L4, NF Audio NM2+, JVC FDX1, Moondrop Blessing 2, AudioSense T800, BGVP DM8, Final A4000.
A clear preference for bright neutral with forward mids, but I'm starting to like that a little less, for example by Moondrop B2's now feel like I wouldn't want the upper mids any higher, and might, just might, like the Dusk. Some bassier IEMs in the list like BL03, Starfield to some extent, D02. If I had to liquidate everything (I only own one IEM at a time anyway, besides brief overlap periods of comparison) I would actually probably try to get away with still owning a BL-03 as my go-to all-rounder, with compromises that I'm fine with. I have a pair of Final E5000 arriving on Monday, so I'm not adverse to bass that's done right for my tastes.
- It's not partisan, I think Penon Audio is a fantastic company, not really a fan of ThieAudio's tunings either for the L3 and L4, though I still prefer them especially based on price. Maybe such high expectations of Penon, plus rave reviews, are part of this
- My sources are not complex. Right now it's an iPhone with the Apple dongle, soon it will be a Hiby R3 Pro. Many of the IEMs on my list I've had the chance to hear amplified through a portable DAC (Fiio A5, Topping NX1S), but in many cases that didn't really make any difference. Plus I consider it part of the R&D of making an IEM to have them perform well without being reliant on clunky additions to the source chain, a huge part of why IEMs exist is because of portability.

With that aside, here are my two micro-reviews. Largely subjective, I'm not one to get into details of "transients", or exactly what Hz emphasis I like/dislike.

Penon Orb
When I was able to obtain a pair within my low budget, I was over the moon based on reviews I had seen, and knowing the quality of service and audio expertise Penon have. Beautiful IEMs, excellent build quality, perfectly good accessories.

Bass: I knew this was meant to be an emphasis of this model. It is certainly emphasized. It does have plenty of texture. Overall my response was that it was... clownish is all I can say. It reminded me of when I had a CA Nova and my impression of the bass was that it was made by thumping on a tea-chest. I'm not sure if it fits the audiophile term "boxy" for when talking about bass. Bass guitar heavy music like tracks from Cory Wong's albums had great texture like I mentioned, but the overall sound of the bass just didn't sound like a real life bass guitar. Had a weird "spring" to it? Grasping for vocabulary here. To be fair, it certainly was not a bass that bled, it was at least controlled.

Mids: I'd read so much about heavenly vocals, beautiful mids, etc. All I can say is the mids didn't do anything wrong, but were far from interesting, and didn't do enough to do justice to mid-centric or vocal pieces.

Treble: What treble? To be fair, if people critiqued anything, it was this, so that seems to be well known.

So I found it dark and bassy, and even then didn't think the bass was done masterfully or that well compared to IEMs I owned that didn't even make bass their priority. I foudn they emphasized bass where it was barely present and not meant to me emphasized, and pushed it to 11 to the depriment of the music's realism where it was present. Until this point everything I'd seen suggested these were all-rounders, comparing them to true all-rounders like the Blessing 2; but to me they had pretty limited uses, and didn't emphasize bass in a way I liked when I did want big bass emphasis.

Penon Fan
I had high expectations for the Orbs and was a little disappointed. I had very reasonable expectations for the fan, and compared to what's on the market, was very disappointed. Something to bear in mind: it only cost $70 (or $80 with express shipping, this is the first time I tried that and it helped a little due to stock running out) after an exclusive discount. So this is supposed to go neck and neck with $140 offerings. I will mostly compare it with the ISN D02 because that is $80 without any discounts.

I'm usually one to skip past "construction" and "accessories" when reading reviews but I feel it's relevant in this case:
- The cable was a little spindly, and has far too much springy memory. The ISN D02 came with an equally slender cable, but one that is much more supple. It's also the only case where instead of thinking "people will complain about it being skinny, but it does the job just fine" I can actually point to genuine an objective quality issues, like there being crispy flakes of glue where the cable joins into the MMCX heads.
- It's a lovely embroidered box. The box/case are the part of accessories I interact with least and have the least impact on overall experience for me though.
- The tips are not good tips, I appreciate a decently wide selection, but will not end up using any of them. Chonky silicone.

Abbreviated to what's of note: First time I'd received a cable that the naked eye can quickly detect to be a rush job.

As far as build quality of the IEMs themselves, they are very very light weight which shouldn't be an issue itself, even if psychologically we often associate heft with quality. But again going to the D02, light as they are I do not have any reserves about the durability of their resin. The Fans on the other hand feel (I understand it's just feeling and could be wrong) both light and brittle. Impression-wise, these are the cheapest feeling IEM shells I've felt, to the touch. I loved the "starry night" stabilized wood faceplates in other photos I'd seen, just bad luck but I ended up with a fairly low constrast portion of wood, so they're a fairly flat drab purple.

I did try them with their stock cable, but spent more time with an 8 core copper cable made by a brand I think is banned here, suffice to say they make affordable cables, feature the penultimate letter of the alphabet twice, and wouldn't rhyme too badly with "Yoohoo".

I'm running out of time here for the actual sound response, but all I can say is that I did not think they performed well for $70, yet alone the $140 asked. The ISN D02 has great bass, drums sound incredible on them, soundstage is huge, mids are clear with great bite higher up for guitars and sometimes vocals, treble is well extended and provides decent air. It is new for $80. I'd say the Fan does worse in every category besides perhaps having better sub-bass. I want to turn them up all the time because the entire mid-range sounds veiled to me, perhaps more than any of the others in the list I provided earlier. Treble didn't stick out to me, but I'll allow the cliche of "good sparkle".

I'll grant that it's inoffensive, but you could deep insert a marshmallow into your ear, followed by an IEM of your choice, if your criteria of choice is "no harsh sounds". Good subbass and smooth sound are all I can think of in their favor. They do also have good stage, and they do have clean (if veiled) sound, they're not muddy.

I'm not doing that great of a job of being detailed about the shortfallings in sound, and that's one reason I held off saying anything. But what is very clear to me is that there are many other cheaper or equal priced IEMs that even if I don't quite like the FR, can acknowledge great strengths in. With these the only thing they do better than average is the sub-bass, meanwhile the industry is producing sets for $50 or less that have more than on strength, or could even be considered all rounders. This sounds more like the $40 level Chi-Fi, but that would be an insult to Blon's BL03 or Moondrop's SSR, which have many strengths, and depending on taste could be all-rounders. Each of those could be an $80 IEM and hold their own. Compared to peers like the D02, the Fan is hugely wanting. For reference, the ThieAudio Legacy 3 sells for less than the $140 suggest price. Even though it's FR isn't my favorite, it is a wildly more interesting IEM. A main reason for writing this is someone new to the hobby with not much to spend could do so much better in my opnion.

Out of all the IEMs I've tried, it's the only one that excludes itself from most genres for me, there is not a single track or genre I would want to listen to these on more than others in or below its price range.

Frankly, based on clear poor quality that went it the cable, yet alone lackluster sound profile, I would want to just send them back. But you know how it is about sending something back to China (incredibly expensive).

I can't honestly believe that Penon didn't design and produce this IEM expecting they would always be selling it at the $70 mark, never the full MSRP. I feel even more sorry for anyone who paid full price. A lot of feedback so far in my opinion makes these sound better than they are, when I would immediately direct anyone to other IEMs for the same or less. So even if I can't articulate all of my poor impressions all that well, I felt I had a duty to throw them into the mix.

In ending this ramble where I spent longer qualifying my opinion than giving it, I do want to emphasize that I have no ill-will for Penon. If I could try the Sphere for a low price, I'd still be interested. I will never be able to afford the Volt, but I would not assume from the 2 IEMs I've tried that it's not excellent. I know that their customer service is excellent and that they show great respect and appreciation for the community. Perhaps my high regard from them makes my disappointments worse, but this is not meant to be an attack on them, just an honest take on 2 of their IEMs that didn't seem aligned with others I was reading.

I'm perfectly open to counters too, people who find this will need to read them to balance it out. Maybe a mid-recessed, smooth, sub-bass emphasized IEM is a niche of its own? Let me know.
Fair points, and based on your stated preferences, I would definitely steer you away from Penon brand IEMs if you were to have asked me, as I know their tuning is very warm and sometimes dark sounding. I tend to be really sensitive to mid bass boominess, and was well informed about Penon’s house sound. I purchased the Volt specifically for a tuning that’s different from my other IEMs, and it succeeded the way I had hoped. It pulls off Penon’s sound very well, such that I thoroughly enjoy it, even though it‘s not usually my preferred sound signature. Even so, I definitely wouldn’t recommend that you get it. Penon does have a loyal following that happen to really like their tuning, but you’re right that it isn’t a mainstream tuning, and that’s probably a large reason why there aren’t many reviews on their products. However, there are still plenty of people who love to trash items, and we haven’t really heard from them either. FWIW, I have previously stated that I’m not a fan of the Fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back