The PENON official thread
Dec 28, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #1,486 of 13,727
The validity of psychoacoustic phenomenon is demonstrated by a fundamental subjective process and its effect, that perception of a particular sound frequency is altered by shifting its awareness from peripheral to central. This shift simultaneously affects relative perception. Inherently neither good nor bad, but a maze to navigate, potentially, insofar as essence is concerned.

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #1,487 of 13,727
My custom Volt is ready to be shipped. I asked the guys at Penon to send me a photo and here it is. What a beauty :)

@davidmolliere, can you tell me if there is a mesh guard to protect the electronics from ear wax? I don't think I can't see it in the photo.
Penon Volt CIEM.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #1,488 of 13,727
Guys, I am still trying Penon orb even it has driver flex problem. It is too warm for me. I can't hear details on music. Instrument seperation isn't clear. Its subbass is really really good but as I said it is warm for me even I listen to Techno, house or trance music. I also listen to song that have instruments, bad feedback from me :/ It disappointed me. Idk but I think I raised my expectations much.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #1,489 of 13,727
I have had the Orbs to close on 6 months. I do like them but they never wow me. I'm a fan of their musicality, vocals sound good and the bass is fantastic. The rounded bass notes are some of the best at any price. My problems are BA timbre is prevalent in some songs not all but it grates me at times. I find the mids compressed and muddy. I have tried everything cable swapping 2.5 and 3 5. Tip rolling, bright and warm sources. Whilst the imaging is good the stage hasn't got enough air for me and lastly the highs can sound dull and lifeless at times. Maybe it's unit variation or they are just not for me. I will persist with them. One day I may warm to them

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #1,490 of 13,727
I have had the Orbs to close on 6 months. I do like them but they never wow me. I'm a fan of their musicality, vocals sound good and the bass is fantastic. The rounded bass notes are some of the best at any price. My problems are BA timbre is prevalent in some songs not all but it grates me at times. I find the mids compressed and muddy. I have tried everything cable swapping 2.5 and 3 5. Tip rolling, bright and warm sources. Whilst the imaging is good the stage hasn't got enough air for me and lastly the highs can sound dull and lifeless at times. Maybe it's unit variation or they are just not for me. I will persist with them. One day I may warm to them
I don't think it's unit variation. I think you are spot on with your impressions. Along with the Clairvoyance they get the least amount of ear time from me.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #1,491 of 13,727
My custom Volt is ready to be shipped. I asked the guys at Penon to send me a photo and here it is. What a beauty :) @davidmolliere, can you tell me if there is a mesh guard to protect the electronics from ear wax? I don't think I can't see it in the pho.

hey, congrats :)

There is no mesh guard but it's somewhat of a horn bore design so the 3 bore combine into one larger bore it's much safer that way unlikely you will have any issue.

Dec 28, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #1,492 of 13,727
Thank you but I don't like tuning filters or complicated IEMs. I am worried about Dusk's fitting in my ear. Afaik, its housing is a little bigger. I before used to use ibasso it01, audiosense t800 and penon orb :) and they were good for me about fitting. My ear and ear canal is small, I always use small eartips. What do you think? Can Dusk be okay for me?
Well, both of them are not complicated at all, the tuning switches only change the sound a little bit. But if you looking for dusk, I owned the original B2, and I sold it recently, because of its fit and tonality.

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #1,495 of 13,727
Thank you. I changed my mind again and BGVP DM8 is for now. What do you think about it?
I am still waiting for my unit to be arrive. Will share my impression and review once I received it, looks like they deserve pretty positive reviews right now.

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #1,497 of 13,727
I hope they don't have qc problems(mmcx etc) like previous model. I really want to buy after I took refund of Penon Orb.
As far as my owned the VG4 for 5 months and DM7 for 8 months, both of them don’t have any problems with the QC, for its price range the build quality are stunning.

Dec 29, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #1,498 of 13,727
As far as my owned the VG4 for 5 months and DM7 for 8 months, both of them don’t have any problems with the QC, for its price range the build quality are stunning.
Some people are unlucky I guess because they have housing problems like mmcx, color disappearing etc. on their BGVPs. I hope to not encounter any problem when have DM8. Waiting for your impressions. Where will you publish them?

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #1,499 of 13,727
Be nice to have a few tip recommends for Volt. Let me explain. Spiral dots been best as far as retaining most open, warmest, smoothest, most balanced sound; however there’s something like center presence missing, like a void in the middle somehow.
I tried many variations of narrower tips but these seem to neuter the midrange and sharpen treble too much. Foams unbalanced the signature.
I need something with a bore nearly as wide as spiral dots, a little narrower, but not as narrow as spin fit types.
Using eProHorn right now, still evaluating.
Have Azla light short on the way.
Azla exlastic didn’t please either. My other Azlas are all long stem.
All this doesn’t seem to leave too many other options. I don’t know of anything intermediate tween spiral dot and spin fit in terms of bore sizes.
Thanks

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #1,500 of 13,727
Be nice to have a few tip recommends for Volt. Let me explain. Spiral dots been best as far as retaining most open, warmest, smoothest, most balanced sound; however there’s something like center presence missing, like a void in the middle somehow.
I tried many variations of narrower tips but these seem to neuter the midrange and sharpen treble too much. Foams unbalanced the signature.
I need something with a bore nearly as wide as spiral dots, a little narrower, but not as narrow as spin fit types.
Using eProHorn right now, still evaluating.
Have Azla light short on the way.
Azla exlastic didn’t please either. My other Azlas are all long stem.
All this doesn’t seem to leave too many other options. I don’t know of anything intermediate tween spiral dot and spin fit in terms of bore sizes.
Thanks
Sedna Earfits is my #1 rec, and you have it on the way, and you have the ePros already. You could also try the large ADV Eartune elliptical tips, with a deeper insertion. They are wide bore. If you have any TFZ IEMs a lot of them come with wide bore tips as an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back