The PENON official thread
Nov 9, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #1,126 of 13,738
Hi, Do you send digital file impression or physical one to penon?

I have STL files I have used for all my custom for a while now, so digital

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #1,128 of 13,738
Here is the frequency response graph for our Volt.
Volt-FR.png

PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Nov 11, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #1,129 of 13,738
I have really enjoyed the extensive time spent with the OSG Cable, here is my review : https://iem.reviews/2020/11/11/penon-osg-wonder-cable/

img_0757.jpg

The OSG is really a unique cable in my collection and I love it.

Penon is leading the pack innovating with the first graphene infused cable, with a unique sound profile in that it doesn’t affect the frequency response much aside from a slightly leaner lower mids and smoother upper mids. It rather inflects the IEMs signature with a black background, tighter bass and sharper attack and faster decay.

In my opinion this means fantastic synergy with more organic IEMs as it doesn’t change their underlying nature while bringing a more focused and energetic presentation, with also a more linear response with a accurate tone. As you'll see in the pairing section, I found the picture is less obvious with more reference IEMs where the OSG has the merit of letting their inherent strength express to the fullest, but it won’t add or remove anything either if they already possess a black background, reference mids and tight bass.

Nov 12, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #1,130 of 13,738
IMG_20201019_000728-01.jpeg

I was previously using wide bore tips on my Orb due to better comfort. Bass is more prominent, while still having lush vocals and smooth treble. I then tried my Sony tips, the EP EX11 I believe. I found the overall presentation to be more intimate, more clear. Perhaps it was the lower treble that gained the most benefit. It has more energy now. Overall sound suits more genres than before. Seal was also better since the silicone has a more sticky texture like the Xelastec.

images (12).jpeg
images (14).jpeg

Nov 13, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #1,131 of 13,738
I've had mine for about a week now so time for some quick impressions.

The Volt is definitely a "massage your ears" type of iem that's for sure @noknok23! Bass is not clinical to me at all. The overall tuning is really anchored by the exquisite low end and euphoric midrange. Such a full sounding, organic iem that absolutely sounds fantastic and is super engaging for rock music and really anything with vocals.

I loved the Orb, but felt the bass was a bit too prominent and hefty in relation to the upper mids and treble, which I found to be a bit too muted and recessed in comparison. In my opinion, this was fixed with the Volt. Bass to me sounds tighter, a bit more grounded and not quite as slow and loose. Could be just the fact that the overall tuning is more balanced, with more prominence in the treble without ever becoming harsh or fatiguing at all. Treble is smooooooth to my ears, but not missing or too darkly tuned like the Roland. Mids are definitely the star of the show, but you already knew that. For vocals, I'm not sure I've heard a better iem.

There has to be some criticism, right? Well, the euphoric, organic fullness of the mids anchored by the weighty low end does give the impression of lack of space and separation between instruments, especially when compared to your hyper detailed, more clinically tuned iems. It is definitely a trade-off for sure and a compromise I'm willing to make. I'm not saying the Volt sound congested at all, as the details, instrument separation, and sense of space is there, it's just not the focus. The Volt just seems to emphasis the organic, emotional side of music as a whole rather than throwing out all these details for you to dissect.

However, If you want to focus on the details you can, as they are there, but the Volt does not force you to focus on them if you don't want to because the tuning is just so engaging. This is a hell of an attribute to have in an iem. This is the type of iem that makes you smile, tap you toes, and enjoy the music rather than force you to focus on details, which ultimately is what I am after.
Say, by any chance, have you heard the Pola?

Nov 14, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #1,132 of 13,738

The reason I am posting here this track
(flac file) is that I did some A to B (back to back) comparison between :
Penon ORB
Mangird Tea
& iBasso AM05
IMG_20201114_120657.jpg

(Penon ORB)
IMG_20201114_120824.jpg

(Mangird Tea)
IMG_20201114_120758.jpg

(AM05)

It's a complex track including a plethora of physical instruments (brass/cymbals etc...) most of them playing in the treble region
Penon ORB:
It's the most natural /analogical sounding iem between those three
I mean it's the closest to real life reproduction or studio master if you prefer..... Correct imaging and strong resolution
Every note has the correct weight and presence, every instrument has it's correct placement in the scene, impressive separation & soundstage, dynamic life like presentation.
Mangird Tea:
The most airy/fragile sounding of the three
3 dimensional sounding portraying each and every tinny detail in the recording.
The most noticeable difference between the other three is the air flowing between the instruments giving a brilliant sense of space and in addition to this its for sure a detail monster all right......
AM05:
Precise, linear, reference like sound, very fair in the entire frequency spectrum not favoring any region in the cost of any other, musical and engaging as well.....

Just some thoughts from a guy who loves each one of them as well...... :kissing_cat: :smile_cat: :blush:

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #1,133 of 13,738

The reason I am posting here this track
(flac file) is that I did some A to B (back to back) comparison between :
Penon ORB
Mangird Tea
& iBasso AM05
IMG_20201114_120657.jpg
(Penon ORB)
IMG_20201114_120824.jpg
(Mangird Tea)
IMG_20201114_120758.jpg
(AM05)

It's a complex track including a plethora of physical instruments (brass/cymbals etc...) most of them playing in the treble region
Penon ORB:
It's the most natural /analogical sounding iem between those three
I mean it's the closest to real life reproduction or studio master if you prefer..... Correct imaging and strong resolution
Every note has the correct weight and presence, every instrument has it's correct placement in the scene, impressive separation & soundstage, dynamic life like presentation.
Mangird Tea:
The most airy/fragile sounding of the three
3 dimensional sounding portraying each and every tinny detail in the recording.
The most noticeable difference between the other three is the air flowing between the instruments giving a brilliant sense of space and in addition to this its for sure a detail monster all right......
AM05:
Precise, linear, reference like sound, very fair in the entire frequency spectrum not favoring any region in the cost of any other, musical and engaging as well.....

Just some thoughts from a guy who loves each one of them as well...... :kissing_cat: :smile_cat: :blush:

SO which one did you anjoy most?
Does the Tea sounds leaner than Orb?

Nov 14, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #1,134 of 13,738
Nov 15, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #1,135 of 13,738
Which eartips are you using with the Orb?
I enjoyed all of them actually
Each one of them has it's own advantages and presentation, and to be honest differences here is nitpicking actually...
Two things noticed though.....
-The TEAS are detail monsters (due to their extreme transparency/sensitivity)
-The ORBS sounded a bit more natural timbre with the instruments used there...
I am using (on the ORBS) the large single flange silicone vocal tips that came with Fiio FA7

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #1,137 of 13,738
no one did a comparo Volt-Mest-Shoer Jeo7 yet? This is the comparo that we all are waiting for! C'mon reviewers!
@redrol (Michael Bruce) did a really good MEST review on YouTube, and made some comparisons to the EJ07. It’s the EJ07, Volt, ST7, Starlight comparison that I really would love. Throw in the Monarch and Clairvoyance as well.

Nov 17, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #1,138 of 13,738
Some headfiers have MEST and Volt...

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #1,139 of 13,738
My custom Volt are ready and ship tomorrow, I got a preliminary pic from Penon :)
Exciting!

IMG_1221.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back