The PENON official thread
Apr 1, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #13,366 of 13,812
AKM dacs can have a shine to its treble too. Just it'll be step less than the ESS. You just need to find a company that knows how to implement the ESS or AKM to reduce this feeling.

R2r works.......though they sound so boring unfortunately. Wont slam as hard, and will not as be incisive sounding for the imaging dynamics. But you definitely won't have that shiny treble sensitivity.
I've recently gone R2R with the P6 Pro and it's funny how we only fully notice the glare of Delta Sigma DACs when it's removed.

That glare has a way of masquerading itself as detail and does make notes feel more incisive, but there's an associated ringing effect that fatigues. I'm not dissuading anyone from Delta Sigma DACs, AKM DACs in particular are wonderful for the way they portray wide soundstages with inky black backgrounds. Implementation is key.

The Quattros are great because their smoothness effectively negates a lot of that treble fatigue. I agree they love power, as you'd expect with four DDs.

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #13,367 of 13,812
I've recently gone R2R with the P6 Pro and it's funny how we only fully notice the glare of Delta Sigma DACs when it's removed.

That glare has a way of masquerading itself as detail and does make notes feel more incisive, but there's an associated ringing effect that fatigues. I'm not dissuading anyone from Delta Sigma DACs, AKM DACs in particular are wonderful for the way they portray wide soundstages with inky black backgrounds. Implementation is key.

The Quattros are great because their smoothness effectively negates a lot of that treble fatigue. I agree they love power, as you'd expect with four DDs.
And with r2r sources, Quattro also sings with a thump! Combining P6Pro with PB5 and Quattro with the EA Code 24 would make someone think they're listening to $3k iems.

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #13,368 of 13,812
Here they are, the multi DD brothers (or sisters, I don't care):
1000017596.jpg

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #13,369 of 13,812
1712066614596.png

Speaking of Quattro. Recently did a cable review for Lavricables. If you guys don't know Lavricables based out of Latvia. These guys are serious sound heads. Making over 100 plus products with only pure silver including their Master Silver cable shown here. Gotta say Quattro sounds lovely with this cable one of the best synergies for a pure silver cable. I paired this with the warm ISN NEO5 as well and with equally stunning results. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/lavricable-master-silver-v4.27143/review/33424/

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #13,370 of 13,812
1712066614596.png
Speaking of Quattro. Recently did a cable review for Lavricables. If you guys don't know Lavricables based out of Latvia. These guys are serious sound heads. Making over 100 plus products with only pure silver including their Master Silver cable shown here. Gotta say Quattro sounds lovely with this cable one of the best synergies for a pure silver cable. I paired this with the warm ISN NEO5 as well and with equally stunning results. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/lavricable-master-silver-v4.27143/review/33424/
I can see that silver adding in a bit of top end spice details 👌

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #13,371 of 13,812
I can see that silver adding in a bit of top end spice details 👌
Exactly. But what is interesting about this particular cable is that its a refined sounding silver cable meaning it doesn't fall into the regular tropes of pure silver. Trebles are smoother in performance. It does enhance details as all silver type cables do but its very well controlled. Mids sound smoother and airier than with other cables and its bass end is what is really surprising. I compared some of my cheaper pure silver cables to this one in the reader . I always wondered if a cheap $38 pure silver cable will be similar to a much higher end $300 level one. Then in the end I compared them to the Penon golden Armour.

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #13,372 of 13,812
1712066614596.png
I pair my Quattro with Lavricables Grand.
Exactly. But what is interesting about this particular cable is that its a refined sounding silver cable meaning it doesn't fall into the regular tropes of pure silver. Trebles are smoother in performance. It does enhance details as all silver type cables do but its very well controlled. Mids sound smoother and airier than with other cables and its bass end is what is really surprising. I compared some of my cheaper pure silver cables to this one in the reader . I always wondered if a cheap $38 pure silver cable will be similar to a much higher end $300 level one. Then in the end I compared them to the Penon golden Armour.
Yes. It doesn't sound like a regular silver cable. It has the warmth and smoothness of a copper cable along with the details & treble extension of a silver cable. And the trebles aren't harsh. nor is it fatiguing. Plus it boosts the bass in a nice way.

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #13,373 of 13,812
Often difference between more premium silver and cheap is that brightness.and thinner sound, also really reccomend Lavricables 👌

Have a Quattro that will come my way on tour, really look forward to it. DD lover, a reason why Serial and also OG Fan was some of my favorites.

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #13,374 of 13,812
Apr 2, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #13,375 of 13,812
Sorry, but I can't recommend Lavricable at all as their support let me down once.

I think I would rather go for ISN AG8.

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #13,377 of 13,812
While we're at it, I have Renata on Quattro right now and it is another standout. Enhances bass and soundstage, certainly doesn't sound like a $400 iem!

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #13,379 of 13,812

Users who are viewing this thread

Back