The PENON official thread
Jan 2, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #12,181 of 13,813
just checking that song, i hear what you mean, but it is a pretty poorly mastered track, the chorus is just so overproduced it’s like typical example of loudness wars🤣
the dte900 is definitely cleaner more definition and separation etc, but Quattro is still an amazingly enjoyable listen especially for electronic, listening to the new Jazztrronic track, for the money I don’t think I could ask for more, which also makes dte900 an even more amazing purchase as it breathes in the big boyz neck😜
Just hearing the Quattro. Queen sounds Amazing! The kick drum, guitars, and Freddy! The Quattro is fantastic, and most definitely plays better for male vocals than females.

I'll be back with further impressions. This set is way better than the Dome, and gladly so, because it makes me very happy to keep it.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #12,182 of 13,813
I have been using quattro's with tri Grace s cable (4.4) or nicehck jcally (3.5).
Today i decided to try the stock cable but... Which side is up/down? 😅

Attachments

• IMG_20240103_134046.jpg
    IMG_20240103_134046.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jan 3, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #12,183 of 13,813
I have been using quattro's with tri Grace s cable (4.4) or nicehck jcally (3.5).
Today i decided to try the stock cable but... Which side is up/down? 😅
The indent will be the outside. As long as they both match you won’t have polarity issues.

Jan 3, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #12,184 of 13,813
Like this?

Attachments

• IMG_20240103_143639.jpg
    IMG_20240103_143639.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jan 3, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #12,186 of 13,813
Jan 3, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #12,187 of 13,813
Thank you all for the help :o2smile:

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #12,188 of 13,813
just checking that song, i hear what you mean, but it is a pretty poorly mastered track, the chorus is just so overproduced it’s like typical example of loudness wars🤣
I find that the Quattro are a bit revealing. When I was listening an upload of the first pressing of "In The Wee Small Hours of The Morning," vinyl scratching and distortion were readily apparent during the peaks of the song.

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #12,189 of 13,813
Everyone of course can and does have their own opinions! To me, this is one of the reasons I really like to order from Penon. All of the nitpicks that have recently been mentioned, to me are endearing. From their website design, to their email address, to how they are so open in their communication… they seem like the kind of people I would like to know, and am happy to buy from.
Absolutely! 🤗

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #12,190 of 13,813
Thank you for naming a song to compare TDM. I just gave it quite a number of comparing listens with Quattro and 10th AE and am left behind puzzled now :). The song seems badly produced / mixed but that makes it a good test-track...

I agree that the Quattro in comparison has slightly recessed, less forward mids. And (as already said) the Quattro is not neutral aka colored.

But.. I perceive the 10th AE bass as the slower one of the two. It sounds looser and a tad boomier, less controlled compared to the Quattro's, which offers less mid-bass and reaches deeper imo. Besides I would say that the 10th AE is as colored as the Quattro, but very differently. The Quattro pronounces the bass region, the 10th AE especially in direct comparison tends to overdo presence and can sometimes sound almost echoing a bit.

But anyway I wondered about the term "bass bleed" which I would not attest to neither the Quattro nor the 10th AE.

Might be a question of definition / understanding and I may use the term wrongly. In my book 'bass bleed' correlates with affecting the mids and treble of an IEM leading to diminished resolution due to the bass overshadowing the higher frequency ranges. That does not seem to be the case here. The Quattro has a lot of subbass but that does not affect it's presentation of the mids, which are simply tuned differently, less energetic to those of the 10th AE. Typical DD vs. BA one might say... The one IEM I would attest bass bleed to is the Singularity.

As for the coloration I find it hard to judge which one of the two sounds more natural to me. Guess for my taste more often the slightly darker / less forward Quattro takes the lead in the end but it depends on genres and ymmv oc.

I suggest another track to test the differing timbres for yourself:
The Triffids - Jerdacuttup Man
Most of the stuff from SIA is really rather poorly recorded / mixed / mastered. Most IEMs with decent detail retrieval and a revealing character make the shortcomings of many recordings today painfully obvious (sometimes physically painful!). Sadly, far too many poor recordings out there, and bitrate and formats for digital have relatively minimal influence on this.

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #12,191 of 13,813
Ok I lied , I said I was done , I tried T- Tips and now moved onto AZLA Crystal Tips to tighten up bass and back to the 5N pure silver Palladium cable.

For me this gives the best sounding set up , the cable adds in the upper end brilliance I was missing and the Tips tighten up the bass and reduce the mid bass bloat quite alot to make the Quattro colored but not saturated for male or female vocals.

What a ride to get here my set now has about 160 hours on them. I find the biggest difference is the lower bass extension and mids get more textured.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msGlIUy
Maybe you should play also with atmospheric pressure, humidity, temperature and let them play for 2000 hours in the sun. Or maybe the Quattro is not a well tuned IEM and that’s why it is not yet officially sold.

Jan 3, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #12,192 of 13,813
Most of the stuff from SIA is really rather poorly recorded / mixed / mastered. Most IEMs with decent detail retrieval and a revealing character make the shortcomings of many recordings today painfully obvious (sometimes physically painful!). Sadly, far too many poor recordings out there, and bitrate and formats for digital have relatively minimal influence on this.

Right, many new recordings suck in that respect. (One thing I like about the Roon software is that it shows the dynamic range of each album in my library so I can choose the (probably) best one in advance in case I own various editions of an album).

Anyways I am grateful that @ToneDeafMonk lead me to exactly this song of SIA (of whom I have a few albums in my library too, but not that specific OST). It partly made me realize what he heard and reminded me that we all hear differently and be it just because we prefer one genre over another...

I seldomly compare two IEM versus each other directly, but yesterday I did because of TDM and it was quite enlightening.

SIA's song revealed a specific difference between the two IEM very well. But it was just the starting point for a session that lasted almost 3 hours in the end. And as I did not like to listen to the badly produced SIA more often after a few runs (sorry SIA :)) I was mainly listening to a few songs of an older Qobuz playlist of mine, consisting of more analogly produced Indie stuff afterwards (my musical homebase so to say). And therewith the comparison got less easy with each track. Glad I am not a reviewer 🤣 but I say that with all due respect to their attempts to describe what they hear as objectively as they can...

Jan 3, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #12,193 of 13,813
New ISN for 2024! Looks solid? Or semi-solid, wild?
CF1ADD65-1108-4270-833F-091E08272801.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back