The PENON official thread
Dec 5, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #1,201 of 14,143
First, kudos for the detailed impressions and comparisons, very interesting!
:)

I have a different take between Phantoms and Volt but both in my case are CIEMs so there is that and I suspect it does have importance. When I compared my custom Phantom to the universal I noted than the universal wasn't as thick or powerful in the bass as the custom (yes, I am not kidding) and the universal Phantom had a tad more air. To me Volt is better at separation, layering and staging what we agree upon is bite where the Phantom has more upper mids and lower treble energy so definitely more bite. One thing that might be surprising to some, Phantom has more sub bass tilt where the Volt has more mid bass slam and richer textures.

Worth noting, Volt needs more power than the Phantom though, quite noticeably so it's the first IEM I had to use Medium to High gain in Turbo mode with Hiby R8, don't let the low impedance fool you those babies need current and power to shine.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I have no experience with CIEMs at all so I can't compare with your experience. But the differences you pointed out are really interesting to note. I can't imagine the Phantoms being any thicker than the universals, yikes!

I wish I had the time to run the Volt and Phantoms off all my sources to discern the power comment though. But I was running the Volt off my Paw 6k balanced so I think the power requirement should be quite satisfied?

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #1,202 of 14,143
The way people are describing the Volt it reminds me of how I felt when listening to the original LCD-3. Loved the "spectacularly yumminess" of those. Definitely something to melt into the sofa with and listen all day. Thanks for all the impressions. More pics would be nice. 😎

Dec 5, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #1,203 of 14,143
Thanks for the detailed reply! I have no experience with CIEMs at all so I can't compare with your experience. But the differences you pointed out are really interesting to note. I can't imagine the Phantoms being any thicker than the universals, yikes! I wish I had the time to run the Volt and Phantoms off all my sources to discern the power comment though. But I was running the Volt off my Paw 6k balanced so I think the power requirement should be quite satisfied?

LP6K is going to be a bit short IMHO (used to own it)... LPGT would have been as well, R8 has twice the ouput power and some albums I go to high gain turbo so that's 1W @ 32ohms power going through...

I am eager to test the Volt with a good amp, looking at Cayin C9 and its 4W output :)

Dec 5, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #1,204 of 14,143
I drive my volt (balanced connection) with Shanling M6 pro with high gain and its enough to smash my ears at 50/100 volume level, I don’t need to switch it in Turbo mode.
Shanling tuning is quit similar to Volt, I’d like to test Hiby R6 2020 with Volt.

Dec 5, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #1,206 of 14,143
Driven properly doesn't equate to just loud enough. Modern low impedance IEM are deceptive because they don't alway need a lot of power to sound loud enough but they require good current to be driven well enough. This show in dynamics among other things.

I can drive the Volt in low gain turbo off on the R8 or DX160, it just will sound way more laid back mids, with flatter dynamics and less energetic treble than with higher gain and Turbo mode. It's better with high gain lower volume levels than low gain with higher volume levels. At similar power around 6V RMS, R8 will do much better than DX160 in terms of dynamics by the way. So components, voltage swing and output current will matter.

I just tell what I noticed and it's a hint that those who find the Volt to lack energy, feel quite intimate probably haven't experience the full package. Volt feels muted and more closed in with lower gain is all I am saying.

You should try it :)

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #1,207 of 14,143
Dec 5, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #1,208 of 14,143
Hi guys, I just demoed the Volt, ISN H40 and the Mofasest Trio thanks to fellow head-fier @flu_fighter . Major thanks!

I will focus my impressions on the Volt since this is the Penon thread.

The Volt is exactly what folks have said: Thick, rich, intimate. It's easily mistaken for a less capable IEM and one that invites much longer listening to be properly evaluated.

The Orb is also not as successful at being inoffensive like the Volt is. It's already pretty smooth and rich, but the shoutiest tracks will remain shouty, and the sharpest upper mids will remain piercing. People say the Meze Rai Penta is inoffensive and smooth. I disagree now. Not even the Rai Penta can match the smoothness of the Volt, but it is definitely far more textured, detailed and nuanced than the latter. The Volt is probably the most inoffensive technical set I've heard bar none. If you want something to lounge with for the entire day without hurting your eardrums - and I mean, the ENTIRE day, this is truly it.

So do I like the Volt? Well, at first listen, I felt it was unimpressive and unexciting. But as I left it in my ears, there was just something inviting about it. The rich and lush tones balanced with the uncoloured timbre, and enjoyable bass. Less like spectacular fireworks, and more like the gigantic one-pot meal your mum used to make which you miss every now and then. Having left the Volt behind, I kinda wish I could have brought it back with me, and that's usually a good sign.

Excellent write up. I personally could stand to be offended a tad more.

Dec 5, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #1,209 of 14,143
Driven properly doesn't equate to just loud enough. Modern low impedance IEM are deceptive because they don't alway need a lot of power to sound loud enough but they require good current to be driven well enough. This show in dynamics among other things.

I can drive the Volt in low gain turbo off on the R8 or DX160, it just will sound way more laid back mids, with flatter dynamics and less energetic treble than with higher gain and Turbo mode. It's better with high gain lower volume levels than low gain with higher volume levels. At similar power around 6V RMS, R8 will do much better than DX160 in terms of dynamics by the way. So components, voltage swing and output current will matter.

I just tell what I noticed and it's a hint that those who find the Volt to lack energy, feel quite intimate probably haven't experience the full package. Volt feels muted and more closed in with lower gain is all I am saying.

You should try it :)

I completely agree, that loudness doesn't mean being properly driven. The sound from SE DX160 is exactly as you described it - with laid back vocals and less present highs. However it's not the case from balanced output. The vocals are forward and dynamics are also great. Also dsnuts in his review said that he even prefer the sound from se over balanced output from many different devices. And for the reference, I have also listened to them driven by Burson Playmate that's has much more power than any of those DAPs. I'd rather agree more with dsnuts that find Volt rather easy to be driven, though sensitive to different sources and player SQ

Dec 5, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #1,210 of 14,143
33F6E688-2699-485A-BCBE-1B85BE77B00A.jpeg

It’s like listening to vinyl without the crackles and pops.

0B5D7807-C660-43CA-85A3-F43ABAD4D945.jpeg

ok maybe not as good as this but damn

Dec 5, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #1,211 of 14,143
33F6E688-2699-485A-BCBE-1B85BE77B00A.jpeg
It’s like listening to vinyl without the crackles and pops.

ok maybe not as good as this but damn
It’s kind of a shame that you didn’t still have the MEST when you got the Cayin. I would think that particularly the MEST would benefit a lot from the tubed output.

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #1,213 of 14,143
Mest will be amazing with Cayin C9 instead Volt would prefer reference sounding dap, am I wrong?

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #1,214 of 14,143
I am thinking of getting it again lol. There is one used pair for sale in Quebec. I might even dealt with this seller before.
:joy: :joy:

I like the duo of the Quedelix 5K and the Dragonfly Cobalt. Believe it or not, I think the DFC drives inefficient IEMs/HPs better than the 5K does, even in HO balanced. The DFC is bright reference, whereas the 5K sounds more warm and analog-like to me.

I would think the MEST and Z1R would sound amazing with the Cayin tubed DAP. After reading more impressions and graphs on the Volt, it seems like it would be a great complement to MEST, since the MEST has more of a bright analytical sound, whereas the Volt had a warm, lush, rich sound. Both in CIEM form would be amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back