The PENON official thread
Dec 28, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #12,092 of 14,542
Quattro tip rolling

IMG_1251.jpeg

Tl;dr - as many of you probably know, I’ve long settled on the Penon Orange tips, but Quattro plays well with a number of tips that shape its sound in other ways. Quick takes based on my listening notes:

Eletech Baroque

First tips I tried because I love these tips with almost every iem I’ve used them with and they are practically my endgame tips with the Impact. On the Quattro, it bulks up the low end and keeps the highs well extended but somehow doesn’t quite have the end to end cohesion that I hear with other tips.

Penon Liqueur Orange

They’re such a natural match for the Quattro it just feels like something clicking into place. More air to the stage, even more natural timbre. Airy, extended but never strident treble.

Penon Liqueur Black

Bit more bass, bit more treble, more engagement on the whole, but the Orange are slightly better for timbre and air. As I noted previously, these are stiffer than the orange tips so I wasn’t able to insert them as deeply as the Orange.

Divinus Velvet

Good for an instant bass boost. I’d pick these for pop, rock and anything that calls for that big engaging sound.

Trade-off is slightly less treble, positional information and space between notes, as well as slightly less clarity and detail and realism relative to Orange.

Pentaconn Coreir

Quite close to Orange, but I hear a bit more dynamism, impact and harder note edges, while the Orange is more liquid and natural (and also more comfortable).

Azla Sednaearfit Max

More bass than the Orange, more mid-bass bloom in particular, more comfortable than the OG Sednas. If 2023 hadn’t happened and the likes of Coreir and Orange not come along, I might still be using these.

Penon blue hybrid tips

For some reason I seldom get a good fit with these but when I do, they are a pleasure. Good weight and density to the bass, open and airy on top. They sound very dynamic and vivid but the Orange is still more natural when A/Bed.

Penon blue Fan tips

These have a pleasing warmth and softness to their sound. A generous midrange, emphasised over the highs. Probably not the tips to squeeze out the last ounce of the Quattro’s considerable technical capability but good for that warm huggy sound. I’d reach for them anyway because of how well they match:

IMG_1253.jpeg

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #12,093 of 14,542
IMG_1790.jpeg

Also, my reinforcements are here. No more having to share the same pair of tips across half my IEMs!

The blacks do gather dust and detritus so will need to be cleaned quite regularly. Really excellent tips.

Pro-tip: I keep a small ball of putty (blu-tack, tack-it or equivalent) in my tip box and roll it lightly over the eartips as needed. Does the job with Liqueur, Coreir, H570 and other tips of similar material.

I'm using the Shanling M8 for the Serial and the synergy is off the charts with what I have heard so far.

I can imagine. The warm, full, midbassy Shanling house sound is a great match for the Serial, I recall.

I have high hopes that it will not be a disappointment like the DOME was to my ears.

I may have missed something but in what way was Dome a disappointment? Just curious.

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #12,094 of 14,542
I had pending the comparison of the DTE900 and the Penon Quattro. My apologies in advance, because I'm not good at expressing how I feel about music, or the characteristics of an IEM. Let me also say again that my Quattro does not exceed 22 hours of use, but even so it is in the "Honeymoon" phase, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

I am using both IEMs with the cable that synergizes best with them, based on my personal testing. The DTE900 with the AE Fusion 1, the Quattro with the IvipQ 8-core OCC+Palladium+Graphene. Both with Dunu S&S tips. I have tried both with my desktop system. As mentioned, the Quattro needs power to shine. DTE is much more permissive in its use with dongles. On my desktop system, I have to increase the volume more than 10dB when switching from DTE to Quattro.

photo_2023-12-28_19-17-43.jpg

Let's go with the comparison. Let's say that the DTE900 has a fun V shape, without losing details, but the mids and vocals are somewhat more set back, compared to bass and treble, and the Quattro could be said to have a W shape in which the three ranges are practically treated by equal.

The bass is not excessive, in either of them. They cannot be considered basshead IEMs. The quantity feels similar, especially the low-bass. Thanks to our colleagues @ToneDeafMonk and @tgx78 we already have graphics of the Quattro. What I hear agrees with the graph. The Quattro's bass curve slowly descends to the mids. The mids and vocals are typical of Penon. From the mid-bass onwards, the notes feel heavier in the Quattro than in the DTE, and the percussions gain more texture. There are some IEMs where the bass pushes into the mids and ends up ruining them, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Captura de pantalla 2023-12-28 002402.png

For the treble, logic would tell me that they are better in the DTE, with its 4 EST drivers, but the Quattro DD driver dedicated to treble is fantastic. The timbre of the instruments in the Quattro seems appropriate to me. I think that in the treble, both are on par. Maybe some more air, etherity in the DTE?

The Soundstage is wide in both, but better instrumental separation is noted in the DTE. The Quattro's sound is more "wall of sound", while the DTE's is more layered. The Quattro suffers a little more in complex passages with multiple instruments, but nothing excessive either, they behave quite well, just a little worse than the DTE.

As a summary, I don't consider one better than the other. Both for their price/performance are excellent options seeing how other brands have raised the price.
If you love percussive textures, more forward mids, thick notes and general organic musicality, the Quattro. The Penon Tuning has always been excellent for my taste, but with the Quattro they have nailed it. In exchange, the price to pay is that there is worse coherence in complicated passages in which there are many instruments playing at the same time. It's a "Wall of Sound" type of sound. Take into account the power of the source before taking them outside. With little power, you will lose dynamism and they will sound dull.

If you prefer the faster speed of the BA, focus a little more on the detail without losing the fun, a little more separation between instruments, or the more "layered" sound, the DTE. It also has customization switches to adjust it to your liking, and is less demanding on power from the source.. The price to pay are a more set back mids (nothing to object if you like V profiles), and notes that feel "thinner" as soon as you go from the mid-bass up.

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #12,095 of 14,542
The blacks do gather dust and detritus so will need to be cleaned quite regularly.

Pro-tip: I keep a small ball of putty (blu-tack, tack-it or equivalent) in my tip box and roll it lightly over the eartips as needed. Does the job with Liqueur, Coreir, H570 and other tips of similar material.

I always have a couple of these on hand, in case people on this thread don't know them. https://aliexpress.com/item/1005004792400343.html

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #12,096 of 14,542
I may have missed something but in what way was Dome a disappointment? Just curious.
It sounded congested to me. Thinking there was too much midbass. I like the tunning, separation, and spaciousness of the Fan 2, so it might just be a preference.
I got the 10 AE, which is more to my liking, and I find it a "better" Fan 2 version.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #12,097 of 14,542
I had pending the comparison of the DTE900 and the Penon Quattro. My apologies in advance, because I'm not good at expressing how I feel about music, or the characteristics of an IEM. Let me also say again that my Quattro does not exceed 22 hours of use, but even so it is in the "Honeymoon" phase, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Great read! You certainly had no problem expressing yourself, and your description of Quattro squares with what I hear as well, so it was easy to imagine how the DTE900 might sound like.

On my desktop system, I have to increase the volume more than 10dB when switching from DTE to Quattro.

This has been my experience as well with just about every iem I’ve compared Quattro to - maybe not 10dB++ all the time but certainly enough that I have to constantly remind myself to turn the volume back down after that to avoid blowing my eardrums out.

It sounded congested to me. Thinking there was too much midbass. I like the tunning, separation, and spaciousness of the Fan 2, so it might just be a preference.

Thank you. There seems to have been quite a lot said by reviewers - and these are folks who provide reliable and useful data points and impressions imo - but comparatively little in this thread by people who bought them. I haven’t heard Dome myself, so every data point is of interest to me.

Dec 28, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #12,098 of 14,542

I am using both IEMs with the cable that synergizes best with them, based on my personal testing. The DTE900 with the AE Fusion 1, the Quattro with the IvipQ 8-core OCC+Palladium+Graphene. Both with Dunu S&S tips. I have tried both with my desktop system. As mentioned, the Quattro needs power to shine. DTE is much more permissive in its use with dongles. On my desktop system, I have to increase the volume more than 10dB when switching from DTE to Quattro.

Let's go with the comparison. Let's say that the DTE900 has a fun V shape, without losing details, but the mids and vocals are somewhat more set back, compared to bass and treble, and the Quattro could be said to have a W shape in which the three ranges are practically treated by equal.

The bass is not excessive, in either of them. They cannot be considered basshead IEMs. The quantity feels similar, especially the low-bass. Thanks to our colleagues @ToneDeafMonk and @tgx78 we already have graphics of the Quattro. What I hear agrees with the graph. The Quattro's bass curve slowly descends to the mids. The mids and vocals are typical of Penon. From the mid-bass onwards, the notes feel heavier in the Quattro than in the DTE, and the percussions gain more texture. There are some IEMs where the bass pushes into the mids and ends up ruining them, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

For the treble, logic would tell me that they are better in the DTE, with its 4 EST drivers, but the Quattro DD driver dedicated to treble is fantastic. The timbre of the instruments in the Quattro seems appropriate to me. I think that in the treble, both are on par. Maybe some more air, etherity in the DTE?

The Soundstage is wide in both, but better instrumental separation is noted in the DTE. The Quattro's sound is more "wall of sound", while the DTE's is more layered. The Quattro suffers a little more in complex passages with multiple instruments, but nothing excessive either, they behave quite well, just a little worse than the DTE.

As a summary, I don't consider one better than the other. Both for their price/performance are excellent options seeing how other brands have raised the price.
If you love percussive textures, more forward mids, thick notes and general organic musicality, the Quattro. The Penon Tuning has always been excellent for my taste, but with the Quattro they have nailed it. In exchange, the price to pay is that there is worse coherence in complicated passages in which there are many instruments playing at the same time. It's a "Wall of Sound" type of sound. Take into account the power of the source before taking them outside. With little power, you will lose dynamism and they will sound dull.

If you prefer the faster speed of the BA, focus a little more on the detail without losing the fun, a little more separation between instruments, or the more "layered" sound, the DTE. It also has customization switches to adjust it to your liking, and is less demanding on power from the source.. The price to pay are a more set back mids (nothing to object if you like V profiles), and notes that feel "thinner" as soon as you go from the mid-bass up.
Very well put! I agree with everything you said about the Quattro. But I am immensly impressed with the Quattro's technicalities and sense of articulation for an all DD set. Probably the best I've heard in that respect. Worth every penny, that's for sure!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #12,099 of 14,542

Although I haven't had either one of these for very long, this is exactly what I am hearing as well.
Fantastic job of describing these differences.
I really do love both of these IEMs!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #12,102 of 14,542
Liking the set taking awhile to wrap my head around this set but enjoying the ride so far.
20231227_090732.jpg

Attachments

• 20231227_090206.jpg
    20231227_090206.jpg
    876.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231227_084648.jpg
    20231227_084648.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231227_083828.jpg
    20231227_083828.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231227_084418.jpg
    20231227_084418.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231227_084103.jpg
    20231227_084103.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Dec 29, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #12,103 of 14,542
Arrived just in time for the weekend 😁

Edit: no new tips included for me but this thing is a beaty

Attachments

• IMG_20231229_115646.jpg
    IMG_20231229_115646.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231229_151342.jpg
    IMG_20231229_151342.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #12,104 of 14,542
1703866775239.png
1703866794542.png
1703866808022.png
1703866827341.png

The Penon Quattro arrive just before christmas and they are stock in my ears since then.

Smooth, so smoooooooth yet with an hefty dynamic, especially bass wise and this is what will hook attention and create WOW effect since its among most unique bass response ive heard yet. The sub bass especially is insane, rumble is stable, with long thick wide sustain which is vibrant and sub woofer like in a non thin boomy way, since we are in thick juicy bass territory.

Fans of tonal balance like Letshuoer S15 and Penon Dome-Globe-ISN H40-Neo5 will love those.

To be fair, these act more like a 3DDs IEM since the double front sided DD cover bass as a whole, it add tactile well rounded presence and a very good flexibility of impact, kick and bass line can cohabit in physical impact but its a warm bass, not an ultra textured one.

Mids are full sounding, sweet, lush and thick with very natural timbre and softed upper mids, its low pinna gain here, thus the warm bassy U shape tonal balance i perceive. Note weight are plenty, piano, saxo and both male and female vocal sound wonderfully wide and smooth. The layering is excellent too. some might find mids a bit lean or lacking presence boost agressivity, in that regard Serial is brighter.

Treble attrack less attention than bass and mids, but again i dont struggle to follow percussions even if Quattro dont put micro details upfront its extremely rich in effortless and understated sound info.

Those who seek full bodied laid back musicality will love those, i will do proper comparaison with Serial but its not the same at all, we have more slam and more natural smoother mids with Quattro. They complement well each other.

Since im a fan of warm IEM like BQEYZ Wind, S15, ISN H50-H40, Dome, Globe, Soundrhyme SR7, Oriveti OH700VB....this sure fit my musical and emotional response. Nothing sound like the Quattro, and just that is a Big WIN for me...their so much chifi IEMs sounding the same nowaday. Harman hater, this one is approved by Anti-Harmanophile.

Dec 29, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #12,105 of 14,542

The Penon Quattro arrive just before christmas and they are stock in my ears since then.

Smooth, so smoooooooth yet with an hefty dynamic, especially bass wise and this is what will hook attention and create WOW effect since its among most unique bass response ive heard yet. The sub bass especially is insane, rumble is stable, with long thick wide sustain which is vibrant and sub woofer like in a non thin boomy way, since we are in thick juicy bass territory.

Fans of tonal balance like Letshuoer S15 and Penon Dome-Globe-ISN H40-Neo5 will love those.

To be fair, these act more like a 3DDs IEM since the double front sided DD cover bass as a whole, it add tactile well rounded presence and a very good flexibility of impact, kick and bass line can cohabit in physical impact but its a warm bass, not an ultra textured one.

Mids are full sounding, sweet, lush and thick with very natural timbre and softed upper mids, its low pinna gain here, thus the warm bassy U shape tonal balance i perceive. Note weight are plenty, piano, saxo and both male and female vocal sound wonderfully wide and smooth. The layering is excellent too. some might find mids a bit lean or lacking presence boost agressivity, in that regard Serial is brighter.

Treble attrack less attention than bass and mids, but again i dont struggle to follow percussions even if Quattro dont put micro details upfront its extremely rich in effortless and understated sound info.

Those who seek full bodied laid back musicality will love those, i will do proper comparaison with Serial but its not the same at all, we have more slam and more natural smoother mids with Quattro. They complement well each other.

Since im a fan of warm IEM like BQEYZ Wind, S15, ISN H50-H40, Dome, Globe, Soundrhyme SR7, Oriveti OH700VB....this sure fit my musical and emotional response. Nothing sound like the Quattro, and just that is a Big WIN for me...their so much chifi IEMs sounding the same nowaday. Harman hater, this one is approved by Anti-Harmanophile.
Thanks for your insight.

I found the Dome not to my liking, as they sounded congested, too much midbass, and would like your opinion on how they compare.

Anyhow I'll have the Quattro waiting for me once I get back home.

Best

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back