The PENON official thread
Dec 21, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #11,971 of 13,957
Dec 21, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #11,972 of 13,957
YES!! Mine is still in transit. Hopefully it comes before Christmas... :-/

Any impressions so far??
Will post tomorrow after tonights session. But the very first impression ootb was already very good. Liked the overall timbre, bass is fantastic, full and fast, mids are at point and there is enough extension in the treble too. Technical wise better than I would have expected. Only weak point to my ears in the first two hours was some kind of slight roughness or a tiny lack of coherence - but that is often the case with new IEM ootb and no reason to worry in my book at that early stage...

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #11,973 of 13,957
Will post tomorrow after tonights session. But the very first impression ootb was already very good. Liked the overall timbre, bass is fantastic, full and fast, mids are at point and there is enough extension in the treble too. Technical wise better than I would have expected. Only weak point to my ears in the first two hours was some kind of slight roughness or a tiny lack of coherence - but that is often the case with new IEM ootb and no reason to worry in my book at that early stage...
Awesome! That's pretty consistent with what the other impressions are indicating. And yea I agree with you. I wouldn't worry about the coherence issue. That's what burn in is for. :wink:

Dec 22, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #11,976 of 13,957
How do you put the order? As I do not see the Quattro listed in their website.
Write Penon at their email address, penonaudio@hotmail.com, and tell them you would like to purchase the Quattro. As mentioned by others, they have low volume manufacturing right now, hence only selling via email until they ramp up.

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #11,977 of 13,957
Write Penon at their email address, penonaudio@hotmail.com, and tell them you would like to purchase the Quattro. As mentioned by others, they have low volume manufacturing right now, hence only selling via email until they ramp up.
I thought you were joking, but they really do have that hotmail.com email address on their website lol.

I usually use the web form on their Contact page https://penonaudio.com/contact or their other email address, support@penonaudio.com.

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #11,978 of 13,957
HOTMAIL?!

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #11,980 of 13,957
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #11,981 of 13,957
I still have a hotmail account. Nothing wrong with that you jerks!
personal? sure whatever. Business? insanity lol.

Dec 22, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #11,983 of 13,957
I'll try to compare them as soon as possible, but I couldn't spend much time yesterday. It hasn't gotten to 2 hours of listening. My daughter was ill, and I couldn't devote myself to my nightly listening time. What I can tell you is that it has already been buning for 4-5 hours, and I really liked what I was able to hear. Also keep in mind that there is always a tendency to overvalue the new, compared to the old (honeymoon time, they call it). Some points:
  • I believe not only in physical burning, but also in mental burning. It takes a while to get used to a new IEM.
  • Lately accustomed to more neutral IEMs. The bass seemed excessive to me at first. I left it burning for a couple of hours, and when I returned I had already lost that opinion.
  • The bass pushes hard when necessary, but is delicate on acoustic songs. It has great texture and control. It's faster than the Volt. I think the texture is also better than the DTE900, but I have to do A/B comparisons to corroborate it. I love the textures of Jazz percussion, and I would dare to say that it is the best I have heard.
  • The other thing that caught my attention is the great consistency between the drivers. In my Impact for example (BA+EST) I have always thought that if they had included a DD for bass, the coherence, cleanliness and separation between the instruments it has, would have been worse. In the Quattro, the feeling is that the filters between drivers are very well thought out, because the result is like being in front of a pair of multi-way speakers. Even better, because you have better spatial positioning.
  • And finally, the technicalities, immersion and musicality. There are details that make you think if you are really listening to DD drivers, but at the same time it makes you enjoy and immerse yourself in the music, without thinking about whether a certain instrument sounds good or bad, you realize that you are enjoying... and no... in my short listening, I have not been able to detect timbral errors in any instrument. I need to listen more to make a comparison of the soundstage and positioning, but it's pretty good.
In short, some very good first impressions, but they are very preliminary and I need to be able to listen to them more, much more. Maybe I don't even feel like taking them off to compare them with others. :gs1000smile:

exactly
Thanks for that first detailed report!

I hope your daughter recovers soon!

I'm looking for a natural tuning that doesn't push the mids in your face like most iems do lately, I've always wanted to go back to Penon since Volt was a crush that broke my heart, his bass couldn't be enough in any way for me and I had to get rid of it, I know it has sets with more bass and there is even the Turbo but I have always had a predilection for the Tribird and the DD bass in general.

If Quattro is able to somehow maintain the magic of the images from Penon and a decent sized soundstage I think I may try to go with the Quattro :)

Dec 22, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #11,984 of 13,957
Thanks for that first detailed report!

I hope your daughter recovers soon!

I'm looking for a natural tuning that doesn't push the mids in your face like most iems do lately, I've always wanted to go back to Penon since Volt was a crush that broke my heart, his bass couldn't be enough in any way for me and I had to get rid of it, I know it has sets with more bass and there is even the Turbo but I have always had a predilection for the Tribird and the DD bass in general.

If Quattro is able to somehow maintain the magic of the images from Penon and a decent sized soundstage I think I may try to go with the Quattro :)
Thank you so much. Nothing serious. A 48-hour stomach virus, but she had a very bad first night. Now she is better. I hope I'm not the next!

This weekend I will be able to dedicate myself more to it. My unit has little burning yet. No frequency curve has been released yet. I would dare say that it has more bass than the Serial, and a little more than the Volt. It would be on par with the DTE900 in configuration 11. Some of the colleagues who have spent more hours with them say that the bass becomes more nuanced with more hours of burning. But I think what is most striking is quality and control versus quantity. It's certainly not a basshead set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back