The PENON official thread
Dec 19, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #11,941 of 14,542
The Vortex is a great IEM. In my collection it is the single DD that I have kept. I have forgotten it a little compared to others, and my listening is limited. In the end, I tend to pick up the newests. I had been ignoring the Vortex, Serial or Volt for a long time, compared to the Impact or DTE900. If time allows, I'll rescue it to check the differences with the Quattro.
Very cool! Yea it’s really the only single DD I’ve kept as well it’s so competent for a single driver. Thanks for the soon to be comparison! :)

Dec 19, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #11,942 of 14,542
How does the Quattro compare to the Vortex in terms of bass, mids and treble and overall sound sig? Any impressions would greatly be appreciated! :)

The Vortex is a great IEM. In my collection it is the single DD that I have kept. I have forgotten it a little compared to others, and my listening is limited. In the end, I tend to pick up the newests. I had been ignoring the Vortex, Serial or Volt for a long time, compared to the Impact or DTE900. If time allows, I'll rescue it to check the differences with the Quattro.

The Vortex really is a fantastic little IEM, quite underrated. I can contribute my impressions as well. I recently spent several weeks with it almost exclusively (though after not listening to it for a long time as well) so all it took was a quick listen to confirm what I thought.

IMG_1532.jpeg

Vortex is brighter; has more overt lower treble energy. Quattro dials it down a little in comparison. It is still very much there, just potentially less fatiguing to those who may be sensitive to it (though I’m not).

Quattro has much more air and upper treble that contributes to a larger soundstage and more positional cues.

Quattro is also a big step up in resolution. Not that Vortex lacks it, only that Quattro is more resolving and textured and contains much more fine grained information.

Compared to Vortex, Quattro’s overall sound signature tilts towards the lower mids. Vocals and instruments have greater note weight as well as sonorority.

Vortex’s bass is textured, detailed and controlled and Quattro simply improves on that and brings it deeper into the sub bass.

I clearly remember, when it was new, how Vortex’s bass nailed this track effortlessly right from the get go. Straight out of the box, I listened to this and wondered if Quattro’s bass drivers didn’t quite have the definition to be convincing. Then I revisited it at some point past the 50-hour mark and there was no denying it this time - the Quattro just nailed the timbre.

Which brings me to this:

Listening to this on my recently received Quattro, just 20 minutes ago. Like this... crazy... without burning!

Ikr? That was me as well listening to Quattro right out of the box.

Also me, after 100 hours: holy schiiit, burn in is real…

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #11,943 of 14,542
The Vortex really is a fantastic little IEM, quite underrated. I can contribute my impressions as well. I recently spent several weeks with it almost exclusively (though after not listening to it for a long time as well) so all it took was a quick listen to confirm what I thought.

IMG_1532.jpeg

Vortex is brighter; has more overt lower treble energy. Quattro dials it down a little in comparison. It is still very much there, just potentially less fatiguing to those who may be sensitive to it (though I’m not).

Quattro has much more air and upper treble that contributes to a larger soundstage and more positional cues.

Quattro is also a big step up in resolution. Not that Vortex lacks it, only that Quattro is more resolving and textured and contains much more fine grained information.

Compared to Vortex, Quattro tilts towards the lower mids. Vocals and instruments have greater note weight as well as sonorority.

Vortex’s bass is textured, detailed and controlled and Quattro simply improves on that and brings it deeper into the sub bass.

I clearly remember, when it was new, how Vortex’s bass nailed this track effortlessly right from the get go. Straight out of the box, I listened to this and wondered if Quattro’s bass drivers didn’t quite have the definition to be convincing. Then I revisited it at some point past the 50-hour mark and there was no denying it this time - the Quattro just nailed the timbre.

Which brings me to this:

Ikr? That was me listening to Quattro right out of the box.

Also me, after 100 hours: holy schiiit, burn in is real…

Very awesome! Thank you so much for that detailed comparison! I'm actually listening to the Vortex right now as I'm writing this and Im picturing the differences you just listed in my head and it's pretty much got my mind blown. Lol. The vortex has wonderful resolution and texture and if you're saying that the Quattro's further improve on this then I don't know what else to say... I might as well sell everything I have once i get the quattro's! Haha. Sooooo excited! Thanks again

Dec 19, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #11,944 of 14,542
Very awesome! Thank you so much for that detailed comparison! I'm actually listening to the Vortex right now as I'm writing this and Im picturing the differences you just listed in my head and it's pretty much got my mind blown. Lol. The vortex has wonderful resolution and texture and if you're saying that the Quattro's further improve on this then I don't know what else to say... I might as well sell everything I have once i get the quattro's! Haha. Sooooo excited! Thanks again

If you do, I can’t wait for your impressions when you receive the Quattro. But seriously, enjoy the Vortex as long as you can. It’s not talked about enough here and I rediscovered it for myself only quite recently and I still love it.

Dec 19, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #11,945 of 14,542
If you do, I can’t wait for your impressions when you receive the Quattro. But seriously, enjoy the Vortex as long as you can. It’s not talked about enough here and I rediscovered it for myself only quite recently and I still love it.
Most certainly! I will definitely enjoy the vortex until they fall apart on me. 😂 But once I get the Quattro's, I'm probably gonna listen to it out of the box for a while and then start the burn in process. I want to hear the sound progression from start to finish. I know the Serials took a solid 150+ hrs to fully burn in. So I'm curious how much time the Quattro's need. I know there's a substantial difference at the 100hr mark, but curious to see how much better it can get after that. :)

And for sure! I will definitely post my impressions.

Dec 19, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #11,948 of 14,542

How do you feel about the bass of the Quattro vs. DTE900?

Dec 19, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #11,949 of 14,542
Drum roll, please!

1219231924.jpg

Man, these are really good.
Right out of the box, I mean.
Can't even imagine Quattro after burn-in.
Back to heavenly music time.
:)

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #11,950 of 14,542
Bought a couple of sets (3 pairs per set) of the Penon Orange and Penon Black eartips. The Orange are my favourite tips, not tried the black ones though. The XL are 15.5mm, good for big ear channels. The Orange are very malleable yet keep their dome shape in ear, giving good bass resonance. Good in ear friction too. Extremely good tips.

Dec 20, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #11,951 of 14,542
Seeing how good the Quattro is from multiple impressions now, would it be fair to compare it to other higher priced multi DD setups like Trifecta or Monachaa? Or is there no comparison due to the price gap?

Dec 20, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #11,952 of 14,542
Do the new orange and black tips come with Quattro? If not, I may snag a pair. I use the tips that came with Neo 5 on frikking everything at some point…. Currently the best fit and sound for my QuietSea.

Dec 20, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #11,953 of 14,542
Also if anyone can A/B Neo 5 and Quattro I would be much appreciative.

Dec 20, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #11,955 of 14,542
Is the Quattro already available for sale, looked over the weekend at Penon site and did not find it???
I'm pretty sure everyone that has it so far has messaged Penon directly and asked. Apparently driver matching / sourcing the DDs is time consuming so it's taking longer for full release on the website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back