The PENON official thread
Dec 12, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #11,821 of 14,142
Reading that just sent chills down my spine. Ex's name was Carin.
Whoa! Sorry, my dude.
Didn't mean to go there, obviously.
Sending some positive vibes your direction...

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #11,823 of 14,142
I have mixed feelings about earhooks.

If it's a thicker cable, earhooks help them stay on my ears as long as the loop isn't too large. Large looped earhooks seem to just fall off the side of my ears if I don't use a chin cinch to keep them closer behind my ears. I like EA cable earhooks though. They have a tighter bend so they're a good fit for my ears.

However, if it's a limp noodle cable, there's no need for earhooks. I like them to just drape down behind my ears.

Dec 12, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #11,824 of 14,142
OK just finished a 3 hour session with Quattro. I kind of feel like I'm ready to give my first impressions.

I immediately switched out the stock cable for the Gladiator "Aes Harmony" UP-OCC SPC cable, so I'm not sure how they sound with stock cable. Stock cable looks really nice, feels very good, and should sound good too, but I went with a cable I know is very revealing and transparent, and is very comfortable. I noticed the 2-pin sockets of the Quattro gripped onto the stock cable like a vice, so it was pretty difficult getting it off of the Quattro, not bend or break anything, and switch to the Aes Harmony.

I'm currently using Softears Ultra Clear eartips for my first listening session with the Quattro. Very comfortable, no fit or seal issues so far. Grips my ears tight with no pressure or discomfort at all in all 3 hours.

Need to be honest, I didn't love the Quattro out of the box like I loved the sound of 10th AE and NEO 5 out of the box. It was sibilant with some tracks and I felt the need to turn the volume down. But now, sibilance is tamed with a bit of burn in, maybe both brain burn in and/or drivers burn in. KPop female vocals isn't as spicy and sharp, but still need to watch the volume level and not turn it up too high.

What surprised me most with the Quattro is how resolving, detailed, and technical it is. I was expecting the Quattro to sound thick, warm, analogue-sounding, smooth, with bass bordering on basshead. This thing is a technical beast at this price point and much higher. Soundstage, imaging, and microdetails are all spectacular. Great timbre too. Instruments sound so realistic and tonally correct. The DDs are surprisingly agile and fast. Complex tracks are easily handled by these drivers. Rock, classical, orchestral, jazz, soundtracks, etc. sound absolutely amazing with the Quattro.

What I would've liked is more bass slam, rumble, and extension. Don't get me wrong, the bass is high quality and very controlled, even without full burn in. But bass quantity is just not at the level I was expecting with all of these DDs working together. Definitely not as impactful, rumbly, or visceral as 10th AE or Monarch MKIII. Satisfying enough, but could be better. I think if it had more bass, it could overwhelm the rest of the frequencies and not sound as clean, transparent, detailed, and revealing.

Alright, taking a break and going to let these burn in overnight. Quattro is 100% worth the purchase and punches way above its price. Can't wait to hear it after extensive burn in and maybe some more cable/eartip rolling. I'm happy with how it sounds now but maybe it could get better, who knows.

Great job Penon. Another awesome IEM release!

Penon Quattro-4.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #11,825 of 14,142
What surprised me most with the Quattro is how resolving, detailed, and technical it is. I was expecting the Quattro to sound thick, warm, analogue-sounding, smooth, with bass bordering on basshead. This thing is a technical beast at this price point and much higher. Soundstage, imaging, and microdetails are all spectacular. Great timbre too. Instruments sound so realistic and tonally correct. The DDs are surprisingly agile and fast. Complex tracks are easily handled by these drivers. Rock, classical, orchestral, jazz, soundtracks, etc. sound absolutely amazing with the Quattro.
Would you describe it as a reference sound with dd timbre?

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #11,826 of 14,142
Would you describe it as a reference sound with dd timbre?
I would describe it as sounding really, really good. :smile:

"Reference" can be subjective. Some consider neutral as "reference." Personally, I think it's not boring enough to be considered reference.

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #11,827 of 14,142
I would describe it as sounding really, really good. :smile:

"Reference" can be subjective. Some consider neutral as "reference." Personally, I think it's not boring enough to be considered reference.
Touche, I would consider reference as balanced and well-extended slightly warm tone with accurate/varied timbre, fluid/liquid dynamics, detail, and resolution, images aren't stretched (exaggerated width or height in ss), actual depth to the ss with good time domain (ie triangles from 3ft away should sound 3ft away at least).

Dec 13, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #11,828 of 14,142

That's the Xuelin Clear - a tiny 157 gram player I've just reviewed, and I'm a bit shocked at how good it sounds. You're invited to discover why here. :smiley:

Dec 13, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #11,829 of 14,142
OK just finished a 3 hour session with Quattro. I kind of feel like I'm ready to give my first impressions.

I immediately switched out the stock cable for the Gladiator "Aes Harmony" UP-OCC SPC cable, so I'm not sure how they sound with stock cable. Stock cable looks really nice, feels very good, and should sound good too, but I went with a cable I know is very revealing and transparent, and is very comfortable. I noticed the 2-pin sockets of the Quattro gripped onto the stock cable like a vice, so it was pretty difficult getting it off of the Quattro, not bend or break anything, and switch to the Aes Harmony.

I'm currently using Softears Ultra Clear eartips for my first listening session with the Quattro. Very comfortable, no fit or seal issues so far. Grips my ears tight with no pressure or discomfort at all in all 3 hours.

Need to be honest, I didn't love the Quattro out of the box like I loved the sound of 10th AE and NEO 5 out of the box. It was sibilant with some tracks and I felt the need to turn the volume down. But now, sibilance is tamed with a bit of burn in, maybe both brain burn in and/or drivers burn in. KPop female vocals isn't as spicy and sharp, but still need to watch the volume level and not turn it up too high.

What I would've liked is more bass slam, rumble, and extension. Don't get me wrong, the bass is high quality and very controlled, even without full burn in. But bass quantity is just not at the level I was expecting with all of these DDs working together. Definitely not as impactful, rumbly, or visceral as 10th AE or Monarch MKIII. Satisfying enough, but could be better. I think if it had more bass, it could overwhelm the rest of the frequencies and not sound as clean, transparent, detailed, and revealing.

Alright, taking a break and going to let these burn in overnight. Quattro is 100% worth the purchase and punches way above its price. Can't wait to hear it after extensive burn in and maybe some more cable/eartip rolling. I'm happy with how it sounds now but maybe it could get better, who knows.

Great job Penon. Another awesome IEM release!

Penon Quattro-4.jpg
Nice first impressions. I think the aspect I enjoy the most out of the Quattros is their extremely natural tonal character.

Initially I kinda felt the same about the bass end. It is the type of bass that is sneaky good. It doesnt punch you in the face but has it where it counts. You will understand the more time you get with it.

Dec 13, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #11,830 of 14,142
Nice first impressions. I think the aspect I enjoy the most out of the Quattros is their extremely natural tonal character.

Initially I kinda felt the same about the bass end. It is the type of bass that is sneaky good. It doesnt punch you in the face but has it where it counts. You will understand the more time you get with it.
Yes, Quattro's timbre is so damn good. Just really natural-sounding and well-balanced.

Bass is quality for sure. I love bass (used to play electric bass), so I usually want more of it. Like I said, Quattro has enough bass for what they tuned the IEM to be (clean, technical, precise, balanced, spacious, etc.), but I just wish there's a bit more bass quantity, rumble, and punch. I'm satisfied with Quattro's bass though. Pop, R&B, rap, EDM, and hip hop sound good with Quattro but I wouldn't pick it first out of my collection of IEMs to listen to those genres. Then again, I have some heavy hitter IEMs for bass and Quattro isn't tuned to excel at those genres.

After an 8+ hours burn in and 5+ hours of listening, Quattro sounds even more organic and a bit smoother. Loving it now. :L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #11,831 of 14,142
Yes, Quattro's timbre is so damn good. Just really natural-sounding and well-balanced.

Bass is quality for sure. I love bass (used to play electric bass), so I usually want more of it. Like I said, Quattro has enough bass for what they tuned the IEM to be (clean, technical, precise, balanced, spacious, etc.), but I just wish there's a bit more bass quantity, rumble, and punch. I'm satisfied with Quattro's bass though. Pop, R&B, rap, EDM, and hip hop sound good with Quattro but I wouldn't pick it first out of my collection of IEMs to listen to those genres. Then again, I have some heavy hitter IEMs for bass and Quattro isn't tuned to excel at those genres.

After an 8+ hours burn in and 5+ hours of listening, Quattro sounds even more organic and a bit smoother. Loving it now. :L3000:
I found that the Serial took ages to burn in and produce it's fruits. But when it did the fruits were the tastiest ever. It will be a shame that unless there is a Quattro review tour, I will never get a a chance to listen to the Quattro. In a way though it doesn't matter, because the 10th Anniversary, my particular copy, is the end game for me. Having listened to so many brands of IEMs, I can honestly say Penon are the magical masters and have the magic tuning dust. It's such a shame that so few of us on this Penon thread get a chance to hear many of the line up. Such a shame as Penon, as far as I know, don't have a review tour. For us poorer elders, Penon leave a lot to be desired, yet still, out of honesty I enjoy their ISN and Penon brands better than any other....and they do have mostly good ethics.

Dec 13, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #11,832 of 14,142
Dec 13, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #11,833 of 14,142
Dec 13, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #11,834 of 14,142
Dec 13, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #11,835 of 14,142
You guys don't ask for earhooks on your cables

I ask for my cables to be made without. Partly because earhooks are seldom comfortable for me, but also for maximum versatility, so that I can also use them with IEMs that are worn straight down.

But yes, you can ask for them either way and Penon will customise them accordingly. I even had my Flow made without earhooks.

Speaking of Serial, it's on sale right now on Ali.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804019026146.html

Penon Serial 12-23 AE Sale.jpg

Dang, that’s a really good price. Not available to me (not that I need another Serial) but those of you who can see it should go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back