The PENON official thread
Nov 1, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #1,066 of 13,712
Tempting. I've heard Andromeda numerous times and your impression on the Volt makes me curious. What do you say is or are the strengths of Volt versus Andromeda?
It’s personal preference of course but I feel that Volt sounds more natural than the Andro. The bass also extends more but it’s expected since its DD. Vocals are definitely better on the Volt. When it comes to highs, I think Andro’s are great but estats give the Volt a leg up, not by a huge margin though. They are both good for extended listening sessions. Andro’s are better for smaller ears though, Volts being on the medium to large size. I also observed that Volts perform better with more power. Volt sounds fuller and smoother with smsl sp200 compared to my SP1000m.

Nov 1, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #1,067 of 13,712
I've had mine for about a week now so time for some quick impressions.

The Volt is definitely a "massage your ears" type of iem that's for sure @noknok23! Bass is not clinical to me at all. The overall tuning is really anchored by the exquisite low end and euphoric midrange. Such a full sounding, organic iem that absolutely sounds fantastic and is super engaging for rock music and really anything with vocals.

I loved the Orb, but felt the bass was a bit too prominent and hefty in relation to the upper mids and treble, which I found to be a bit too muted and recessed in comparison. In my opinion, this was fixed with the Volt. Bass to me sounds tighter, a bit more grounded and not quite as slow and loose. Could be just the fact that the overall tuning is more balanced, with more prominence in the treble without ever becoming harsh or fatiguing at all. Treble is smooooooth to my ears, but not missing or too darkly tuned like the Roland. Mids are definitely the star of the show, but you already knew that. For vocals, I'm not sure I've heard a better iem.

There has to be some criticism, right? Well, the euphoric, organic fullness of the mids anchored by the weighty low end does give the impression of lack of space and separation between instruments, especially when compared to your hyper detailed, more clinically tuned iems. It is definitely a trade-off for sure and a compromise I'm willing to make. I'm not saying the Volt sound congested at all, as the details, instrument separation, and sense of space is there, it's just not the focus. The Volt just seems to emphasis the organic, emotional side of music as a whole rather than throwing out all these details for you to dissect.

However, If you want to focus on the details you can, as they are there, but the Volt does not force you to focus on them if you don't want to because the tuning is just so engaging. This is a hell of an attribute to have in an iem. This is the type of iem that makes you smile, tap you toes, and enjoy the music rather than force you to focus on details, which ultimately is what I am after.
I've had them for a couple of weeks and the worst thing I can say about them is they may occasionally be a bit too polite. Sometimes I choose my fh7 or k10u for grunge or rock or something really high energy. Still, these are the closest to a goldilocks iem I have and they sound good from all my sources. I know there isn't much to go on with these, and I'm grateful to @Dsnuts and @audio123 because they were completely on point with this set. I'm not great at reviews., but I'm happy to answer questions if you have them.

This is very informative. Reason I ask is because I listen to a lot of rock and metal. Some of it slow and melodic, and some of it fast. I much prefer an organic sound to a clinical sound. So in your opinion would these work well?
I have other sets I would use when listening to stuff like the occasional acoustic guitar or classical tracks.
So these would be mostly for grunge, post rock, metal, sludge, doom, alt. rock, classic rock. And sometimes at loud volumes. (Like to rock out for certain times)
Are these going to get me there or should I be looking at something else?
Thanks.

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #1,069 of 13,712
Anyone within driving distance of Dayton, OH interested in a good deal on a Penon Volt? Mine is like new. With box, tips, cable, everything. I would love to avoid the hassle of shipping. (We can do safe transaction outside on deck, masked)

It's a great IEM, but I have tons, some more expensive (I'm looking at you, Campfire Audio and 64Audio). I'm trying to fund a drone purchase.

Anyway, I'll probably end up listing it in the classifieds here but I thought I'd give this a chance in this forum.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #1,072 of 13,712
So today something very nice came in the Orb is in the house!

IMG_0754.jpg

I spent some time admiring the internals, great crafsmanship and superb transparent shells :heart_eyes:

I'll need to burn it in and spend some time for impressions but right out of the box I like what I am hearing!

I also received the OSG cable and call me impressed the build is superb...

David @ iem.reviews (@iem.reviews) • Photos et vidéos Instagram 2020-11-04 12-48-07.png

Exciting times :)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #1,073 of 13,712
Comparison please Volt vs LZ A7,
there is a discount on A7,
or should I save some more for the Volt ?

Nov 5, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #1,075 of 13,712
Set the Orb to burn in when I didn't listen to it and already clocked 8 hours on it so first impressions...

The Orb features powerful and physical yet controlled and refined bass, full mids with good bite, energetic and well extended treble. The stage has very good width and depth but more impressive is its height which is excellent, with a very coherent image. Bass is clearly an outstanding feature of the Orb and is nothing short of impressive : it's a powerful bass but strikes a rare balance of power, control, punch and rich textures. The Orb mids are full bodied but with good bite, with clear vocals that are forwardly positioned. It's an engaging and lively midrange with good balance and good instrument timbre. The Orb treble is very balanced with slight lower treble emphasis. It's an exciting treble but not a fatiguing one either.

The Orb is a very engaging listen, a clearly fun IEM built on solid technical foundations, my kind of IEM definitely a breeze of a review such fun to listen to!
I plan on full in depth comparison with both ISN H40 and Dunu DK-2001 as well... stay tuned!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #1,076 of 13,712
Set the Orb to burn in when I didn't listen to it and already clocked 8 hours on it so first impressions...

The Orb features powerful and physical yet controlled and refined bass, full mids with good bite, energetic and well extended treble. The stage has very good width and depth but more impressive is its height which is excellent, with a very coherent image. Bass is clearly an outstanding feature of the Orb and is nothing short of impressive : it's a powerful bass but strikes a rare balance of power, control, punch and rich textures. The Orb mids are full bodied but with good bite, with clear vocals that are forwardly positioned. It's an engaging and lively midrange with good balance and good instrument timbre. The Orb treble is very balanced with slight lower treble emphasis. It's an exciting treble but not a fatiguing one either.

The Orb is a very engaging listen, a clearly fun IEM built on solid technical foundations, my kind of IEM definitely a breeze of a review such fun to listen to!
I plan on full in depth comparison with both ISN H40 and Dunu DK-2001 as well... stay tuned!
I am eagerly waiting for your detailed comparison with H40 and 2001 😊

Nov 5, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #1,077 of 13,712
I'm on the verge of making a choice of two similar priced IEM's, with totally different driver setups. Both I trust sound good because so many people with good ears recommend both. I'm sure some of you have both. If you can tell me the better buy, sound, between the Penon Orb and the LZ A7? Thanks in advance.

Nov 7, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #1,078 of 13,712
So here is my Orb review : https://iem.reviews/2020/11/06/penon-orb-singing-angel/ including in depth comparison to Dunu DK-2001 and ISN H40
Hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Let me say I spent much more time on the bass section for this review than any review I have done for a while, as it’s so enjoyable and impressive. Regardless of price point the Orb is simply one of the best bass around, please Penon keep the recipe for future IEMs as it’s really something special!!!

It’s really hard to believe that it’s only Penon second IEM after the Sphere given both the maturity of its tuning and the price to performance ratio reached by the Orb. The Orb is up there with the best in the segment namely ISN H40 and Dunu DK-2001 which is no small feat in my opinion. If you’re looking for an IEM with of the very best bass, a full yet clear articulate midrange and refined treble then it’s hard not to recommend the Orb as one of the very best value for money on the market! A no brainer in my opinion. If you're a basshead the H40 might suit you best and if you’re looking for a more relaxed listen then the DK-2001 should be on your list.

About the title
The title was inspired from a Shakespeare quote from the Merchant of Venice : "There's not the smallest orb which thou behold'st But in his motion like an angel sings"

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #1,079 of 13,712
So here is my Orb review : https://iem.reviews/2020/11/06/penon-orb-singing-angel/ including in depth comparison to Dunu DK-2001 and ISN H40
Hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed writing it!

It’s really hard to believe that it’s only Penon second IEM after the Sphere given both the maturity of its tuning and the price to performance ratio reached by the Orb. The Orb is up there with the best in the segment namely ISN H40 and Dunu DK-2001 which is no small feat in my opinion. If you’re looking for an IEM with of the very best bass, a full yet clear articulate midrange and refined treble then it’s hard not to recommend the Orb as one of the very best value for money on the market! A no brainer in my opinion. If bass presence is your priority then the H40 might suit you best and if you’re looking for a more relaxed listen then the DK-2001 should be on your list.

About the title
The title was inspired from a Shakespeare quote from the Merchant of Venice : "There's not the smallest orb which thou behold'st But in his motion like an angel sings"
I agree with your thoughts on the soundstage,great mids,imaging and great bass of the Orb. But I can't believe you described the treble as energetic, I am sensitive to treble and I like warmer signatures but even for me it lacks treble energy. Also I don't find it more resolving than the H40, if anything I wish it was a bit more resolving. But It's a great IEM nonetheless.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #1,080 of 13,712
I agree with your thoughts on the soundstage,great mids,imaging and great bass of the Orb. But I can't believe you described the treble as energetic, I am sensitive to treble and I like warmer signatures but even for me it lacks treble energy. Also I don't find it more resolving than the H40, if anything I wish it was a bit more resolving. But It's a great IEM nonetheless.

Which source do you use?

DX160 which I mostly used for the review sure brings lower treble energy to the Orb, PAW S1 a little less so but there is good treble energy. Energetic doesn't mean hot or agressive it's done right on the Orb so it remains safe. H40 is a bit more energetic there in the lower treble but the Orb is clearly more extended and resolving to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back