The PENON official thread
Jul 31, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #5,356 of 13,788
If your looking for a great cable at a better value than the shilled penon try a Hakugei Big Rice for 1/3 the price.

Very flexable, but great connections and sounds great.

C$ 45.05 35%OFF | HAKUGEI Rice Litz 6N OCC Nomocrystalline Copper Hifi Earphone Upgrade Cable 3.5 2.5 4.4 MMCX 0.78 QDC PIN Wire Earphones Cable
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrebghU

Looks a nice cable and a brand I've often looked at on AE.

What Penon cables have you tried in comparison? OSG will be my first, and as part of some general cable exploration. Curious to hear how the above compares in your experience, especially as you've said about shilling which suggests maybe a not so good experience!

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #5,357 of 13,788
If your looking for a great cable at a better value than the shilled penon try a Hakugei Big Rice for 1/3 the price.

Very flexable, but great connections and sounds great.

C$ 45.05 35%OFF | HAKUGEI Rice Litz 6N OCC Nomocrystalline Copper Hifi Earphone Upgrade Cable 3.5 2.5 4.4 MMCX 0.78 QDC PIN Wire Earphones Cable
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrebghU
Ya but how does it sound on the Vortex?

By the way if you haven't checked this is the Penon thread. You would expect Penon stuff on the Penon thread I am just saying. I actually test these cables on the earphones folks are mentioning here. I am sure your cable works great but how does it sound on the Vortex that would be of some great help.

There are numerous such cables on the XinHS site if we are going to go down that road and the entire cheap cable thread is based on such cables which I started. I can post about a dozen or so comparable cables, But again this is the Penon thread.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #5,358 of 13,788
I love my Vortex but to mention it and Thunder in the same breath is quite something… I’m all ears :)

Vortex and Moonlight make a very complementary pair, I find - almost yin & yang with the Vortex’s more vivid dynamism and the Moonlight’s calmer, more neutral presentation. Between the two of them, they have edged out most of my other IEMs for ear time ever since they arrived.

Hey there -- Yeah, I do find I can mention the Vortex in same breath as the Thunder. Crazy that at $219 I can enjoy the Vortex right after listening to the Thunder. To my ears, they each do some things better than the other. Actually, if I could just get the bigger sense of space (more height especially) in the Vortex, I'd be done! I think the Vortex has better timbre (Thunder can seem just a tad plasticky sounding when comparing back to back), and a more physical, tactile, bass presence. Thunder breathes more, with bigger feeling of space, and the highs shimmer over a wider area as a result.

For me, the Moonlight is very similar to the Vortex. But it has bigger mid-bass (never encroaching on mids though), and again a slightly larger sense of space (but still doesn't possess the 3D height that the Thunder does). However, I feel the midrange is not as fleshed out and full as on the Vortex, and it's scooped out some too. The Vortex seems more coherent and connected.

Again, I am truly enamored with that little bargain of a blue gem!

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #5,359 of 13,788
My take on cables as I own many are that they make a very slight difference in sound between one pure copper to another for me. Additionally adding a mixed element in fact does change the signature slightly, silver brighter and gold darker/warmer .

The shilling of cables will never end as long as influencers are getting freebies and paid to sell / promote cables. If your looking for cables I would try the mid prices cables thread.
My two pence ✌️

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #5,360 of 13,788
I have a hard time paying anything over $200 for a cable. I have a ddHifi one which has swappable plugs which I paid $249 for, but I really enjoy the ergonomics of it as much as any perceived sound improvement. It's supple, and so convenient to be able to use it with any plug size. Currently it's on the Aroma thunder. Sorry for heading OT....

Jul 31, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #5,361 of 13,788
I've heard mostly subtle differences with cables, the most obvious though was with Serial when I went from stock to the Han Sound Nyx - that was night and day, the mids felt sucked out on stock and came alive with Nyx which is about a $150 cable.

A recent delivery is the below from Hiclass on AE, a nice looking cable and very well made - worked out around $120 or so during the last AE sale. I can't comment on any sonic changes as I've never used the stock cable.

20220729_143404.jpg

Jul 31, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #5,362 of 13,788
Just whipped the Globe out while writing the Vortex review. I think I've already mentioned it, but even though the Vortex offers tremendous refinement the Globe still has a je ne sais quoi. Listening with a wide grin :)!

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #5,363 of 13,788
The Volt is quite different to IEMs that have checked the most of my preferences lately… but different in a good way. I haven’t been this excited for a chance to listen in a long time, and to anything that comes on shuffle, no need to skip certain styles or recordings.

All details and technical talk aside, these sound great. I love it.

I’ll have to follow up properly later, but I’m just very happy indeed. Smiling a lot, and being moved by music a lot. My head/feet have been bobbing/tapping too.

Hugely tip dependent. The stock double flange wide bore tips actually remind me a lot of the Vortex’s main character. On first listen ePro Horn tips gave a bit too thick of a low end for me. I’ve more or less settled on the included blue core silicone tips. Superbly balanced. Never dull, never thin, never harsh, but everything comes through with plenty of space and weight. Unlike most sets, I think all the different tip profiles have been good. Take them as dip-switches between distinct but all even-charactered tunings.

I’ll see if I can swing finances to keep these and a semi decent source, because my gut feeling is that I can end on these. There, now I’ve probably gone too far for first day impressions… I meant to stop a couple paragraphs back.

These are a step away from Harman but in such a good way. What’s the Harman that? Such great decisions went into this tuning. It’s fascinating to experience it.

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #5,364 of 13,788
The Volt is quite different to IEMs that have checked the most of my preferences lately… but different in a good way. I haven’t been this excited for a chance to listen in a long time, and to anything that comes on shuffle, no need to skip certain styles or recordings.

I’ll have to follow up properly later, but I’m just very happy indeed. Smiling a lot, and being moved by music a lot. My head/feet have been bobbing/tapping too.

Hugely tip dependent. The stock double flange wide bore tips actually remind me a lot of the Vortex’s main character. On first listen ePro Horn tips gave a bit too thick of a low end for me. I’ve more or less settled on the included blue core silicone tips. Superbly balanced. Never dull, never thin, never harsh, but everything comes through with plenty of space and weight. Unlike most sets, I think all the different tip profiles have been good. Take them as dip-switches between distinct but all even-charactered tunings.

I’ll see if I can swing finances to keep these and a semi decent source, because my gut feeling is that I can end on these. There, now I’ve probably gone too far for first day impressions… I meant to stop a couple paragraphs back.

These are a step away from Harman but in such a good way. What’s the Harman that? Such great decisions went into this tuning. It’s fascinating to experience it.
How do they compare to the Up and Serial?

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #5,365 of 13,788
I've heard mostly subtle differences with cables, the most obvious though was with Serial when I went from stock to the Han Sound Nyx - that was night and day, the mids felt sucked out on stock and came alive with Nyx which is about a $150 cable.

A recent delivery is the below from Hiclass on AE, a nice looking cable and very well made - worked out around $120 or so during the last AE sale. I can't comment on any sonic changes as I've never used the stock cable.

20220729_143404.jpg
oooh, I like this cable with the Vortex.

Aug 1, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #5,366 of 13,788

So happy for you the beast Penon! 😃

Aug 1, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #5,367 of 13,788
How do they compare to the Up and Serial?
I’ve only been listening to the Volts since the mail came today, I’ll have to do some cross listening soon. A lot is similar as far as checklists go - good male and female vocals, impact in mid bass, well extended sub bass, I can’t speak well to treble but it’s at least on the same level as the Up. And yet it doesn’t sound like another iteration, or better/worse by degrees. Imaging separation and stage are very involving but not in a “hey check this Dolby surround sound feature” kind of way. Everything just gets it’s own spot and space. Something about the mids just really grabs me emotionally, whether strings in Zimmer’s Harvey Two Face, wind instruments in Vulfpeck’s The Sweet Science, Caroline Polachek’s voice in Look At Me Now, or really all sorts of mids. I would have used to have said that I was a mids focused listener, more recently bass and sub bass are what I listen for. I think I drifted from a mids focus because the sets that did that best didn’t extend well into sub bass or have enough mid bass impact, or staged the vocals and other mids far too intimately, and other shortfalls. But mids done very well can move me more than other areas, so to have that but also excellent bass, without them infringing on each other…

Like I said I can’t comment well on treble, I can just say it seems at least as much as the Up and isn’t notably recessed - but probably isn’t enough for a treble focused listener. This is the best EST implementation I’ve heard yet though.

I am track skipping less than I would with the Serial or Up, and volume creeping less too.

Edit: I wonder how much of our preferences come from different childhood experiences. Falling by the Offspring just came on and suddenly I’m 10 again. For me that can make or break a set - I only have Smash, Americana, and Ixnay on the Hombre in my collection, but whenever they come on shuffle, if a set plays The Offspring back at all harsh or thin, it’s history.

Through the Volt just now it’s thick and meaty, resonant. What expectations am I trying to meet here? Sharing the headphones, a cup each, with friends in 5th grade on the cassette player meant for language learning, listening repeatedly to a friend’s rip of Americana. So that band has always been emotionally set as warm and analogue to me ever since.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #5,368 of 13,788
@rattlingblanketwoman -- Yep Volts are great. Super vocals, well-extended and well-controlled bass, lots of treble energy and detail without coming across sharp or sibilant.

Agree that they handle all genres well. Excellent pairing with my FiiO M15.

Between my iBasso IT07s and my Volts, I've absolutely reached my end-game for IEMs.

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #5,369 of 13,788
I’ve only been listening to the Volts since the mail came today, I’ll have to do some cross listening soon. A lot is similar as far as checklists go - good male and female vocals, impact in mid bass, well extended sub bass, I can’t speak well to treble but it’s at least on the same level as the Up. And yet it doesn’t sound like another iteration, or better/worse by degrees. Imaging separation and stage are very involving but not in a “hey check this Dolby surround sound feature” kind of way. Everything just gets it’s own spot and space. Something about the mids just really grabs me emotionally, whether strings in Zimmer’s Harvey Two Face, wind instruments in Vulfpeck’s The Sweet Science, Caroline Polachek’s voice in Look At Me Now, or really all sorts of mids. I would have used to have said that I was a mids focused listener, more recently bass and sub bass are what I listen for. I think I drifted from a mids focus because the sets that did that best didn’t extend well into sub bass or have enough mid bass impact, or staged the vocals and other mids far too intimately, and other shortfalls. But mids done very well can move me more than other areas, so to have that but also excellent bass, without them infringing on each other…

Like I said I can’t comment well on treble, I can just say it seems at least as much as the Up and isn’t notably recessed - but probably isn’t enough for a treble focused listener. This is the best EST implementation I’ve heard yet though.

I am track skipping less than I would with the Serial or Up, and volume creeping less too.

Edit: I wonder how much of our preferences come from different childhood experiences. Falling by the Offspring just came on and suddenly I’m 10 again. For me that can make or break a set - I only have Smash, Americana, and Ixnay on the Hombre in my collection, but whenever they come on shuffle, if a set plays The Offspring back at all harsh or thin, it’s history.

Through the Volt just now it’s thick and meaty, resonant. What expectations am I trying to meet here? Sharing the headphones, a cup each, with friends in 5th grade on the cassette player meant for language learning, listening repeatedly to a friend’s rip of Americana. So that band has always been emotionally set as warm and analogue to me ever since.
Hi.

Nice to read your impressions with the Volts. Around here they say that ESTs need hundreds of hours of burning to show their full potential. Mine are second hand (I think third), and they came with many hours.

I also thought of stopping there. Between the Volt and the Serial I was already convinced that I had achieved a sound that I liked and was excited about, and I could focus my expenses from this hobby on other things (sources or desktop headphones). Although I reserved some money for the announced new single DD by Penon (later Vortex). Then came the first impressions of the Yanyin Moonlight, and I couldn't resist. Now, with both of them, I am convinced to stop in the world of IEMs and enjoy the music. Both are similar, and different at the same time. They complement each other, and both put a big smile on my face. From time to time I keep taking out the Serials. Sometimes I let myself go and enjoy myself, and other times I detect differences, nuances between listening same songs with the different IEMs, and I have a great time.

PS: The Vortex are still in a customs warehouse waiting for my claims to rescue them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back