The PENON official thread
Jul 8, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #5,206 of 13,726
The Serial and the Vortex are definitely brothers from the same mother. I think the main difference is that while tuning and balancing seem similar initially there are a few tuning aspects of both IEMs that make them a bit different. Serials are more broader in scope and how it is tuned, they are a bit more like an open can due to it being more neutral in its lower mids with its bass emphasis more in the sub bass, its mids also sound a touch more laid-back vs the Vortex which is tuned to be more frontal vs how the Serial sounds.

The Vortex in contrast sound presents like a closed can and how closed cans present sound. Serials happen to have a bit wider stage but I feel it is the Vortex that sound more frontal a bit more exciting due to them having a touch more upper mids emphasis a bit more in the lower mids and mid bass vs the Serials. Vortex sounds like it has more height to its sound vs the serial which sounds a bit more laid back and broader in its presentation. Of course when you amp the Serial they become a bit like what the Vortex sounds like. And when you use a silver-based cable on the Vortex it starts to take on a bit more of the Serial sound profile.

Serials sounds a touch more smoother in tonal character vs a bit more precise and a touch cleaner sounding Vortex. Both sets are awesome at a natural timbre and excel when amped. I can see how some might like one more vs the other depending on how you like your sounds but I think they sound different enough to have both. Why not. Plus both sets with optimized cables sound way better than their prices would indicate. Vortex might be the better value out of the two sets due to it being cheaper but the Serial has its charms here as well especially if you like your bass more leaning sub bass vs mid bass. Both sets do bass well actually but focused a bit differently.

The treble aspect for both sets are tuned similarly but it is the vortex that sounds a touch more emphasized in its lower treble emphasis vs the Serial otherwise both sets are wash so far extension air and sparkle. The main differences in how forward the Vortex sounds vs the Serial in comparison. Serial is a bit more traditional audiophile. The Vortex is a bit more mainstream a bit more exciting sounding but one with enthusiast's levels of technicalities.

I am comparing both sets using the included CS819 cable.
Interesting, would you say the vortex is brighter? And in terms of genre, I notice the Serials turn on fire when playing EDM...pop/rock is ok, but when sub bass dub tempo type stuff play the serial comes alive...really slams hard and deep with layered sound. The mids sound a bit grainy to me, hence my question about burn in. I'm hoping the mids firm up a bit...

Epic response, thank you!:)

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #5,207 of 13,726
I wouldn't say it is a brighter set. Its a more intimate sounding IEM vs the more broader sounding Serials. Different presentations was what I was getting at with the open vs closed can analogy.

Never heard a fatiguing sounding IEM from Penon and I have heard all of them. No need to worry about treble fatigue or anything like that.

If you got a new Serial, ya you have to burn them in fully. They have 3 different types of dynamics and each one is specialized for the region of sound it is taxed with. They don't sound great out of the box, I would say they need at least 150 hours or so of burn in for them to come correct.

Vortex however sounds fantastic out of the box. Though for folks that got them and never did burn in. I would suggest you do some burn in for them as well.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #5,208 of 13,726
@Penon can you provide a graph of the Vortex with the Y-axis scale visible?

Can't tell if it's increments of 5dB or 10dB and it seems to be scaring some folks away.
image (1).jpg

Of course,here it is

vortex graph.png

PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Jul 9, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #5,209 of 13,726
I wouldn't say it is a brighter set. Its a more intimate sounding IEM vs the more broader sounding Serials. Different presentations was what I was getting at with the open vs closed can analogy.

Never heard a fatiguing sounding IEM from Penon and I have heard all of them. No need to worry about treble fatigue or anything like that.

If you got a new Serial, ya you have to burn them in fully. They have 3 different types of dynamics and each one is specialized for the region of sound it is taxed with. They don't sound great out of the box, I would say they need at least 150 hours or so of burn in for them to come correct.

Vortex however sounds fantastic out of the box. Though for folks that got them and never did burn in. I would suggest you do some burn in for them as well.
Yes I burn everything... Wow, so the serials need 150 hours, that's a serious process, minimum 2 weeks the way I do it... nice to know!

Jul 9, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #5,210 of 13,726
Jul 9, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #5,211 of 13,726
Penon knocked it out of the park with Vortex, phenomenal set for a ridiculously low price - these could easily go head to head with sets 2-3x the price. I knew from impressions here that they were going to be great, but you can't beat validating with your own ears! Nitpick: I would like a bit more sub bass extension and a better stock cable.

20220709_155249.jpg

Jul 9, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #5,213 of 13,726
Vortex is my next purchase...but I have a question regarding the Serial. I bought it months ago and loved it but foolishly sold it for some quick cash, regretting it ever since. but! I just bought another one, and was wondering if anyone could tell me what changes in sound I can expect after burn in? Listening to the Serial now with a nice PW cable and my desktop....seriously good....

From memory - better coherence and more air in the treble (still can’t touch the Vortex though). I’d use Vortex for acoustic instruments (particularly strings, piano and percussion) and Serial for EDM (all about dat sub bass).

Penon knocked it out of the park with Vortex, phenomenal set for a ridiculously low price - these could easily go head to head with sets 2-3x the price. I knew from impressions here that they were going to be great, but you can't beat validating with your own ears! Nitpick: I would like a bit more sub bass extension and a better stock cable.

That’s exactly what’s happening here right now. I thought the Moonlight might eat the Vortex alive when it arrived but no, they’re holding their own very well. Very complementary. So yes, 3x the price. They’re not giving my other IEMs much of a chance though.

Jul 9, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #5,217 of 13,726
Yeah I'm using the long stem too but regular instead of light.

My new favourite tips got mine in yesterday great for short stem IEM and the bore is huge love them.

Attachments

• 20220709_094902.jpg
    20220709_094902.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220709_094756.jpg
    20220709_094756.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220709_094812.jpg
    20220709_094812.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #5,219 of 13,726
Using Azla Sedna Lights here.... the short stem works well for fit w/ my ears. I think the wide bore on these tips really helps open up the staging, and instrument layering/ placement.

Jul 9, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #5,220 of 13,726
Yeah I’d use the regular ones too if I could remember which IEMs they’re currently sitting on 😣

What cable are you using?

I've got this one on order, from AE and only shipped a few days ago but I'm looking forward to trying on Vortex. I bought on a whim simply as I thought it looked nice, plus during the sale and worked out around €110.

Screenshot_20220702-181206_AliExpress.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back