The Peerless PMB-80 appreciation thread (PMB-6, 8, and PMB OEM owners also welcome)
Feb 9, 2010 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

DefectiveAudioComponent

Headphoneus Supremus
There just has to be a thread dedicated to the fantastic sound of the old orthodynamic Peerles MB headphones, in particular the PMB-80.

pmb80.jpg

The key behind the fantastic clear and textured sound is the PMB 55mm orthodynamic driver (that was also available in smaller sizes). (here,with one magnet lifted off)

pmb80diaphragm2.png

(the magnet that was lifted off)
pmb80magnet2.jpg

I'm just floored by the naturalness of the sound, fully enjoying the Beethoven 9th by Szell, 1961. (I admit I was not there, back then, so I am not 100% sure about the actual naturalness...).

It's not got the flattest sound around (rolled off bass), but it sure got that hard-to-pinpoint thing that makes music so enjoyable.

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 25
I wholeheartedly concur. It may not be full range, in your face bass that rumbles your rectum, or trebles that shatter your corneas, but oh my, it has a je-ne-sais-quois in the beautiful natural timbre of the sound.

Truly a lovely headphone, its a shame iv only ever seen one.

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 25
Just a little warning: STAY AWAY from Peerless OMB 4! They're dynamic, 400 Ohms and sound as s**t. I think they're freq responce starts at 200 Hz. Absolutely no bass respose.

Mar 7, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeckyllAndHyde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a little warning: STAY AWAY from Peerless OMB 4! They're dynamic, 400 Ohms and sound as s**t. I think they're freq responce starts at 200 Hz. Absolutely no bass respose.

Yikes, I hope it wasnt you who picked it up on ebay recently and thought it was an orthodynamic!

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #9 of 25
Thanks GOD no! I picked them today at local flea market - I paid 3 Euro (it doesn't feels too low when I think about it now). The only thing good at these headphones is headband (even the cable is crap)

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #10 of 25
got them!
biggrin.gif

When I was writing the above I'd never expected to get PMB80 4 months later :)

They are VERY similar to the vintage DT880 - I'd say that some elements are exactly the same. The black pleather from my pads peeled completely off - what makes the bass response even worse - and giving some weird channel unbalance. i tried them with pioneer HDJ1000 (they're a bit smaller and supra-aural) and what u say! Da bass is there! And they sound really nice indeed! On par with K240M I'd say, and a bit better than my electet Philips.

I think I've got some circumaural leather pads laying somewhere around - I'll check them and will post the listening impressions ater on, but I've got the feeling that standard ortho-pads (also:leather, supraaural and flat) may be the right choice for them.

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #11 of 25
You got deep bass as well there, without any mods except for the pads?
(what's the size of those pads?)

What PMB driver is inside of it?

Quote:
got them!
biggrin.gif

When I was writing the above I'd never expected to get PMB80 4 months later :)

They are VERY similar to the vintage DT880 - I'd say that some elements are exactly the same. The black pleather from my pads peeled completely off - what makes the bass response even worse - and giving some weird channel unbalance. i tried them with pioneer HDJ1000 (they're a bit smaller and supra-aural) and what u say! Da bass is there! And they sound really nice indeed! On par with K240M I'd say, and a bit better than my electet Philips.

I think I've got some circumaural leather pads laying somewhere around - I'll check them and will post the listening impressions ater on, but I've got the feeling that standard ortho-pads (also:leather, supraaural and flat) may be the right choice for them.

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #12 of 25
well You're talking with K701 user - and I believe the K701 have nice bass :)

PMB-80 with the pads I got them have had absolutely no bass. perhaps its juts "hey, something's there!" - I definetely gotta listen them more with diffrent pads.

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #13 of 25
Right!
Now how about the driver? What's in there?
(You need to open it up anyway if you want even more bass, to block the bass cancelation vents.)
Is yours nasal in any way? (mine became a bit nasal with some of the mods I have tried)

Quote:
well You're talking with K701 user - and I believe the K701 have nice bass :)

PMB-80 with the pads I got them have had absolutely no bass. perhaps its juts "hey, something's there!" - I definetely gotta listen them more with diffrent pads.

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #15 of 25
Great photos...I hope the GMP newer pads will fit, they can add some sound stage and maybe bass too. lol, I have the pads, now I would like to have a pair : )

BTW, someone can compare them to the T-20 v2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back