The paradox that is the Sony MDR-R10
Mar 21, 2005 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Canman

Headphoneus Supremus
How can a colored headphone sound so detailed and transparent? Furthurmore, how can a headphone that is considered colored offer the clearest window into a recording short of the Qualia and Senn HE-90?

The coloration of the R10 seems to come from its ability to make tones sound richer than they do with other headphones. This sense of richness isn’t exactly warmth in the classical sense: I’d even call the R10 on the brighter side of neutral (coming from the dark Omega II it is certainly brighter than I’m used to). The R10 is a fast and detailed headphone; harmonic textures and microdetails are rendered with astonishing ease. What amazes me is that the sense of richness and the clarity coexist at the same time. It’s like having your cake and being able to eat it too.

Another impressive trait is the R10’s seamless integration of left to right soundstage as well as bass, mid, and treble. When listening to the R10, one gets a sense of a large, cohesive soundstage. There are no concentrated spots where images seem to congregate. This gives music a three dimensional appeal; more so than even the Stax Omega II because the image is portrayed slightly in front of the head rather than in between the ears. This seems to be the work of angled drivers. In the same manner, when listening to the R10, the traditional characterization of bass, mid, and treble doesn’t come to mind because the frequency ranges meld so well together.

One lesson I have learned with the R10 is that it takes time to get familiar with different portrayals of music. The first couple of times I tried them I came away impressed but for some reason or another I never seemed to figure them out. It wasn’t until the last time I spent some time with them that it really hit me. This might be due to the fact that the R10 that I heard most other times was an older one and may have sounded different in the lower frequencies. I’ll have to do a comparison of the older version with mine now that I am more experienced with the R10.

Right now I am driving the R10 (serial no.1186, built in 2004) with a fairly maxed out Singlepower Maestro ZR and the Meridian G08. I am using a KenRad VT-231 driver and Sylvania VT-231 output tubes. I have tried using the Tung-Sol Roundplates as output tubes but so far I prefer the KenRad/Sylvania combo.

So is the R10 a colored headphone? I really don’t care. This combo just makes music. I totally get lost in it and lose track of time. Even tracks that I found slightly irritating before are intriguing. I’ve been going through that stage where one goes through their music collection, listening to everything as if for the first time. I liken the R10 to a narcotic: it has sedating and hypnotic tendencies, only it’s legal!
r10smile.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
I liken the R10 to a narcotic: it has sedating and hypnotic tendencies, only it’s legal!
r10smile.gif

Welcome ot the euphonic team!!!! Well it might be legal but a hell of an expensive narcotic drug, eh???...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 56
Hey Brian, you sure have assembled a wonderful system there! The G08 and maxed out Maestro ZR don't hurt the R10's one bit, I'm sure.

As I read through your comments, I couldn't help but nodding along each step along the way in agreement. You seem to hear things just as I do, and I agree that the R10's allow you to get swept away in the music as you work your way through your music collection for the first time (again). Whether this translates into 'colored' sound really becomes irrelevant when you're having that much fun.

BTW, what interconnects and power cords are you using? I've found that the Maestro seems quite sensitive to i/c and p/c swaps, and have settled in on the Virtual Dymanics Master series, as has Hirsch with his Singlepower amp, I believe.

Mar 21, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 56
Sov, I felt silly spending that much on a headphone, but now that I've had a taste, it would be difficult to give up!

Wayne, Right now I am using cables that I have around the house. Interconnects are homemade with Mogami microphone cable and power cords are PS Audio Prelude and Plus. I don't plan on rolling power cords but I do plan on getting a better interconnect since the Mogami cable isn't very good. I am going to try a few things at the Maryland meet, but the Bogdan Gold/Silver is at the top of my list to try since I liked it so much in my Stax system.

Mar 21, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
Sov, I felt silly spending that much on a headphone, but now that I've had a taste, it would be difficult to give up!

If this make you feel better, and being totally honest with you, (sssshhhhh....but don't tell anybody OK?) If I just had the money to go for it, I would be the worst R-10 junkie on earth....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 56
I finally got to hear the R-10 at Zanth's, and I can tell you it is one overly bright, bass-less headphone. It sounds great at first...such detail, such transparency, such airiness. Then after a while you realize it's adding this top end glaze to everything, so instrumental timbres are rendered all wrong, and there is no bottom end presence or impact whatsoever. With tympani, you can hear very clearly the mallets hitting the skin but the body is just gone. Everything floats, screeching with no foundation to sit on. IMO the most overpriced, overrated headphone I've ever encountered. But if I saw one for $100, I'd buy it anyway.

Oh, we used the Emmeline Stealth and the EAR HP4...

Mar 21, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 56
Very well said, Brian. As Wayne wrote, you managed to succinctly nail down all the great points of the R10's. They are a truly great headphone. Congrats on your purchase! Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
it is one overly bright, bass-less headphone.

That's the opposing viewpoint that I've occasionally read about the R10's on this board, and I cannot possibly fathom how anyone can come to that conclusion about those headphones. Bright? Bassless? Even out of the headphone jack of a Sony CD player, I never found the R10's to be either of those things. And when sourced & amped well (as the Stealth & HP4 do), they are simply stellar, imo.

Funny how we can hear things so differently *shrug*! That's save you a lot of money though
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 56
I have heard the R-10, a few times and briefly, out of Singlepower Maestro, Supra, the Cary modded, RKV, RP33, SR-71, Solo, Melos, and my PPA, and out of all jacks of CD players and SACD players in the place, and honestly in any case it was bass lean, nor overly bright, but yes, it was so extended and detailed, that made the rest of the headphones there (HP-1, PS-1, HD650) sounded so dull in comparison that I had croosed them out of my list for good....

Mar 21, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Funny how we can hear things so differently *shrug*! That's save you a lot of money though
wink.gif

No, only $100.
biggrin.gif

But seriously, I'm not one to argue with anyone about what they hear. Beagle is an experienced headphone kind of guy, so it's not as though he doesn't know what he likes, or 'how' to listen (such that headphone listening it is an art/skill). What Canman has said is much more representative of my experience with the R10's, as is jpelg's assertion that they don't seem at all bright or lacking in bass (to my ears) even out of an unamped pcdp. Although I've heard a lot of other good ones, the R10's remain my first choice for dynamic headphones with most music most of the time. But still, it's always interesting to read dissenting views, and there is no need to defend anything one way or the other. Different views are just different views, and part of the mystery of the hobby that makes it fun.

Mar 21, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #10 of 56
I've been listening to my R10 for a couple of hours a day, for the past few months. I also listen daily to a K1000, and RS-1. Although all these headphones sound great, the R10 is very clearly superior to the other two. Where a CD program contains deep bass, the R10 presents it beautifully, and with lots of detail. I usually drive the R10 with a SinglePower SDS, with the source being a Dennon 2900 modded by Exemplar Audio. When compared to all of the headphones that I've ever sampled, and there have been lots of them, the R10 is IMO superior to all of them.

Mar 21, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 56
My opinion of the R10 has varied wildly from crap to overpriced to exquisite. The exquisite part is more recent after spending quality time with this headphone with quality supporting equipment. I still think it is one of the best headphones out there...some kind of magic about them...

BUT

The Orpheus really REALLY stomps all over the R10 at least to my ears...My initial experience with the Qualia was disappointing...I spent time with it again recently and again...disappointing...I think it will take time for people to find the right setup for this headphone and maybe then I will enjoy it.

R10 is already well researched and tweaked by several people on the forums...too bad they stopped production. Imagine if they started again by popular request and sold for under $1000.00
tongue.gif

Aah...dont take my dreams away from me
tongue.gif
LOL

Mar 21, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Very well said, Brian. As Wayne wrote, you managed to succinctly nail down all the great points of the R10's. They are a truly great headphone. Congrats on your purchase!That's the opposing viewpoint that I've occasionally read about the R10's on this board, and I cannot possibly fathom how anyone can come to that conclusion about those headphones. Bright? Bassless? Even out of the headphone jack of a Sony CD player, I never found the R10's to be either of those things. And when sourced & amped well (as the Stealth & HP4 do), they are simply stellar, imo.

wink.gif

Maybe the R-10's are not for Beagle. Maybe there are some things the R-10's do better than any grado he has heard. And other things he feel they don't.

Mar 21, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 56
Canman: I am glad you are enjoying the Maestro/R10 combination. In my experience, it is the best. Admittedly, I am an Orpheus free carbon based unit (perhaps a trip to the Caymans will correct that one of these days), but I can't imagine any more enjoyment of music from a set of headphones. The R10's, to my ears, particularly from a big SinglePower (Maestro, SDS), are as good as it gets. It's like a straight line to the artists, instruments, and soul of the performance. All temptation to analyze falls away, and pure enjoyment of the music takes over.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Mar 21, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #15 of 56
Can't say they made a huge fan of me at the meet where I was able to sample them. Sure, they're incredibly detailed and airy (not to mention very comfortable to wear), but as has been menioned, it seemed like there was just no body to anything. No real bass to speak of to fill things out.

With the few pieces of music I listened to where the lack of low end oomph didn't detract from the experience, they were fantastic. But rock (for example)? Forget it.

Numerous sources and amps, too. DAC-1/BiCode, 1212m/MPX3, my laptop/Headsave Classic, TrevorNetwork's iPod, tiberian's Apogee Mini-DAC/Xtreme4077's King-o-PPAs, and proably a few other things I'm missing... All very lacking in body.

I think they're very nice for what they do well, but I agree with the folks here who just don't think they fit their price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back