the outside temperature
Dec 16, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #106 of 137
-16c, I don't even wanna walk the 50m to the store
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #107 of 137
I've got a "stuck in the cold" story for you. You may have read me posting about me growing up in Fort McMurray, and how it regularly drops below -40 there. Winter lasts 8 or 9 months there, and you get about three hours of daylight for most of those months (also it can rise to 100 F in the summer, it's a strange place). Imagine spending two entire winters in that kind of cold with no electricity in your home. I grew up in a poor family, in a rich town. Very bad combination. Electricity prices rose to a point where we couldn't afford it, so we did the best we could with candles and two small propane heaters.

As I mentioned, we were poor, so we lived in a mobile home (trailer). When there's a hole in the floor of your bedroom as there was mine, I could have had every candle and heater in the house and it wouldn't have made much difference. I was still in high-school during both of these years, which was very very hard. Difficult to do homework when it's cold enough to freeze the ink in a pen, or freeze your hand to a pencil, inside your home
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #108 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpalsm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a "stuck in the cold" story for you. You may have read me posting about me growing up in Fort McMurray, and how it regularly drops below -40 there. Winter lasts 8 or 9 months there, and you get about three hours of daylight for most of those months (also it can rise to 100 F in the summer, it's a strange place).

Not so strange. Fairbanks, AK is just like that. People we know who come to visit in the summer still question our judgement when we tell them it is hot enough that they don't need sweaters or jackets (Pushes right into the 90's). Of course none of them want to stick around for the fun stuff in winter when there's only a couple of hours of sun and temperatures can drop below -60 F.

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #109 of 137
I just got stuck in the cold for about 1 hour, in -10°C ...
The way back home from work usually take 1 hour with public transportation, but today it took 2 hours 40 minutes. ** MAD **

The winter have just started and I am pissed off already. Miss summertime when I can drive home in 25 minutes on the motorcycle.

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #112 of 137
Just a couple weeks ago we had about a 36-hour period where the temperature did not climb above 0 in Denver. We spent most the the week below freezing. That's a little unusual for this time of the year. In early January (or maybe late December) last Winter we had a day where temperatures were below -20 and wind chill dropped that to below -30. Usually our temperatures are relatively mild, though. And we don't really get much snow until close to Spring.

Dec 17, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #115 of 137
-18 and no engine heater... Equals hellish morning in a frozen car and same on the way back after work
frown.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #116 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it snowed here today, melted the instant it hit the ground of course. been really quite cold here, cold enough that ive actually had to put the heating on

Snowed here today as well.
smily_headphones1.gif
I wonder why our fingers curl up slightly when they get cold.

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #119 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oooooh was snow out this morn, must have been a good 3mm. its a wonder the city didnt grind to an absolute halt!!!

8 inches. I measured it with a special tool that I use for this.
devil_face.gif

Ian

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #120 of 137
I'm sure it wasn't 8 inches by the time you were done poking around in the snow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back