The Original Supra...and the Newest SDS (to date)
Sep 7, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #17 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schrieks
Uh-oh! Them's fightin' words!

I hope you get the best tubes to compliment your MDR-023.

ya, I'll have to convert my MDR-023 cans into ones with dual mono connectors. got some work ahead. so that'll be a 99 cent can (eBay price?) with two Neutrik connectors that cost ~$5 each. good thing is that it has a pair of wires coming out of each driver and goes all the way to the plug so all I have to do is replace the plug.

as for the tubes, I'll have to leave that up to Mikhail. I'll be sure to mention my dual mono MDR-023 when talking to him about the amplifier the next time I call him and hopefully he can recommend some tubes to me.

Sep 7, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #18 of 62
To answer the questions as best I can:

The weight is roughly 50 lbs.
tongue.gif

The transformer is a Plitron toroid
smily_headphones1.gif

The amp has a Goldpoint stepped attenuator.
The knob in back is an input selector. I wanted it in the rear, next to the inputs, to minimize internal wiring. There are two inputs and a preamp out. One of the headphone jacks is switched, and deactivates the preamp out. The other doesn't. Generally, the wild differences in impedances should make it undesirable to operate the unit as a headphone amp and preamp simultaneously (in theory. I haven't tried this yet).

Sep 7, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #19 of 62
That is one beautiful headphone amp and preamp. Another 100 hours of burn-in will definitely reveal more. After that the R10's will be permanently glued to your ears.

I am very impressed with the modified Maestro ZR received a short time ago. This headphone amp and preamp met all hopes and expectations. Extremely transparent, detailed and neutral. Mikhail is one talented individual.

If possible later on, please post your thoughts of the SDS as preamp.

Sep 7, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #20 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanahachi
to the man who found a funny looking amp on eBay and took a risk...congrats Hirsch.

Your SDS is something to behold. I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Take your time, enjoy it, but be sure to share
biggrin.gif

What he said.

Congrats Hirsch, I'm sure it sounds as awesome as it looks.
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 9:11 AM Post #21 of 62
Congrats Hirsch! Who's smiling more? You or the R10? Well now we know what to get for the man who already has two Supras.
biggrin.gif

BEAUTIFUL...BEAUTIFUL...BEAUTIFUL.....

Sep 7, 2004 at 10:09 AM Post #22 of 62
great, simply great

Sep 7, 2004 at 1:01 PM Post #24 of 62
Wow, what a beauty! I know that mikeg has a similar beast on order. The new and old SDS models sure have undergone some serious physical changes. It will be interesting to see learn more about your impressions of the sonic differences.

Sep 7, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #25 of 62
*hands making child-like grasps towards the SDS*

eek.gif
OOH! PWETTY! GIMME, GIMME, GIMME!

Sep 7, 2004 at 2:12 PM Post #26 of 62
Wow, that new SDS is huge! Heck, at 50 lbs, I could use it in my weightlifting routine. Hope its sound is as impressive as its looks.

Sep 7, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #28 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
I'll get essentially the same amp in early October, and comment on it's performance with an R10, HD650, and RS-1. BTW, it weights about 50 lbs.

One thing I can say is to not even try to comment on its performance until it has been broken in. The large caps (not just the big reservoir caps, but the internals as well) take a long time to form. Even though it already had 100 hours on it, the break-in period has been a wild ride so far. It's already a great amp, and each day is bringing new improvements. And I haven't even started seriously playing with tubes yet (I did try one or two changes. But I did manage to make it for 25 hours and 23 minutes of playing time before rolling tubes, a new record for me leaving the tubes alone with a new amp.
tongue.gif
).

Sep 7, 2004 at 2:48 PM Post #29 of 62
Is it just me or does seeing this thread posted next to the SR-71/Supermono size comparison cause anyone else to start laughing uncontrollably?
icon10.gif
I've got a sudden urge to post an SDS/Supermini size comparison photo...
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #30 of 62
Hirsch,apart from what you've already mentioned did you get any other upgrades?

My SDS-T should be here in a few weeks so you might be interested to hear what the separate tube power supply is like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back