The Original Supra...and the Newest SDS (to date)
Sep 7, 2004 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Hirsch

Why is there a chaplain standing over his wallet?
Time has passed, and the first Supra (it didn't even have that name then) has been here since Feb. 2003. When I got it, I was supposed to send it back after listening for final tuning. That never happened, as I think the original amp is still one of the best headphone amps ever built. However, the upgrade bug hit...and it was time to hear what Mikhail is doing now. It's fun to look at the two amps together.

sds1a.jpg

sds1b.jpg

The latest version is just a tad larger than the first
smily_headphones1.gif
The homemade steel chassis has been replaced by an outsourced painted chassis. This amp has two inputs and a preamp out.

Note the odd jack on the rear. This is for the optional defibrillator unit (maybe I can get Blue Cross to pay part of the cost...).
very_evil_smiley.gif
Actually, I had been debating a tube-rectified power supply. However, I also wanted the proven design. So, that odd jack is there to allow Mikhail to build an outboard power supply for the amp. It can take any power supply he builds to operate the Supra, which would simply replace the built-in supply. So, if I want to change or upgrade the power supply, I don't need a new audio circuit.

It's still way too early to make any sonic comparisons. The SDS has been changing rapidly since I got it a couple of days ago. The switches on the front of the original kick in a feedback circuit. I used it with the HP-1000 in the early going on the first amp, but left it alone after that. I don't thin Mikhail bothered with it in his other early amps.

Although the SDS had been burned in for around 100 hours before shipping to me, the sound is far from settled. Even now, I've got a new favorite amp for the R10.
smily_headphones1.gif
The level of detail, and sheer openness of the sound of this amp is stunning...and it's not done yet. More to come, once it settles in a bit more...

Sep 7, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 62
or they would think it looks like a bomb LOL

Sep 7, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
The latest version is just a tad larger than the first
smily_headphones1.gif

just a tad, eh? heh.

those are some huge caps on the SDS... much larger than I expected. (I know I saw the picture of the one at the recent new york meet... but I don't remember it being that large.) and the new transformer looks very cool too.

it seems like a very nice amp that you have there and great that it pairs well with the MDR-R10. what are the upgrades that are included in the amp and what tubes are you using?

I think I'll be joining the ranks of SDS owners soon... I've been talking to Mikhail recently and I'm apparently going for one that should push his building skills to the limit. (he did say that it will be a fun challenge for him to undertake at least) once I get more details about that I'll post about it in its own thread. it will take 6 weeks or so until it is made.

Sep 7, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 62
Sweet amp, Hirsch! Are the filter caps big enough yet? I like the addition of the transformer cover, and from the looks of it, I'll bet there is a fancy Plitron power transformer under there. Did you get a stepped attenuator? Looking forward to listening at the next DC area meet. Make sure it's well burned in for us
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 62
doesn't the SDS come standard with a goldpoint stepped attenuator?

Sep 7, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 62
to the man who found a funny looking amp on eBay and took a risk...congrats Hirsch.

Your SDS is something to behold. I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Take your time, enjoy it, but be sure to share
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 62
Thanks for the awesome picture Hirsch. That reminded me so much about SACD Lover's place where he placed pre-production MPX3 and maxed out MPX3 side by side. That is quite massive caps... it makes R10 look like a pair of ear bud by comparison
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #13 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Holy sh** that those caps are huge!!!!

What's that little silver knob in the back? Preamp output level control?

-Ed

For those of you have never seen a supra up close, the supra is huge. That new supra is gigantic. I love the look. sacd lover has Singlepower envy.
tongue.gif

I bet the control is to activate the preamp ouputs. I am guessing it switches between the headphones or preamp output. A level control is a cool idea though Ed.

Wait until Tom Hankins sees this new supra, he will flip.
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #14 of 62
wait until you guys see the SDS I'll have in a while.
biggrin.gif
now that will definitely be something.

it supposedly will be better than tom hankin's balanced SDS.
tongue.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #15 of 62
Uh-oh! Them's fightin' words!

I hope you get the best tubes to compliment your MDR-023.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
wait until you guys see the SDS I'll have in a while.
biggrin.gif
now that will definitely be something.

it supposedly will be better than tom hankin's balanced SDS.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back