"The Orange Box" for the PC is only $10 this weekend!
Apr 26, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bought it also. Is it possible to copy entire \program files\steam to another HD. If I wipe OS just copy it back and run it again?

I think so, yes. Also, you can right-click on the game in the My games list and select "Backup game files..." and select a backup location. Make that backup location an external hdd or whatever and just copypaste it when you need it.

Apr 26, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geruvah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If TF2 is included, why do I only have it as a guest pass?

It's most definitely part of The Orange Box and included. You get the game AND 1 Guest Pass, at least with the actual CD version you do.

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #35 of 44
Well, the deal is over, and within the last hour, I convinced two friends to buy it. One of them never even heard of Steam or The Orange Box before, but me and my friend hyped it up enough to know he was getting a good deal out of it.
tongue.gif

P.S. He owns a Mac (but has Windows XP in Boot Camp).
icon10.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #36 of 44
I used to have Half Life - Game of the Year

Half Life, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, and Team Fortress
biggrin.gif

Now it's like having them all over again.

Question, though - how graphically insane are these games? I remember doing a HL2 demo on my P4 2.4GHz with a Geforce 3, so hopefully it's not too crazy.

I'm running a HP laptop - pretty sure it's a Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz, 2GB ram, and Quadro FX 570 graphics. I should be good, right?

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #38 of 44
Agreed, Steam is a great way not just for Valve but for others to continue to sell old games. For example, I never played the Longest Journey, but I sure as hell don't want to spend $20 at a local game store to buy it, but can get it from Steam at $9. And then the convenience of never having to worry about my CDs, DVDs and finding No-CD/No-DVD cracks, yeah I love Steam. So far Orange Box, Warhammer 40K series and Longest Journy. Steam has been good.

Apr 28, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #40 of 44
Portal alone is worth $10. One of the funniest puzzle games ever!

BTW, I have a "gift" copy of HL2 if anyone wants it. PM your steam ID.

Apr 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The orange box is an amazing deal at $60. $10 is just absurd.

$60 is alright, not amazing, but $30 as it's listed right now is a good deal. I think people are getting used to paying high retail price for games. I would pay $89.99 for a Wii system, but not a single Wii game.

Without the gravity gun, hl2 would just be like any other run and gun fps, I actually get more challenge from the original hl. And for the record Half Life: Source was a waste of money, didn't look any better than the original. I like Steam so far as they haven't ban me yet, I'm still mad at their DODS update which made it arcadish like TF.

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question, though - how graphically insane are these games? I remember doing a HL2 demo on my P4 2.4GHz with a Geforce 3, so hopefully it's not too crazy.

I'm running a HP laptop - pretty sure it's a Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz, 2GB ram, and Quadro FX 570 graphics. I should be good, right?

The FX570 is probably around the level of the 8600GS or 8500GT for gaming, not great, but there are lots of graphical options you can turn down and it'll still look decent so you should be fine. You should turn down the special effects and off the HDR. Just leave the texture and models details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude
Bought it also. Is it possible to copy entire \program files\steam to another HD. If I wipe OS just copy it back and run it again?

Yes, it work fine, even with Wine.

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The FX570 is probably around the level of the 8600GS or 8500GT for gaming, not great, but there are lots of graphical options you can turn down and it'll still look decent so you should be fine. You should turn down the special effects and off the HDR. Just leave the texture and models details.

My laptop has 8600m gs graphics card and runs Half-Life 2 smoothly at 720p with all the settings at the highest level. (It also runs crysis at 720p and medium settings, oddly though it cant run bioshock to save itself).

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portal alone is worth $10. One of the funniest puzzle games ever!

BTW, I have a "gift" copy of HL2 if anyone wants it. PM your steam ID.

Lol, portal kicks. I love GladiOs... The Last level is hilarious!

I MISS MY COMPANION CUBE!
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back