The Open Pandora: An ultimate portable player?
Nov 7, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #182 of 364
all are 100% free to post comments/opinions in any thread - especially considering the conditions of the original post.
So, as they say: FIRE WHEN READY!!!

I'm not wanting to limit your speech, I'm asking for some respect and civility in this thread. Can you handle it?

Is it really necessary to hate and disrespect this indie device?

Open Pandora is not "junk", and its plain trolling to say so.

Did you create anything good?  Please tell me about it.  I won't diss on it, unless you make me really mad.

Some people might want to learn about the Open Pandora, from people who know about it, rather than hurl crap at each other for laughs.

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #183 of 364
I see no reason at all to diss this unique, indie product.

I would not buy a Pandora just to play music.  If you want a hifi that fits in your pocket, it's overkill for that.

But, for someone like me who loves music, gaming and coding, this is the best pocket device bar none.  Nothing comes close to it.

Yes, it is a niche market, yes it is expensive, but that's no reason to diss it.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #184 of 364
As for "out of date", I have something to say about that.

It's 4 years since Pandora was designed, and the prototypes built.  Pandora remains the best and only device of its type.

You can find a phone with a faster CPU (irrelevant for audio);

What you won't find, is any other pocket computer with keyboard, gaming controls, full Linux OS, dual removable media, and yes - HIFI audio.

I only know one other device that has even two of these five rare features, the Nokia N900 phone (it has a keyboard and full Linux OS).  That's awesome, so I bought one.

The upcoming iControlPad 2 (by Open Pandora) also gets two stars - you can add keyboard and gaming controls to your phone.  That awesome too, so I ordered one.

The "five star" Pandora is beyond awesome.  It's like a super-charged pocket Amiga.  So far, I bought three of them.

If you do know any other device like this, please tell me about it.  You can start a thread about it.  If not, quit with the "junk" and "out of date" already.

Sure, there are other great features that the Pandora does not have.  It does not include a GPS, a cell-phone, a 3d screen, a camera, a terabyte hard drive...

I love Pandora for its what it does have, and I don't much miss what's missing.

Again, I see no reason at all to diss this unique, indie product.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #185 of 364
Its not just dissing its generally pointing out that its a poor concept and is going to be evident in how this device fades from memory.  And saying things like "this is the best pocket device bar none" is just ridiculous it is not otherwise you would have people lined up outside your pandora stores.  Thats not a apple reference by the way thats just pointing out if it really was good it would people would actually be interested, your participation in the product has clouded your actual viewpoint of its worth.

Screen to small for desktop OS even in various linux formats, especially in extended use.
Keyboard, really what are you going to want to type on that for.
Screen resistive, fair enough its makes stylus input better on the device than the issues with a capacitives screen and standard desktop os but yeh that worked well for windows mobile/palm/any windowsxp/vista/7/linux convertable or table.  Utter horror to use in an efficient manner.
Gaming controls for such games, jeezo how small and niche is that market in portability terms, damm im on the go I sure want to whip out (insert title here) and play it on a small ass screen.  
Dessign ugly as hell
Processor under powered.
Reported wifi sucks.
smartphones and tablets are better supported, cheaper more aesthetically pleasing  Do almost anything better in a smaller package and with ubuntu android.... well.......

Fact of the matter people were calling this outdated 2 years ago (see almost any tech blogs comment sections), Nowadays everything else is just blowing it completley out the way and this is only going to get worse for your project over the coming year in the pandoras current itterattion. 

I fully expect you to come back and dispute almost every point I have made above but at the end of the day the pandora team, should have started on something better and should be further down the line with that rather than throwing good time and money after bad.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #186 of 364
If I were to design a headphone that can tell time, it'll simply be a terrible device to tell time with, I can advertise it as a headphone that has the feature of telling time, but that's it, if I want to compete with the stuff watchmakers put out, then it'll utterly fail. Similarly with the Open Pandora, the size of the device is just too big for a portable music player, at 5.5 inches long it'll be 10% longer than a SIII, which is already a length that is inconvenient for most. For a computer, sure, it has it's uses, but the Open Pandora is just not going to be the "ultimate portable player" the OP suggested it would be.

If I want to play games on the go, I'll get a PSV or whatever it's called nowadays, which can emulate old games too IIRC. If I want to code, or do any type of work that involves typing on the go, I'll use a laptop, because I can get much more done on the bigger keyboards. A smartphone can have Linux based OSes installed on them, an example would be Ubuntu on the Nexus S. If someone needs to use a Linux based OS, play games and code at the same time on a portable device, I'd really have ask why?

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #187 of 364
As for me, I don't hate this device, I actually kinda like it. But without "BUILT IN" 3/4G it's no good for me.

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #188 of 364
Quote:
Its not just dissing its generally pointing out that its a poor concept and is going to be evident in how this device fades from memory.  And saying things like "this is the best pocket device bar none" is just ridiculous it is not otherwise you would have people lined up outside your pandora stores.

I wasn't gonna post in this thread anymore but this statement is just so full of bullsh-t that I can't just keep quiet.

Why are all of the talentless mainstream artists so popular and the musical geniuses aren't? 
Why are all of the ****ty Call of Duty and Halo games so popular and the really good games are overlooked?
Why are all of the horrible headphone brands like Beats and Bose the ones that everyone loves?

Popularity doesn't equal quality. It never will. Don't ever say something so stupid again. Jesus.

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #189 of 364
Quote:
As for me, I don't hate this device, I actually kinda like it. But without "BUILT IN" 3/4G it's no good for me.

You might want to stick around for the Pandora 2; that's a feature many have asked for and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they added it.

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #190 of 364
Quote:

Why are all of the ****ty Call of Duty and Halo games so popular and the really good games are overlooked?

Diss Call of Duty all you want, but keep in mind that Halo is not a bad game, as your post seem to imply. In fact it'll be very hard to find games with story lines as massive as the Halo series.

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #191 of 364
Quote:
Quote:

Diss Call of Duty all you want, but keep in mind that Halo is not a bad game, as your post seem to imply. In fact it'll be very hard to find games with story lines as massive as the Halo series.

Halo 2 is a phenomenal game. The first was pretty good too. I didn't mean the whole series.

Then again, Halo 3 sucks, ODST was a joke, Wars was garbage, the only good thing about Reach was the multiplayer, and Halo 4 is an absolute monstrosity. The "massive" story is bloated and full of controversy and contradictions. It was good for a while, but Microsoft ruined it.

Anyways this isn't the thread (nor the forum) to talk about video games. It was just an analogy.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #192 of 364
Quote:
Halo 2 is a phenomenal game. The first was pretty good too. I didn't mean the whole series.

Then again, Halo 3 sucks, ODST was a joke, Wars was garbage, the only good thing about Reach was the multiplayer, and Halo 4 is an absolute monstrosity. The "massive" story is bloated and full of controversy and contradictions. It was good for a while, but Microsoft ruined it.

Anyways this isn't the thread (nor the forum) to talk about video games. It was just an analogy.

Point taken. Although the novels by Greg Bear (forerunner trilogy) was very good, and so is the other non-game contents.

OT: Will there be smartphone level hardware in the next version?

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #193 of 364
I have one, I loved it for what it does that is gaming and having a physical keyboard, but I don't think its the ultimate media player, many thing does it better than the open pandora for its size,the size is pretty much the galaxys3 + one of the USB dac that is compatible with it , if you put it on a gaming/coding forum it may have a more positive response, but this is an audio forum, people compare it in terms of audio quality to same priced/same sized device , it looses out quite a bit when you think of it that way
sure none of that device do full linux, with keyboard and gaming controls, but we are pretty much talking about it as a media player

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #194 of 364
Quote:
I wasn't gonna post in this thread anymore but this statement is just so full of bullsh-t that I can't just keep quiet.

Why are all of the talentless mainstream artists so popular and the musical geniuses aren't? 
Why are all of the horrible headphone brands like Beats and Bose the ones that everyone loves?

Popularity doesn't equal quality. It never will. Don't ever say something so stupid again. Jesus.

Pretty stupid post if you ask me, just because something is popular its not quality? and vice versa.  People though can spot a pointless dated piece of nonsense a mile away.
I know your kinda eclectic and would be the type of person to want to show off his pandora and tell people how great it is but ultimately they know its lemon.

As for the pandora 2, good luck for it but the concept will already be dated and by the time they get it anywhere near market technology will yet again have flown right past it.  Sometimes folk cant see the forest for the trees!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back