The Open Pandora: An ultimate portable player?
Oct 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #91 of 364
If all the trolls moved on OP would have to leave. 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Unfortunate to see that the same trolls who were trolling this thread on day one are still present and still derailing the thread. Time to move on trolls.

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #92 of 364
Oct 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #93 of 364
Like you aren't? This isn't a Sound Science thread. Free advertising is one thing, but openly saying that this device out does anything else when you don't even have yours yet is just wrong. 

This entire thread is ridiculous. I like the Pandora, just not at it's current price. It does a lot of things right, but attacking other devices when you haven't even spent a decent amount of time comparing (or even with the device) is ridiculous and misleading.

Quote:
Now you're just picking fights. 

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #94 of 364
Like you aren't? This isn't a Sound Science thread. Free advertising is one thing, but openly saying that this device out does anything else when you don't even have yours yet is just wrong. 

This entire thread is ridiculous. I like the Pandora, just not at it's current price. It does a lot of things right, but attacking other devices when you haven't even spent a decent amount of time comparing (or even with the device) is ridiculous and misleading.

+1

This is nothing more than a free advertising thread for an overpriced & outdated device. For the Open Source crowd this is great, but for the audio enthusiast this is not feasible. Really,...who are the REAL trolls??? This is an unwarranted sales thread, and nothing more.

The TRUE trolls are the sudden new members extolling it's many benefits. This isn't a device for the Head-Fi community. Great for (illegal) gaming, not a dedicated audio device.

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #96 of 364
This is not an advertisement thread. I'm sharing my discoveries about this handheld with the other members of this forum. That's what makes this forum so great, people come in talking about obscure **** that sounds great. The Monoprice 8320 is one example of this. I'm doing the exact same thing.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #98 of 364
Oct 7, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #99 of 364
Quote:
This is not an advertisement thread. I'm sharing my discoveries about this handheld with the other members of this forum. That's what makes this forum so great, people come in talking about obscure **** that sounds great. The Monoprice 8320 is one example of this. I'm doing the exact same thing.

It's the way you talk about it. The way you belittle other peoples comments. The way you act like the wise guy, when your experience is tiny. Heck, you don't even own the damn thing. It drives the hd650 to '95%' of it's level was what you and another dude claimed.
Mate, there's very little substance in what you're talking about, especially what is relevant to headfiers.   

If you and your mates weren't pushing this thing as being the 'Ultimate' then you would receive much less slack. For £700 It's not the ultimate in any way (apart from maybe in the retro gaming scene in which case you've got the wrong forum- post under a gaming subheading or something).

Oct 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #102 of 364
I just tried swapping between the FiiO E17 and the Pandora with my HD 650 while playing some random tracks on both devices simultaneously (Tool, Bach and Koji Kondo). The loudness level were surprisingly similar with both devices volume controls maxed out (FiiO with 0 gain). Also, I must say that my ears have got some troubles detecting the differences in sound. They are there sure, but they are quite subtle. FiiO E17 outperforms the Pandora a little bit I would say, but not by much. The FiiO sounds a bit clearer (Sennheiser veil?), especially in the high-mid to high range.

How much this amateurish review is worth I do not know. But I want to make this very clear, I am not trying to sell anyone a Pandora.

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #103 of 364
Quote:
I am not trying to sell anyone a Pandora.

And neither am I.

I said ultimate portable player to get people to click on the topic. And, considering all of the things the Pandora can do in the music department, I think ultimate is a very suitable word. Good stock components, support for external dedicated DACs and amps, and potential for more storage space than I've seen in any handheld device, anywhere. Even if the device is unwieldly, looks cryptic, and costs a fortune, these are still great features to have when you're trying to squeeze as much performance as you possibly can out of your portable rig. 

I don't mind carrying a boatload of components with me if it produces good results, and I know that there are many others on this forum who feel the same way. That's what cargo jeans are for. 

Sorry if I came off as rude. Some of the asinine responses I was receiving ticked me off. 

Also, whoever said it: emulating games is not illegal as long as you own the physical console and the game you are emulating.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #104 of 364
Quote:
They aren't even making money off it yet.

That's an understatement, more like they lost circa $300,000 due to various mishaps and are gradually working back to break even!

Quote:
And neither am I.

I am!  LOL

But, I don't actually stand to profit from it as I'm not associated with the company, just a fanboy so that doesn't count... or does it?

Honestly, we're all trying to sell you a Pandora, because we love them, and because the company lost a lot of money and could do with a bit more, and because Pandora has elite audio.  Or at least, really damn sweet purposefully well-engineered audio, guaranteed better than your phone or iPod, or your money back!  And can I interest you in an iControlPad on the side?  It doesn't have audio but.

Ok have a nice day now.

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #105 of 364
Just found this thread as it was linked to on our own OpenPandora forums.

I've owned a Pandora for 1 and a half years and have used it *ALMOST EVERY DAY* since getting it. (a claim I can't make for any other device I've owned).

I'm certainly no audiophile, but from my extensive experience with this wonderfull little machine I will tell you the OP isn't talking crap.

I'm somewhat shocked by the passionate negativity directed at the Pandora...? By people who have never even tried one out??? Seriously?

When I first plugged in a pair of bog standard earbuds my jaw literally dropped open the sound was so surprisingly good.
Let me repeat that I'm not an audiophile, so I haven't had the fortune of experiencing much high-end audio equipment in my life... but of every device I have had a play with (iPhone 4, HTC Sensation), the Pandora is by far the superior device in the audio department.

Just recently bought myself a pair of Creative WP-350 Bluetooth headphones (can't afford anthing more expensive).
And I can tell you that if the sound the Pandora produces through ordinary earbuds amazed me, the sound through my WP-350's is literally orgazmic. (for me anyway).

EDIT: Oh, and yes - the battery life on the Pandora is legendary, especially with the recent firmware updates. 60+ hours music playback confirmed.

But don't take my word for it - why not read this instead, by someone who knows what they're talking about:
http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=display&thread=8422

Users who are viewing this thread

Back