The Open Pandora: An ultimate portable player?
Oct 3, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #46 of 364
Quote:
Reality and reasonability are not topics that can be connected to this forum so easily. The Open Pandora is not to be sold to people who expect something trimmed and smooth like an iPod touch, which in fact is better in almost all sections but sound quality. AND this is the reason why the Pandora is discussed here. The Pandora is an 99% engineers product, there is no marketing team or cost management team behind it... I assume.

You're correct. They have no marketing department. They ARE working on a price drop, however. I assume this will increase popularity in the future.

However, that price drop may be very far off. They're working on proper marketing at the moment.

Oct 3, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #47 of 364
Quote:
You're correct. They have no marketing department. They ARE working on a price drop, however. I assume this will increase popularity in the future.

However, that price drop may be very far off. They're working on proper marketing at the moment.

:) everything is kind of interconnected. If theay can make the Pandora more popular and sell more units, the price would also fall, because fixed costs can be divided by a bigger number and the parts cost drop by a percentage...

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #48 of 364
BTW: saying the iPod touch is inferior in sq is actually straight up BS. You assume,...bad idea. When you make false claims your whole argument falls apart. This thing is long past it's outdated prime. Enjoy the antique,...

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #50 of 364
Quote:
BTW: saying the iPod touch is inferior in sq is actually straight up BS. You assume,...bad idea. When you make false claims your whole argument falls apart. This thing is long past it's outdated prime. Enjoy the antique,...

Quote:
+1 billion

+1 billion more

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #51 of 364
Quote:

Though I do not recall ever saying anything about it, the iPod Touch has atrocious sound quality in comparison to the Pandora. I've used an iPod Touch before. It's not exactly a powerhouse.

It has components that are no better than the iPhone, and the iPhone is very average. It's good, I'm not saying it isn't, but it can't hold a candle to the Pandora or any audiophile DAP on the market,

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #52 of 364
I'd buy one at 1/3 the cost of the 1ghz unit. 

A 256gb SS portable player that will run whatever media player I want and have the ability to work with an external DAC if I so desire? I'm in...for the right price.

I'd seriously like to see a more sleek device with dual SD slots. I'd buy one right up.

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #53 of 364
Quote:
Though I do not recall ever saying anything about it, the iPod Touch has atrocious sound quality in comparison to the Pandora. I've used an iPod Touch before. It's not exactly a powerhouse.

It has components that are no better than the iPhone, and the iPhone is very average. It's good, I'm not saying it isn't, but it can't hold a candle to the Pandora or any audiophile DAP on the market,

Willing to bet the ipod would handle the pandora with a LOD and even a lowly e11, and still be thiner, and still have better battery life, and still be more functional and look better, and..........yeh lol

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #54 of 364
Quote:
Quote:

Willing to bet the ipod would handle the pandora with a LOD and even a lowly e11, and still be thiner, and still have better battery life, and still be more functional and look better, and..........yeh lol

And in what universe does an iPod touch have good battery life? And for that matter, since when are the looks of a portable rig important at all? It stays in your pocket 98% of the time. :/

Not to mention the fact that comparing units in the way you are is totally unfair. The Pandora is one singular device, and regardless of the size or thickness of the unit, it's still easier to manage than two devices. 

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #55 of 364
Quote:
I'd buy one at 1/3 the cost of the 1ghz unit. 

A 256gb SS portable player that will run whatever media player I want and have the ability to work with an external DAC if I so desire? I'm in...for the right price.

I'd seriously like to see a more sleek device with dual SD slots. I'd buy one right up.

$300-350 is the range I'd place it value-wise. (This is the 600 MHz, 512MB RAM version. The 1 GHz unit I'd value at about $575.)

These prices may be attainable in the future if marketing goes as planned. Your suggested price, however, is just far too low to ever happen.

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #56 of 364
Quote:
And in what universe does an iPod touch have good battery life? 

With the screen off, the 4th gen Touch just playing music gets pretty decent battery life, actually.

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #57 of 364
Quote:
And in what universe does an iPod touch have good battery life? And for that matter, since when are the looks of a portable rig important at all? It stays in your pocket 98% of the time. :/

Not to mention the fact that comparing units in the way you are is totally unfair. The Pandora is one singular device, and regardless of the size or thickness of the unit, it's still easier to manage than two devices. 

So much fail there ill not begin to start.   

Seriously how do you know this things merits on sq?  just because someone told you or you had a quick listen, oh i see you know what parts they use so throw them together and that makes good sq.  I dont think itll sound bad by any means but your making it out as a jesus player when in reality this pile of obsolete junk is just so deeply lacking in purpose everywhere else that it is not worth it. 

You seem like you are just trying to justify a bad purchase to yourself though.

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #59 of 364
Quote:
30+ hours i believe.

It's actually rated at 40, but that assumes 128kbps files are being used, which I suspect nobody here would be using....lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back