The Opamp thread
Feb 11, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #2,191 of 7,383
MikeW - the adapter you linked in your earlier post is for DIP8 chips. If you are getting 2 # AD797BRZ's You will need either 2 of these OR 1 of these and a steady hand for soldering.

The orientation is marked by a very small dot or circle at pin # 1 of the chip, this then corresponds with a dot or circle on the adapter also. If you look closley they are visible on the adapters I've linked. Just for clarity there are other adapters available apart from Browndogs (bit flimsy), These are the single units I get from e-bay and they are top quality.

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #2,192 of 7,383
There is a dot on top at pin 1. High input current bipolar op-amps aren't the best choice for I/V while they are great as output buffers, so the AD797 will be OK. Actually you'd better chosen a unity gain stable op-amp for I/V, too. The OPA827 fulfills both requirements and sounds nice.

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #2,194 of 7,383
BTW, a famous amp manufacturer just told me:
Quote:

The only difference between the AD797A-B version is, that the B-version has been slightly better input offset voltages and input offset currents.

As a disadvantage the B-version has a worse PSRR. It might be, that in your amp A- and B-version sounds different because the B-Version is more effected by the quality of the power-supply.

they use A.

Feb 11, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #2,195 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by synth123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So ROBSCIX do i understand this correctly the STX/ST will not support 797BR in the I/V positions (due to circuit design) but the 797BR in the buffer position will be ok (all with dual adapters of course)

Thanks,

I never tested the AD797 in the I/V, only the buffer.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #2,196 of 7,383
Ouch that is really expensive. Soldering is no problem for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I paid either US$49 or US$46, can't really recall, for 2 AD797BRZ to be mounted on these Single-to-dual Op-Amp Adapter (p/n 020302).

So can anyone tell me what "Application" my amp is using this opamp for? Is it I/V or Buffer? What does it mean that the opamps are surrounded by transistors? Browndog only sells the adapters 5 at a time, guess i could use some spares.

That is interesting what you say about the a vs b version leeperry, would be alot less hassle for me to order dip-8 version of ad797. I already have a browndog for that.

the AD827 is the easiest solution. It's dual channel, and dip. Simple drop in replacement for me. Hmmm..

I really don't care for the sound of LME49680. I've switched back to my AD743JN's and enjoy them more. But i'd like a more focused faster, less fat sound then what 743's are giving me, but similiar signature. I like the high's to be airy but not overdone, and I feel like the LME49680 is seriously over doing them, the mid-range is a bit "off" too.

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #2,199 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuben /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe instead OPA827 i should choose OPA627?

The 627 is opretty price in comparison to the OPA827. The OPA827 is still really new in comparison and many suggest it is just as good as the OPA627. If you want to go for the OPA627 your going to have to spend a bit of cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back