The Opamp thread
Jan 6, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #1,968 of 7,383
hey guys, i just read a few post about AD797BRZ's and i might give them a go. just wondering where would i be able to obtain the adapter for these. and if i am not wrong these will go into the buffer area? if so would there be any complimentary opamps for the i/v

Jan 8, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #1,970 of 7,383
I've never used the ARZ version but the other version is one of my favorites and I find that I keep coming back to them. I love the gobs of details and soundstage these AD797s give me.

Anyway, I've managed to make the LT1028 work in my amplifier with a little help from a close friend and am trying 2x LT1028 in signal and AD797 in ground. So far so good!
biggrin.gif

smini_k3pv_lq.jpg

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #1,971 of 7,383
ditto! I love 4*AD797BN on the DAC output and 2*LT1028ACN8 as final buffer, fantastic combo
smily_headphones1.gif

the 797B just has this totally versatile SS(no other chip I've heard can touch its SS), and the 1028A a very balanced/detailed sound w/ a fantastic non-bloated low end bass response
very_evil_smiley.gif

797B stays! but I'll try LT1677IN8 as buffer again, it's even more detailed but a tad too bright...and sort of "one color" only as Andrea would say
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #1,973 of 7,383
yeah, they come and go! so far I love this combo, it's about finding combos that work together ya know
smily_headphones1.gif

1028A as DAC LPF sounds very thin, and so does 797B as buffer...but the opposite sounds amazing!

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #1,974 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never used the ARZ version but the other version is one of my favorites and I find that I keep coming back to them. I love the gobs of details and soundstage these AD797s give me.

Anyway, I've managed to make the LT1028 work in my amplifier with a little help from a close friend and am trying 2x LT1028 in signal and AD797 in ground. So far so good!
biggrin.gif

smini_k3pv_lq.jpg

Were you having troubles with oscillation?

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #1,975 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of people use Brown Dogs But you can also get similar stuff of e-bay.

Not sure if they are suitable for your buffer channels though as they are quite tempramental, others will comment on this though. There's a lot about the 797's on the Fi-Quest thread as they are our weapon of choice.

I actually found the BD a bit flimsy, a pin on one of the adapters was bent and trying to rectify it only suceeced in breaking it off. I have an associate sending me higher qulaity units from Asia.
I think I might just dig into my education and design and fabricate some of my own.

Jan 9, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #1,976 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually found the BD a bit flimsy, a pin on one of the adapters was bent and trying to rectify it only suceeced in breaking it off. I have an associate sending me higher qulaity units from Asia.
I think I might just dig into my education and design and fabricate some of my own.

What were the adapters you used in your Forte review on guru3D? They did not look like BrownDog. Were they the ones from Auzentech?

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #1,977 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What were the adapters you used in your Forte review on guru3D? They did not look like BrownDog. Were they the ones from Auzentech?

Those are Auzentech branded opamps.

I don't use Browndogs, I tried them once and they were quite flimsy as I said a leg broke off just from straightening it out. I have been sent many other types from contacts around the world but I have been seriously considering just making my own. As they say, if you want something done right do it yourself.
We will see, I have too many project on the go as it is.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #1,980 of 7,383
Just got an e-mail from Farnell saying they are waving the carriage charges for US stock delivered to the UK. I want to take advantage but apart from the AD797BRZ's I can't really think of any other must haves.

I luuuuuuve the TO-99 versions of the 49710 and already have a few put aside (for a rainy day
smily_headphones1.gif
) can you guys recommend any other metal can must haves???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back