The Opamp thread
Sep 18, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #796 of 7,383
humm, strange...looks like this board needs to warm up to sound better? my 49720HA's are definitely burned in, but I was told that the board would take 10 days to sound its best(caps breaking in yada yada)...be it then, I never turn off my box anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

anyway, the trebles seem to have got a tad darker, to the point that I don't need to EQ to kill ear resonances anymore...dark sources sure are great, one day I'll have to try a Chinese tube amp...just scared of my cat burning her nose on the tubes
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #797 of 7,383
I build my own analog out for my X-Fi Elite Pro so its easier for me to roll opamp
biggrin.gif

Because new Prodigy HD2 uses OS-CON on output decoupling caps, I gonna try it
biggrin.gif

http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?ac...ost&id=1196380

Currently its powered by 350W PC PSU with better caps (12V), I'll build linear PSU soon

Opamp that I've tried on it is Ti NE5534, LT1677 and LT1363, my current favorite is LT1363, the LT1677 is too forward and bright, while the NE5534 is very loose bass and not much detail on the high. Ordered LT1028 and soon maybe LME49710HA
smily_headphones1.gif
Anymore opamp that can be used as active filters?

Sep 19, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #799 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypsee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I build my own analog out for my X-Fi Elite Pro so its easier for me to roll opamp
biggrin.gif

Because new Prodigy HD2 uses OS-CON on output decoupling caps, I gonna try it
biggrin.gif

http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?ac...ost&id=1196380

Currently its powered by 350W PC PSU with better caps (12V), I'll build linear PSU soon

Opamp that I've tried on it is Ti NE5534, LT1677 and LT1363, my current favorite is LT1363, the LT1677 is too forward and bright, while the NE5534 is very loose bass and not much detail on the high. Ordered LT1028 and soon maybe LME49710HA
smily_headphones1.gif
Anymore opamp that can be used as active filters?

There are two other members here using my dual LME49710HA modules. While they say they have a bit less mid bass then the LME49720HA, the have more low end extension and better sound staging.
They sound quite good based on my tests and you have the room for them.

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #800 of 7,383
I never did get to test out the 1363's in my zero. I loved the 1361's in the amp but I only had a pair of mdip 1363's so I didn't bother to get any adapters. One of my other favorite LT opamps was the 1208 but that's a dual. I believe the lt1224 is a single channel version of it based on the data on the LT site. I preferred LT's high speed opamps before I picked up some opa earths from kingwa.
smily_headphones1.gif

Is it just me or do those 2 caps look like the tops are bulging a bit?

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #801 of 7,383
If you like the sound of the LT1208, perhaps make a adapters to go for a dual channel opamp to a single channel socket. Would't be too hard I think.
I have dual single channel dip 8 to dual channly Dip 8 adapters. I am thinking I may have what you need to do this if your interested in trying it..let me look through my parts and get back to you.

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #802 of 7,383
Poop, thanks for the offer ROBSCIX. I should have quoted Apocalypsee. He said his current favorite were the 1363's so I was just trying to suggest something else in the LT high speed opamp flavor. That does make me wonder about how a dual opamp would sound adapted to operate as a single channel though. That is what you were talking about right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #803 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by crapback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never did get to test out the 1363's in my zero. I loved the 1361's in the amp but I only had a pair of mdip 1363's so I didn't bother to get any adapters. One of my other favorite LT opamps was the 1208 but that's a dual. I believe the lt1224 is a single channel version of it based on the data on the LT site. I preferred LT's high speed opamps before I picked up some opa earths from kingwa.
smily_headphones1.gif

Is it just me or do those 2 caps look like the tops are bulging a bit?

I have LT1361 but I put it on my dad VSPS (Very Simple Phono Stage) for his turntable. He likes it, and I liked it too
atsmile.gif

Thanks for the recommendation, I have ordered LT1028 yesterday, I feel guilty for requestiong a lot of free sample from them
redface.gif

Those caps are fine, probably because of the flash that makes it look buldge like that
tongue.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #804 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by loveyouso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand you guys... why stick to a very old opamp like the LT1057 and LT1056, which have high treble distortion too, according to: http://www.sg-acoustics.ch/analogue_...distortion.pdf

Because I go by what I hear, not what is measured.

Tried out the OPA2211AIDDA the last few days, and it too is a very good opamp. Clean and balanced sound with good instrument separation. Just maybe a tad overdone mid bass and not as solid as the LME49720HA, but music is fun to listen to with this one. The LT1057ACN8 still has more of a natural presence which makes my headphones "disappear," distortion or not...

Just soldered the LME49722MA onto adapters but I'll have to wait until tonight to get any peace and quiet.

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #805 of 7,383
Quote:

You guys are missing something by not hearing the LT1122. If you do, be sure to link the pins 7 and 8 of each chip together, for a 25% speed increase yielding better microdynamics. (do you trust me?)

Any resitors between or just solder bridging 7-8 pins? I've looked on Farnel and these aren't overly cheap so does any one else apart from Andrea have experience of the LT1122?

I'm using the LT1124 at present which is a fantastic chip, lightning fast and details a plenty. The LT1124 was recommended by Ryuzoh from Fi-Quest who are manufacturing the ibasso OEM amp (on my wish list)
biggrin.gif

OEMInternal.jpg

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #806 of 7,383
Quote:

Bottom line: the LT1363 is my choice.

until tomorrow, anyway
biggrin.gif

so do you think you can match/improve the low end bass response/soundstage of the 49720HA? you can prolly improve its trebles(that are quite whiny), but g*ddamn its bass and headstage are just "spot-on" to me, and the mids sound out of this world on electrostatic microphones (U87 and so) on my current setup
great_jo_62.gif

I've got a bunch of LT1364CN8, worth a try? LT told me it'd be the best choice for audio.

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #808 of 7,383
Quote:

Surely! It's an opamp that sounds quite natural (if treated correctly), plus it's unusually docile for a fast bipolar opamp.

That said, 2x LT1363 is audibly better.

will the 1364 match/improve the low end bass response/soundstage of the 49720HA? it seems to be the best you can get so far to me
redface.gif

it cuts the soundstage in many many slices(so cool on the super-wide cd3k headstage
biggrin.gif
), and it fetches the bass really really low.

this 30" FLAC sample is quite amazing in this combo: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

the strange sound on the left channel is literally living a life of its own
beerchug.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #809 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by shrisha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question to Opamps Gurus.

Thinking to get this cutie:

Super Slim Metal cMOY Headphone Amp (Ocean Blue Ver.) - eBay (item 250488848323 end time Sep-26-09 00:27:42 PDT)

Since it based on OPA2227 and OPA2227 is a poop, there is no way that it will stay there. What alternative could be the best for this board?
Thank you.

I wouldn't say it is "poop" as your stating. It has a great bass response and some like it mainly for that reason. However, if your comparing with the high grade opamps you can find today then the OPA2227 might lack in certain areas. I think the guy may have used this one for extra bass on his phones.
There are some better opamps out there though.

A quick choice would be the OPA2134.. which has a better mid/high range.
You can try a LM4562NA or possibly other from the family. I have never used Cmoy so I am unsure what would work or not work.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #810 of 7,383
I have sent my dual LME49710HA -dual metal can opamps to a few other people and they have verified my findings. They both say these opamps surpass the dual channel siblings.
Many of use that have done extensive testing with opamps know dual single channel modules will usually always surpass a single dual channel module.
Both state there is improved soundstage and high end extension a lower mid bass range but better overall bass extension. I am interested in making some
other dual TO-99 modules... Will post my pics once they are built

Users who are viewing this thread

Back