The Opamp thread
Sep 8, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #691 of 7,383
Yes, all the P3 and P3+ are Single channel sockets. L/R and G/V can also take dual opamps. Is that what you mean? I prefer the DIP 47910's in ground on the P3's.

I have rediscovered the AD823 this evening. I can understand why Graham Slee uses this in the Solo, man this is just fantastic!! Is there a dual version do you know??

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #695 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsatia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grr I can't seem to find the LME49710 on farnell, and I don't know where else I can get opamps from (without excessive shipping costs

? They do have them at Farnell LME49710

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #696 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I remember seeing a pic of them.
I thought those models at Brown Dog were for dual channel TO-99 only.
Good to know.

Here they are.... They don't cost the earth either.

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #698 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
? They do have them at Farnell LME49710

Ah right I was looking for them on the Singapore Farnell site though, and couldn't find it when I searched
redface.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #700 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I didn't get my opa1612's so I soldered up 4 pcs of opa1611 on a pair of dual so8 to dip adapters and I have to say the first thing I noticed is the noise floor simply vanished... before it was LOW, you had to turn up the volume to max to hear any static at all. Now it's just gone, I had to double check the amp was plugged in.
After some very short listening, these things will have to be on for awhile before I really make judgement, but they've got a lot of detail (maybe a tad bright(using HD650's), but don't hold me to that they are barely an hour old).. I'll have to desolder something off an so8 to dip so I can put the 5th one in the ground channel for testing.

Looking forward to hearing other peoples impressions of the 1611/1612.

Managed to solder the 1612AID's onto Brown Dog adapters - apparently successfully so since I've got some first impressions here:

I agree that they might be a tad bright, but less so than the LME49860. And they're really detailed in a good way, something which I might attribute to the slightly prominent highs. But even deep bass seems detailed, or you could say textured and controlled yet powerful - not at all boomy or hollow.

So, overall a very good opamp, fast and punchy with a huge soundstage, but I think I prefer the LT1057's still. I could have some oversight with the brightness in trade-off for that almost analytical detail and lovely bass.

Also managed to put the 49720HA's on adapters as well as a pair of OPA2211AIDDA's, so I need to find some time to try these out as well. Not to mention that I got myself some Monster Turbines, making for something to compare my DT150's to. If nothing else, a useful exercise listening to different combinations
beyersmile.png

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #701 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Managed to solder the 1612AID's onto Brown Dog adapters - apparently successfully so since I've got some first impressions here:

I am right behind you but I will be doing a new build in a few days.

Glad to hear positive feedback so far.

How did the soldering go?

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #702 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynips /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree that they might be a tad bright, but less so than the LME49860. And they're really detailed in a good way, something which I might attribute to the slightly prominent highs. But even deep bass seems detailed, or you could say textured and controlled yet powerful - not at all boomy or hollow.

So, overall a very good opamp, fast and punchy with a huge soundstage, but I think I prefer the LT1057's still. I could have some oversight with the brightness in trade-off for that almost analytical detail and lovely bass.

Also managed to put the 49720HA's on adapters as well as a pair of OPA2211AIDDA's, so I need to find some time to try these out as well. Not to mention that I got myself some Monster Turbines, making for something to compare my DT150's to. If nothing else, a useful exercise listening to different combinations
beyersmile.png

I pretty much experienced the same thing with the OPA1612. And, like you, I prefer the LT1057 over it and just about every other opamp I've tried (although the jury is still out on the LT1358CN8). In fact, I bought...yes, actually bought, a handful of the LT1057ACN8s for my other devices and for backups.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #703 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did the soldering go?

It was a fun experience, trying to work with such small things. I think the tip of my iron is somewhat too clunky, but with a little help of the soldering braid I managed to clean it all up and get rid of the bridges. Made me a little worried that I might have heated the opamps too long, but it seems that was not the case.

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #705 of 7,383
Hmmm..... think I have LT1057 around somewhere and don't recall being that impressed. For FET, a bit better than a TL072 perhaps, but not as nice as OPA827 as I recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back